Question

Troubleshooting Next Steps - Sound breaking up

• 2 September 2020
  • 3 replies

My TV audio comes from a Playbar, Sub and two Play:1s as surrounds.

The playbar is hard wired to the TV via optical cable and everything else is connected over wifi. It has all worked fine for 2 years

I recently upgraded to S2, and i think these problems may have occurred since that happened. System updates are scheduled autiomatically. 

(For UK people I have a BT Home Hub 6 router and BT TV Box - both 18 months old)

All music services work perfectly all the time

I am getting vastly different experience from the TV

1. Most of the time its all good too
  2. Then the sound on *some* channels starts breaking up/cutting out - I hear every other word.
  3. It only affects some channels - Firstly it seems to only affect subscription channels (Terrestrial/Freeview channels are not affected), but even then it doesn’t affect all channels - if one starts playing up, I can switch to another channel and it will be fine
  4. When the sound is cutting out it affects all the speakers mentioned above - even the hrad wired playbar

My HiFi/streamer is connected to the TV, and I can play the TV audio out of that no problem when Sonos isn’t working.

I have tried all the things I’m supposed to (I hope)

• Played with the wifi channels
  • Switched everything off/on
  • The only thing that has changed recently is a new neighbour, and I haven’t yet talked to him about his wifi… 
  • ...but even the hard wired playbar breaks up, so how can it be the wifi?
  • ...and I’ve switched channels /my router has a setting to intelligently swap channels based on performance - nothing helps

Any ideas? I’m still not even sure which component is causing the problem, could be

• Router
  • TV Box
  • Sonos

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @C2MrC.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report when it is happening, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

You may also refer yo this article that provides common fixes for TV audio interruptions while using Sonos home theater speakers.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Hey there, thanks for the reply. The conformation number is 1019430908

cheers

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @C2MrC.

Thanks for your response.

Upon checking the diagnostic, symptoms indicative of interference on around Sonos component(s) have been detected by the system.

I noticed that the Android controller is connected on a device with a different IP from where Sonos was set.

Doing some research, I’ve found out that on this router’s older firmware we had duplicate IP addressing and issues with DHCP proxy for Home Theater.

Let’s take a look into this first and see if that’s really the case.

• Ensure that the router’s firmware is up-to-date.
  • IP addressing issues are often resolved by slightly adjusting the DHCP pool size which triggers IP re-assignment.
  • You may try to add a permanent Sonos IP address to your networks' DHCP Reservation Table.

Hopefully, that solves it but if not, please submit a new diagnostic report, so I can see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.