Answered

Trouble connecting Boost to Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES-10XP

Userlevel 2
Badge +8
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 207 replies

...is that to be expected…? Boost will connect to my router but not my switch? Also, ethernet light is orange, not green, on the back of the switch when inserting ethernet cable from Boost indicating something is wrong…? Some important settings in the switch maybe…?

icon

Best answer by ratty 30 March 2022, 12:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I am sure someone much more network knowledgeable will be along soon but in the meantime
Your switch is a managed one and will probably need to have the STP (spanning tree protocol) enabled as this is a requirement for Sonos

The orange light may well be an indication that the connection speed is 100Mb rather than 1Gb, which is correct the boost only has a 10/100 Mb network card.

The switch may need to be told that there’s an STP-active device connected. Some will block the port by default if they detect STP traffic.

By the way, assuming the Boost is the only wired Sonos device the actual STP handling in the switch itself doesn’t matter. It’s when there are multiple wired Sonos components across the switch that this becomes an issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

The switch may need to be told that there’s an STP-active device connected. Some will block the port by default if they detect STP traffic.

By the way, assuming the Boost is the only wired Sonos device the actual STP handling in the switch itself doesn’t matter. It’s when there are multiple wired Sonos components across the switch that this becomes an issue.

I have a Boost and an One wired…. maybe this is the problem then … ? If I get an unmanaged switch would the problem go away…?

Why do you need the Boost as well as the wired One? Are they in completely different locations? The wired One already acts the same as the Boost, in terms of setting up SonosNet.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Why do you need the Boost as well as the wired One? Are they in completely different locations? The wired One already acts the same as the Boost, in terms of setting up SonosNet.

Big house, different locations. System is not working well with units coming on and off. Sonos in Denmark tells me my 12 units needs two of them wired to work better….

Does the wire to the One simply run back to the same switch? If so you could move it to the Boost’s second Ethernet port. That way there’d be only a single Sonos device wired into the main network. Note however that if the One is via a secondary switch in the remote location then the above will restrict the connection for everything else on that switch to 100Mbps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Does the wire to the One simply run back to the same switch? If so you could move it to the Boost’s second Ethernet port. That way there’s be only a single Sonos device wired into the main network. Note however that if the One is via a secondary switch in the remote location then the above will restrict the connection for everything else on that switch to 100Mbps.

Interesting - I will try that - thanks!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Does the wire to the One simply run back to the same switch? If so you could move it to the Boost’s second Ethernet port. That way there’d be only a single Sonos device wired into the main network. Note however that if the One is via a secondary switch in the remote location then the above will restrict the connection for everything else on that switch to 100Mbps.

It seems to be working well now - thanks! Is there any way for myself to check if my Sonos units are now divided between the two wired units? An URL…?

Visit http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review where x.x.x.x is the IP of a player, not the Boost. Open the Network Matrix. Coloured cells in the body of the matrix indicate active mesh connections. Post a screenshot if you'd like comment. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Visit http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review where x.x.x.x is the IP of a player, not the Boost. Open the Network Matrix. Coloured cells in the body of the matrix indicate active mesh connections. Post a screenshot if you'd like comment. 

THANKS! I will do this later and return with a screenshot!

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I fear the resolution is too bad…? If not: It seems my Boost is ‘hooked’ to ‘2. sal’ only whereas ‘Køkken’ takes everything else… or..? (Boost is wired to my router and Køkken is wired to Boost)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

(Boost is wired to my router and Køkken is wired to Boost)

Not sure if you really did this, but you're not supposed to wire a speaker to a Boost. The connection between a speaker and the Boost should be wireless (Sonosnet).

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Not sure if you really did this, but you're not supposed to wire a speaker to a Boost. The connection between a speaker and the Boost should be wireless (Sonosnet).

Erhhh…. yeah… but ratty suggested this workaround (see above) using both Boost ports (maybe I misunderstood?)… system is playing better than ever…

Not sure if you really did this, but you're not supposed to wire a speaker to a Boost. 

Of course you can. The Boost’s internal switch bridges through to the speaker. The OP’s speaker is in a different part of the house, and the suggestion to switch through the Boost was to avoid problems wiring across the Ubiquiti switch.

I fear the resolution is too bad…? If not: It seems my Boost is ‘hooked’ to ‘2. sal’ only whereas ‘Køkken’ takes everything else… or..? (Boost is wired to my router and Køkken is wired to Boost)

It’s fine. The Boost is the root bridge (of the STP tree), which is normal. It would pick up the other players if they were closer, but Køkken is better placed to service those units. Their wireless ‘cost’ to Køkken is sufficiently low -- owing to better signal strength -- that they’re happy to go through that node. 

See how things go.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

It’s fine. The Boost is the root bridge (of the STP tree), which is normal. It would pick up the other players if they were closer, but Køkken is better placed to service those units. Their wireless ‘cost’ to Køkken is sufficiently low -- owing to better signal strength -- that they’re happy to go through that node. 

See how things go.

Thank you so much for all your help. The system is still working fine.