Question

Trouble with google Wifi and Sonos

I'm still having problems with my sonos 6 months later.

I thought I solved the original problem by disabling airplay on my marantz receiver, but that didn't work and i'm completely unplugged the receiver to take it out of the mix.

I have sonos connected via sonosnet to my google wifi network. I have hardwired speakers throughout the house that are wired into a vanguard da-8050 (https://www.vanguarddynamics.com/da-8050) which a sonos connect attaches too.

I also have a connect amp for my patio 4 speakers, but let's focus primary on the interior of the house. My wife and I both have iphones and a friend used a samsung phone and still experience drop outs or where the sonos just stops playing but looks like it is playing.

The latest diagnostic code is from yesterday, 1706649053.

I'm extremely upset as this is an expensive setup and nothing seems to work.

I can't be the only person experiencing these issues.

My system is currently running the latest code.

Please help!

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Try changing the Line-In compression to compressed? Should be located under Advanced Settings.

Other than that, you may want to submit a diagnostic and see if a Sonos employee replies with their suggestions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Try changing the Line-In compression to compressed? Should be located under Advanced Settings
That would only help if the problem is restricted to Line-In sources, which doesn't appear to be the case.

@goldyfarbs: could you say more about what sources you are playing from and how you're initiating playback? In particular, are you playing back content that is stored locally on your iPhones, via the Sonos app.?
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Try changing the Line-In compression to compressed? Should be located under Advanced Settings
That would only help if the problem is restricted to Line-In sources, which doesn't appear to be the case.

@goldyfarbs: could you say more about what sources you are playing from and how you're initiating playback?

Agreed. However without knowing more, it's the best suggestion I have. As you are even asking for clarification on how they're controlling the system.
From my wife's iphone and my iphone, we either stream sirius or use our locally stored playlists on our phone.

I have a diagnostics number from above.

I have excellent wifi connection throughout the house with google wifi, and there are no dead spots in the house, but for some reason, sonos just freaks out. You can be listening to it fine, and the all of a sudden it stops playing.

I've been battling this for 6 months now and I'm extremely frustrated. Does anyone think it's the vanguard da-8050 amp?

I had a thought to take a sonos connect amp and just use that temporarily to see if the problem goes away
Does anyone have any suggestions for me??
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, goldyfarbs. The diagnostic report doesn't show much in terms of wireless interference. Interestingly enough, the only errors I can see point to not being able to connect directly to your iPhone. This tells me that you are likely streaming audio directly from your iPhone to Sonos, using "On this iPhone/Mobile Device".

When streaming directly from an iOS device there can be audio playback issues. In this case, your best option may be to offload your iPhone's music library to a computer or NAS drive, then set up a music share. This will allow you to use any controller to play your music library, even if there are AirPlay devices active and your phone goes to sleep, or offline.

Alternatively, if playing from a streaming service, try using it through the Sonos app, this way the connection is direct rather than needing to be tethered to your phone. That said, I'm curious, do the dropout persist if you play Sirius from inside the Sonos app? If so, it might be better to give our support technicians a call. They are able to have a closer look at how data is being passed along the network via remote session and get this sorted.
@keith -

I'm having a hard time understanding that you are recommending to setup a NAS drive and then copy music to the NAS. That's yet another expense to an already existing expensive solution that isn't working well.

We use the sirius app within sonos, and iheartradio, but we also stream from 'on this phone' a lot. In the year 2019, I should be able to walk around my house with just my iphone or ipad and play music without any issues, and i've had issues for 6 months on a new system and it's very frustrating

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings