Answered

Troubleshooting - potential switch from bridge to boost

• 28 November 2021
  • 11 replies

Hi, 

All references will be to S1 components unless otherwise stated.

Have an interesting problem. Fri evening, just as the guests were arriving for pizza night, my entire system (1 bridge, 2 5s, 1 3 and a one) went dead. It was on and just stopped playing, and the app (both my wife’s, which is android, and mine on iOS) was “unable to connect to Sonos”.  Problems with Sonos connectivity are plentiful for us but ive never had it die in the middle of a session before, so my thinking was that my bridge died/mechanical failure. checked the router and it came up as connected, but unplugging it and plugging it back in made it disappear, irrespective of which socket i tried to connect it to. So, I removed it and have attempted to connect to the individual players via the apps (my wifes, mine on iOS as well as my PC one) but the apps dont find them. I get an orange flashing light when hitting the buttons on top. 

Obviously Ive checked power, Ive rebooted the router and the speakers, and as far as i can tell were on the same wifi (only have one). 

Do i need to reset (all of) them to get them to work? Will it connect to my wifi without a bridge if i reset it? Reason why im reluctant to do a reset is b/c Sonos advises against it as a troubleshooting step..

Would investing in a boost get me back up running again? Other suggestions? 

Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by John B 28 November 2021, 14:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

DO NOT RESET ANYTHING.

Just for now, please connect one of your speakers to the Ethernet cable that connected to the Bridge.  Power off the Bridge.

You may or may not need to power cycle your other speakers, but your system should be back after this.

Please do that and post back for further advice.

DO NOT RESET ANYTHING.

Just for now, please connect one of your speakers to the Ethernet cable that connected to the Bridge.  Power off the Bridge.

You may or may not need to power cycle your other speakers, but your system should be back after this.

Please do that and post back for further advice.

Sorcerer! It works perfectly now, thanks much! :D

Do i need to keep it wired or can i move it? Can i keep using it without a bridge/boost? 

Go to Settings, System, Network and follow the instructions for Wireless Setup. This will allow you to add your home WiFi credentials. Only disconnect the cable when told to do so.

Let us know how it goes. 

Go to Settings, System, Network and follow the instructions for Wireless Setup. This will allow you to add your home WiFi credentials. Only disconnect the cable when told to do so.

Let us know how it goes. 

worked perfectly; think Ill leave one wired as I realized the spot i put it works pretty good. Thanks again for swift answers and able assistance!

Happy to have helped. I would generally recommend keeping a wired device for all but the smallest of systems.  So that sounds like a good result. 

You may find it best, if keeping a wired device, to remove the WiFi details so that your speakers can only connect to the Sonos mesh, SonosNet. 

The Bridge probably works okay, but its power supply has died. They have a habit of doing so as they age. The main symptom is an intermittent and infuriating loss of connectivity.

If one’s curiosity is piqued, apply a voltmeter to the power supply’s connector. If it’s no longer around 5.1V it has indeed joined the choir invisible. 

You may find it best, if keeping a wired device, to remove the WiFi details so that your speakers can only connect to the Sonos mesh, SonosNet. 

That sounds like a good idea, how would one go about that..?

The Bridge probably works okay, but its power supply has died. They have a habit of doing so as they age. The main symptom is an intermittent and infuriating loss of connectivity.

If one’s curiosity is piqued, apply a voltmeter to the power supply’s connector. If it’s no longer around 5.1V it has indeed joined the choir invisible. 

Sounds like a good idea, if the power supply has indeed ceased to be i wouldnt want to get rid of the bridge just because the power supply is an ex power supply; shouldnt be impossible to get hold of a replacement. Ill have a look around, although if running it straight to wifi remains without problems that feels like a simpler solution. 

Same place as you added it.  Settings, System, Network, Manage Networks. Tap the network name and select Remove.

Sounds like a good idea, if the power supply has indeed ceased to be i wouldnt want to get rid of the bridge just because the power supply is an ex power supply; shouldnt be impossible to get hold of a replacement. Ill have a look around, although if running it straight to wifi remains without problems that feels like a simpler solution. 

Amazon have compatible PSUs, but the wireless on Bridge has long ago been bettered so it may be best to leave it nailed to its perch.