Trouble since last upgrade

Won't play complete song, skips after a short way threw song

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

I’m having the same issue. Submitted diagnostics and made the changes on my iPhone and it’s still not solved. My Sonos 1 is literally 12ft from my router, so I don’t buy this wireless interference crap they keep telling everyone. My Amazon Echo is in the same room and same distance and works flawlessly. This issue needs to be fixed ASAP because too many people have reported problems since the AirPlay2 update!
Not interference, was working fine until last update. My controller is a apple I-pod
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Interesting, I thought I was just randomly losing connection, but now that I think about it, I've never had an issue before updating to v9.0.
So how do we get a answer or solution from Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

There aren't any known issues with the update itself, though the process of rebooting your speakers during the update can bring other issues up to the surface. Please submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number along with a description of the issues you're seeing. I'll take a look for you.
I've had the same issues as reported above - diagnostic confirmation #1739635042
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've had the same issues as reported above - diagnostic confirmation #1739635042

Thanks for sending in the report. Your Sonos speakers are losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. This is likely due to wireless interference from nearby networks running on the same channel as your own. In fact, there's a network that has a stronger signal than your own running on the same channel. Please try changing your router's wireless channel from 6 to 11 and then test things out. If any issues continue, please send in a new diagnostic report and reply with the number.
Thanks Jeff, I switched to 11 and the same thing happened - new #1784931954
Sound when using the TV has been fine, but when using the app on my iPhone 7 to play music that is on my device, the system is constantly cutting out and the song ends. I don't use streaming services through my phone, these are files that are on my device. Going back into the app in my iPhone and starting a new song resumes play, but the same thing happens again.

Sonos system is updated
App is updated
iPhone iOS is updated
Phone has been 8 feet from my wireless router
Have tried all suggested channels on router (1, 6, and 11), problem persists regardless
No known sources of interference - we have a wireless baby monitor but it has been off during my testing.
On the advice of another user, I have restarted my router and both my Playbar and Sub in case of an IP issue, problem persists.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Jeff, I switched to 11 and the same thing happened - new #1784931954
Sound when using the TV has been fine, but when using the app on my iPhone 7 to play music that is on my device, the system is constantly cutting out and the song ends. I don't use streaming services through my phone, these are files that are on my device. Going back into the app in my iPhone and starting a new song resumes play, but the same thing happens again.

Sonos system is updated
App is updated
iPhone iOS is updated
Phone has been 8 feet from my wireless router
Have tried all suggested channels on router (1, 6, and 11), problem persists regardless
No known sources of interference - we have a wireless baby monitor but it has been off during my testing.
On the advice of another user, I have restarted my router and both my Playbar and Sub in case of an IP issue, problem persists.

Please try playing some audio from the built-in TuneIn Radio. This should let us isolate where the issue is. The TV's audio comes from a wired connection, so wireless factors shouldn't matter. Playing from TuneIn will test if audio coming from your router directly to your speakers has the same issue as audio coming from your mobile device.
Just had the radio through TuneIn play for the last 10 minutes with no interruptions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just had the radio through TuneIn play for the last 10 minutes with no interruptions.

So it sounds like the issue is isolated to the mobile device's connection to your network, then to Sonos. At this point it would be best to have our phone team take a look at this live. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number and hours here.
Thanks, I will call in.
I've had the exact same issues on my iPhone (iPhone 6). MacBook and iPad work fine. Cutting out and no control on lock screen on iPhone since last update. Have changed channels - Still happening.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've had the exact same issues on my iPhone (iPhone 6). MacBook and iPad work fine. Cutting out and no control on lock screen on iPhone since last update. Have changed channels - Still happening.

Hi Viv,

This thread should help out with the lock screen issue.

It sounds like there's an issue between your iPhone and network as the other audio sources are playing fine. Please check to make sure your phone is connecting to your main wireless network and not a 5 ghz version of that network. It may also help to reboot your iPhone. If that doesn't help, please send a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
Hi Jeff
I've done that there. Problem still occurring. Music stops playing and skips to another track. Seems bizarre as this has only been happening since the last update.
Submitted Diagnostic Report No.1029611358
diagnostics #626309764
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff
I've done that there. Problem still occurring. Music stops playing and skips to another track. Seems bizarre as this has only been happening since the last update.

Thanks for sending in the report. I see a couple things going on. First, there's a communication issue that is usually resolved by rebooting your speakers. Please do so by removing them both from power for ten seconds or so.

Second, your speakers are losing connection to your wireless network occasionally. It may help to change your router's wireless channel from 6, which is a bit crowded, to 1, which is more open.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
diagnostics #626309764

Your speakers are also having a hard time staying connected to your wireless network. There are a few wireless networks with a strong signal, running on the same channel as your main network. Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 11 and see if that helps.
Hi Jeff

Thanks for sending in the report. I see a couple things going on. First, there's a communication issue that is usually resolved by rebooting your speakers. Please do so by removing them both from power for ten seconds or so.

Second, your speakers are losing connection to your wireless network occasionally. It may help to change your router's wireless channel from 6, which is a bit crowded, to 1, which is more open.

Rebooted both speakers, switched to Channel 1 again. Problem still occurring.
Wifi assist disabled on phone as is Battery saving mode.
Submitted another diagnostic. No. 2065770236.
Tried under advice from customer support on twitter to play from phone while not letting phone go into sleep mode. Issue didn't occur. ( Diagnostic No. for this was 1388974127)

This is getting very frustrating. Bought two Play 1s in May. Worked great until the latest update.
I am having the exact same issue since the last Sonos updat. Sonos is skipping songs midway and pausing for no reason.

Everything in my setup is exactly the same as before the update, please fix this soon!
I do think the common denominator is the latest update. I've been in touch with Sonos Support about this. We've tried everything - problem still occurring. Apparently Sonos Boost may solve the problem, but I'm still dubious. Latest update seems to have messed things up for iPhone use. iPad and MacBook working fine.
What do you mean Sonos Boost may solve it?
Dedicated channel or sonos set up. It connects directly to your router and then connects wireless to speakers and devices. Reduces other devices competing on network AFAIK.
same problem again music cutting out and no controls again. same thing happened last month.
I'd certainly recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.