Answered

Trouble adding Play:Ones to Home app iOS

I've successfully been able to AirPlay from the Music app to my Sonos speakers after the 9.0 update, however, when I go into the Home app on iPhone or iPad to enable Siri following the instructions, I get the following message:

"Couldn't Add Accessory: Home couldn't connect to this accessory"

Anyone else experience that?
icon

Best answer by jamus 12 July 2018, 20:14

I was getting this error too, but finally tracked it down what the issue was in my case.

Apparently, adding this type of accessory requires being added by the original account that setup the home, not any other accounts that the home may be shared with (even though they have full permissions). Once I logged into that iCloud account from my phone, and rebooted the phone, I was able to add the device first try. Before that, I tried rebooting the phone, trying another phone, rebooting the device, etc.

What led me to try the different account was looking at the device logs via the Console app and came across an error "Must be owner to add WHA accessory" from HomeKit.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Similar issue here. After the update I can airplay to my Sonos One directly from the AppleMusic app but I cannot add the speaker to HomeKit for Siri integration. I don't get an error message though - My speaker simply doesn't show up when I search for it via the HomeKit 'add accessories section' ?
Badge
Same issue for me with my Play:5 connected by Wifi + iPhone 6s with 11.4.1
I have both issues depend on my tries.

Look forward to getting a fix.
Exactly the same problem here, plus I couldn’t initially see my two Sonos Ones in the Home app. In the end I started playing music on them in the iOS Music app, then searched for them again in Home. They both showed up but when I attempted to connect to them I received the same message:

“Couldn't Add Accessory: Home couldn't connect to this accessory"

They now both show up intermittently in the Home app, but fail to connect when I ask them to.

Looking forward to the fix for this.
Badge +1
Same here. A simple power down and power up of my iPhone and I was able to add them in the home app.
Badge
Same here. A simple power down and power up of my iPhone and I was able to add them in the home app.

Easy fix, it's working on my side. Thanks

I powered down my speakers (not my phone) and the same is true - both speakers added and Siri is now back in the game...
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have tried power down both phone and Sonos One. Still no joy. The Sonos One never appears as a device when i try to add it within the HomeKit add accessories section ...
I have tried power down both phone and Sonos One. Still no joy. The Sonos One never appears as a device when i try to add it within the HomeKit add accessories section ...

All this only worked after I updated to iOS 11.4.1
I have tried power down both phone and Sonos One. Still no joy. The Sonos One never appears as a device when i try to add it within the HomeKit add accessories section ... Same here - i tried powering down my phone, ipad, and the sonos ones and no dice. still get the same error message.
I was getting this error too, but finally tracked it down what the issue was in my case.

Apparently, adding this type of accessory requires being added by the original account that setup the home, not any other accounts that the home may be shared with (even though they have full permissions). Once I logged into that iCloud account from my phone, and rebooted the phone, I was able to add the device first try. Before that, I tried rebooting the phone, trying another phone, rebooting the device, etc.

What led me to try the different account was looking at the device logs via the Console app and came across an error "Must be owner to add WHA accessory" from HomeKit.

That worked for me!