Question

tune in not available

• 30 September 2016
  • 11 replies

Badge +1
Right. Sonos, in their wisdom restrict me to receiving radio stations via tune in. I an sitting here successfully listening to the previous station and so all the Internet etc is working. However I can't use any if the tune in stuff cos it ain't available. So I can't change channel! @@
Frankly, to have over 1200 quid of gear and be unable to change channel is beyond rubbish. It is utterly unacceptable.
If you won't allow access to rely able sources such as the bbc you should gang your heads in shame. I am furious, I mean really furious about this. Oh by the way, MY Internet is fine. I am posting this on it!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Right. Sonos, for your convenience, uses Tunein as a provider for selecting streaming URLs of radio stations.
But also, in their wisdom, they offer the possibility of entering any URL you want via the PC controller.

Tunein isn't used as a restriction, it's there for your convenience.
Your internet may be working.but that doesn't mean your network is functioning correctly. Tunein works fine for me and everything in Thomas' excellent post is correct.
Your problem may be down to any number of causes. If you seek help from Sonos Support, rather than just rant, your problem will probably be sorted out very quickly. You might find that a simple reboot of your router, or of your whole network, would fix the problem. Or submit a diagnostic and post the number back here.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142/~/submit-system-diagnostics
Badge +1
So far as my network is concerned. I know what I am doing. Tune in was down period. Possibly not for long, yes I had a rant but there are unnecessary limitations and if you can enter urns on a pc', what were my favourites not available. I rebooted my router. No improvement. Sometimes a rant is what service providers need.

For example, on my iPad I have "on this iPad' but not on my Mac. What reasons is there for that? Also, running things from Linux is unnecessarily complex.
So far as my network is concerned. I know what I am doing. Tune in was down period. Possibly not for long, yes I had a rant but there are unnecessary limitations and if you can enter urns on a pc', what were my favourites not available. I rebooted my router. No improvement. Sometimes a rant is what service providers need.

For example, on my iPad I have "on this iPad' but not on my Mac. What reasons is there for that? Also, running things from Linux is unnecessarily complex.

We can debate all day as to the most effective way to motivate a service provider, but first we have to ask: Since when is Sonos a service provider? Blaming Sonos for Tune In problems is like blaming your tv because Netflix is down.
So far as my network is concerned. I know what I am doing.

Nerak99,

If you go into the iOS Settings on your iPad and look for the Sonos app in the list on the left hand side, you will see there is a toggle button to turn on/off the 'on my iPad' feature in the available app settings.
Badge +1

We can debate all day as to the most effective way to motivate a service provider, but first we have to ask: Since when is Sonos a service provider? Blaming Sonos for Tune In problems is like blaming your tv because Netflix is down.

Should the BBC stop working or be cast to the free market wolves. My to would continue to work, Sonos, on the other hand is a combination of a hardware and softwRe service and, should so is chose, they could "retire" your sonos products at the touch of a button. As has happ bed with other such combos. So yes, it is a service.

As for iPad, I do have on this iPad turned in, it is "on this device" That would be good. Tube in, and sonos are in a commercial relationship, hence the use of tune in to get radio stations, despite it being limited and a bit old fashioned.
Badge +1
That last had some iPad spell fixes! Apologies. Tv instead of to and sonos rather than so is!
Badge +1
Oh and happened tatherthan hap bed.
Badge +1
Clearly, it is bed time in Robin Hood country
No, Sonos is not a service provider. Even more so since they divorced themselves from most of the software issues by allowing services to simply add themselves via the API, leaving 95% of the development up to the actual services themselves. Your argument is one of convenience and targeted anger, not facts. Go complaint to TuneIn, your ISP, or whoever set up your network.