Question

Tunein radio dropping out all the time now

• 20 April 2016
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Considering Sonos is not cheap, do you not think that they could find an alternative radio app? It's such a pain not to be able to listen to any BBC channels.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Sorry? All the BBC Radio channels are available on Sonos. I listen to them often, as do huge numbers of Sonos users. I do not experience any dropouts. If you do then you have a network problem that needs to be addressed.
And there is no radio app in Sonos. TuneIn just provides the streaming URLs. Sonos doesn't use the TuneIn app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes. When you add in all the regional BBC channels there are probably in excess of 50 to choose from

From the Iconic Radio 1, Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4, World Service, Radio 6 Music, 5 live Sport, the "Extra" channels, BBC Asian all your possible tastes are catered for.

Don't forget to switch the lights on next time you go home.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I didn't say there were;t any, I said they drop out, like they used to. Nothing wrong with my wireless connectivity. It's still a Tunein issue.
I didn't say there were;t any, I said they drop out, like they used to. Nothing wrong with my wireless connectivity. It's still a Tunein issue.

It still isn't because there are now four people just on this thread that don't have any problems with BBC radio streams.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Well if it's a Tunein issue perhaps you took a wrong turn at Mars because this is a Sonos forum.

Alternatively - Should you require assistance there are people on here willingly and able to help but if all you want is a moan have at it, we love it !
It's still a Tunein issue.
All TuneIn does on Sonos is act as a sort of directory listing, telling Sonos what the streaming URL is. Sonos then gets that URL directly and plays it. It doesn't go through TuneIn. So saying that Sonos needs a better radio app to play BBC stations properly was a complete misunderstanding of how things work. I suspect that your confidence that you don't have a network / internet problem is equally misplaced. Given the huge numbers of BBC listeners through Sonos this forum would be drowning in complaints if there were a general problem. So your options appear to be:
1. Continue to complain about the Sonos radio app, even though there isn't one
2. Give us more info so that we can help (is it really just BBC stations? what about music streaming services? locally stored content?
3. (Probably the best) Call Sonos Support and get your problem sorted out directly

I hope that helps
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
I listen to BBC on a regular basis, not daily but several times a week for several hours at a time. I have experienced no issues in the last few month except for a short period where Virgin Media were upgrading a local roadside box.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
My diagnostic ref is 6109941. thanks
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
So all the other threads titled "Tunein radio stations dropout" - you were equally rude and dismissive to them?
@SiobhanT. I think you'll find that when people come to the community with a clear statement of the problem, and ask for help, they will get loads of help. When they come on with an ill-informed complaint and an attitude, ......

Good luck and I hope your problem gets resolved
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So all the other threads titled "Tunein radio stations dropout" - you were equally rude and dismissive to them?

Well to be fair your original post was "Considering Sonos is not cheap, do you not think that they could find an alternative radio app? It's such a pain not to be able to listen to any BBC channels."

Your actual question wasn't "Please help me make the Tunein radio stations" work but rather "Do you not think they could find an alternative radio app" and then you made a throw away comment that the BBC radio stations don't work.

People actually do want to help. Believe me it gives us pleasure to help people out because we've ALL had issues occasionally with our Sonos and because we love it so much we aren't happy when it happens.

But when people post threads which contain more complaining than actual information that would allow people to help then you are likely to get prickly answers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
I'm sorry if it was me that appeared rude and dismissive. My statement was meant to lead to the impression that the app should work, as it does for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm sorry if it was me that appeared rude and dismissive. My statement was meant to lead to the impression that the app should work, as it does for me.

No should about it. The Tunein app works perfectly well. Sonos have millions of customers. If the Tunein app "didn't work" it would make news very quickly and this forum would be swamped.
Legnum Nick. I cannot believe that the OP's comments were aimed at you. At Stuart_W and at me, I assume.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Wasn't to you Legnum Nick.....Luckily, I have found help - not to mention lots of others with exactly the same problem. Hopefully now I'll try and sort it, rather than read sarcastic comments.

Sorry but I had this problem a year ago and thought it might have been resolved. To be responded to in the way I was, really got my back up.

No hard feelings - just frustrating
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Well to be fair you haven't' given us much to go on have you? Tune in radio drops out all the time is all we have. No idea what Sonos units you have, whether you are connecting via wi-Fi or SonosNet. No information as to whether or not other music services or local music is affected wor not.

Your original post, as I previously mentioned, didn't appear to be seeking help and was more of a moan.

Anyway, I hope you sort your system out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Glad you got help on that other thread. Go ahead and reply back there if you're still having trouble. If you're having trouble and you have time to troubleshoot it's always good to give us a call on our support line to work with a technician live. They are always a good way to get to the root of the issue quickly.
Badge
Hi,
I am having the same problem with BBC radio channels. Seems like a buffering issue to me.
I have rebooted my router (154Meg connection). Powered down/up my R1 and R3 but continue to get problems with the BBC radio channels.
All others that I have tried (about 12 non-bbc channels) stream OK with no issues. Music streaming from my andriod device is also OK.

I notice above that Siobhan H seems to have found help with this issue.
Any chance you can let me know what was done to rectify the issue?

PS. This has only started for me over the past 2 weeks. Was fine before then.

Cheers.
Bob.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Bob, we're currently looking into an issue with BBC radio stations dropping out which you may be experiencing. It's unrelated to the original trouble this thread was started for.

I just made a post in this thread around the trouble. If you haven't yet, it'd be great to give us a call on our support line.
Badge
Hello Folks, from the reading above I fear an element of ego is sneaking in. I have 3 Sonos 3s which I really like. I am using Tunein for radion feed and I have a good solid 70Mb fibre feed, but my radio stations do drop out all the time, which is a bit irritating. Question: John B (above) suggested that Sonos actually has its own radio feed. I am a bit new to this still, so if you could please expand a bit for me? I will keep looking but my first searches had me using Tunein due to not finding anything else. Is it me?
I have the same issues. I've had 2 Sonos 1s for about a month. The streaming radio services drop out all the time. I've had my incoming fiber cable checked and found no issues. It doesn't seem to matter what radio stations I'm listening to, they all drop out. However, if I stream the same station on my laptop through a website or on my iPhone using the app "Simple Radio," I have no problems. Sonos will drop repeatedly; I'll turn them off and start the stream on another device without problem; I'll return to Sonos, and the dropouts will continue. Any thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you're having audio drop outs on TuneIn radio, please send in a diagnostic report after the drops happen. Reply here with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.
Thanks Jeff. I've had a Sonos for about 10 days. After about an hour of listening to BBC radio (2 & 6) via TuneIn, it starts to drop out, which, as others have alluded to, is infuriating! Diagnostics report is 7151485. I'd welcome any suggestions as to how to resolve the situation please. Thanks in advance
My Sonos 1 has been dropping BBC radio stations since the last software update. I do not believe it is a wifi network issue as it only efects the BBC stations and none of my other wifi linked equipment have any problems. After I bought it (Christmas 2015) it constantly lost BBC radio stations but not other radio stations ( that i tried). The problem went away after a software update around August 16 but has now returned. It seems to stabilise if i turn the power off to the Sonos 1 - restart it, and turn on the BBC radio again (sometimes ned 2 repeats).