Question

Trouble playing from all music sources

• 29 September 2020
  • 9 replies

For the past 2 or 3 months I've had increasing difficulties with my Sonos system. My music share on my Windows 10 computer, which had worked reliably for years, is no longer working with Sonos (“can’t browse” error.) I have trouble playing music from my mobile device (“the connection was lost”,) which was not an issue before. When I try to add music from Google Play Music or Spotify, I get error 402 messages and have to try 3-5 times to get the music actually loaded to my queue.

The firewall is configured properly on my Windows 10 computer and nothing has changed with my mobile device or home network.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Herr Supremus.

Thanks for your response and update.

I tried to pull up the diagnostic report but the system detected that this is an incomplete diagnostic because it failed to parse properly. The diagnostic is either corrupt and corrupted during submission or there is a problem with the parsing tool preventing the diagnostic from properly parsing. Most often, when the diagnostic is corrupt, it can be an indication of network problems. 

We appreciate the time and effort you've spent troubleshooting with us, but at this point, it would be best to reach out to Sonos Support, so we can take a closer look at this in real-time to expedite the process. I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the computer/controller to see what's going on.

When calling, you can help us by also having a Mac or Windows computer available so we have the option to perform any hands-on troubleshooting and testing as needed.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know, we’re always here to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Herr Supremus.

Thanks for your responses, and my apologies for the delayed response.

Upon checking on the diagnostic reports, symptoms indicative of interference have been detected on one or more Sonos components running on the network and experiencing poor wireless conditions. Commonly, these could be caused by wireless interference and this article will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products.  

If your PC or Mac is hosting your music library and its wireless connection is weak, you may experience audio dropouts or see error messages when trying to add or play your music.

Make sure the computer has a strong WiFi connection or is wired into your home’s network with an Ethernet cable. If the computer is wired in, disable the WiFi connection.

If the issue still persists, please submit a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number so I can check further and see if there are changes.

Knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation for troubleshooting this successfully, so I would need to check your network set up and how Sonos is running on your system.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network? It’s best if we can check any known issue or additional configuration needed on the device(s) that is essential for Sonos.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know, we’d be glad to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Wait for the problem to appear, or force it if you can then submit a diagnostic within a few minutes.

Post the ID number here for staff to look at.

I’ve checked and there’s nothing that could be causing interference around my Sonos products.

I connected the computer hosting my music library to my router using an ethernet cable and then made sure it was disconnected from wifi. I’m still getting “connection lost” errors and just submitted another diagnostic, number 657087121.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thanks, @Stanley_4 for looking into it and for your helpful advice.

Hi @Herr Supremus.

Thanks for reaching out and your effort in submitting diagnostic is much appreciated, I’d be glad to help.

A "browse failure" typically occurs on the controller side and takes place before the Sonos player has received playback commands.

Upon checking on the diagnostic report, there are transport errors detected by the system, it indicates underflows not getting enough data or loss of connection. It doesn’t show the WiFi network your Android controller is currently connected, it was “unknown SSID”.

• Please ensure that the controller(s) is connected to the same network where Sonos was set up.
  • This can be caused by network communication problems, either between Sonos and your router or between Sonos and the internet.
  • Please see this article for suggested fixes when Unable to add tracks to the queue.
  • With the music share, if your Windows PC is hosting your music library and its wireless connection is weak, you may experience audio dropouts or see error messages when trying to add or play your music.
  • Make sure the computer has a strong WiFi connection or is wired into your home’s network with an Ethernet cable. If the computer is wired in, disable the WiFi connection.
  • You can find more information in our article on troubleshooting problems with the music library.

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report preferably using Windows and Android controller where the issue occurs, so I can check the system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Just got a 402 error when trying to play from my music library on my Windows machine. Controller was on the same machine. Diagnostics ID 1045069410.

And also just got a “connection lost” error. Diagnostics ID 1621531669 for that one, from the Windows controller.

Has anyone reviewed my diagnostic reports?

Just submitted diagnostics, ID 1024513862.