Answered

Troubles with speakers cutting out and automatic change of tracks.

• 5 April 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello.

We have a sonos system on board a yacht and are having problems with the speakers cutting out. SonosNet is running on channel 11 and we have no other router in our vicinity above channel 7. Worth to mention, however, is that we have three routers in the range of one to three meters from the Sonos Bridge of which two are running on channel 6 and one on channel 4.

In the app I can see that all of the sonos devices are connected to "WM: 0" which means they are connected to the SonosNet as I have understood it?

I am thinking about changing the Bridge for a Boost but would love it if someone could have a look at our diagnostics to see whether or not this is a solution to the problems we are experiencing and also if there are any other solutions worth trying?

Diagnostics: 2051292800

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by ratty 5 April 2019, 21:22

Just measured the power supply. It is jumping between 4,45 and 4,95 volts. Is is probably the cause of the problem in other words?
Yes. Reduced voltage, and jumping around, is a failure symptom. It will give rise to intermittent connectivity problems in the Bridge.

You can obtain compatible power supplies off Amazon. Or go for the improved performance of a Boost as suggested.
View original

5 replies

Remove the Bridge and temporarily substitute another Sonos device as the wired component. Bridge power supplies are known to die with age. (A volt meter should show a steady 5.1V; anything less indicates trouble.)

By the way, routers on channels 4 and 6 will be having an unholy tussle with one another. They need to be separated by at least 5 channel numbers. In effect, channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only safe choices.
Remove the Bridge and temporarily substitute another Sonos device as the wired component. Bridge power supplies are known to die with age. (A volt meter should show a steady 5.1V; anything less indicates trouble.)

By the way, routers on channels 4 and 6 will be having an unholy tussle with one another. They need to be separated by at least 5 channel numbers. In effect, channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only safe choices.

Thanks for the fast reply. I will try this as soon as possible.

The routers have temporarily been placed on those channels just to be sure they were nowhere close to the channel 11 of SonosNet.

Just measured the power supply. It is jumping between 4,45 and 4,95 volts. Is is probably the cause of the problem in other words?
Yes. Reduced voltage, and jumping around, is a failure symptom. It will give rise to intermittent connectivity problems in the Bridge.

You can obtain compatible power supplies off Amazon. Or go for the improved performance of a Boost as suggested.

Thank you very much! I will try as suggested and update you!