Tracks skipping on Apple Music

Userlevel 1
"Unable to play 'song title'- the track is not encoded correctly"

Is someone also getting this message on every track you play after a few minutes? Can't play a song to its end.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

202 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey Fredl,

I just moved your question to a new thread so we can take a closer look. There shouldn't be any trouble playing tracks, so we'll want to take a look at your system too. Do you have any trouble playing tracks from any other services or sources locally?

Can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number after getting this error?
Userlevel 1
I never had this problem with Spotify before. But now, as I want to reconstruct that problem. All songs play fine. Got that problem for a whole album of one artist. Every song just played the first 2 or 3 minutes and then it changed to the next one. Like a "Demo-Mode" ^^
Currently I'm trying to get the message again with the same songs. But it looks like it is working properly.
Is it useful to still send the diagnostics? I guess the messages are still in the file.
Edit: My Confirmation number: 5242090
For me the same. And sometimes the message, that my bandwith is not good enough (100MBit/s line - so it can't be the case).
Welcome to beta software! Seriously, this is the first day of a very popular beta, and some qurks are not only possible, they are expected. As Ryan S stated above, submit a diagnostic from your controller and list the reference number here so Sonos can track down the problem and get on a solution. That's what beta testers do! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I never had this problem with Spotify before. But now, as I want to reconstruct that problem. All songs play fine. Got that problem for a whole album of one artist. Every song just played the first 2 or 3 minutes and then it changed to the next one. Like a "Demo-Mode" ^^
Currently I'm trying to get the message again with the same songs. But it looks like it is working properly.
Is it useful to still send the diagnostics? I guess the messages are still in the file.
Edit: My Confirmation number: 5242090

The diagnostic always helps, just sometimes has more useful information than others. Right now it looks like your PLAY:1 is wirelessly connected to your router's network while your other devices are wired in. This is generally not a good way to go but it looks like it was done because your PLAY:1 was too far out of range of your other Sonos components, and instead connected to a wireless extender. Also, your PLAY:5 is seeing a lot of wireless interference.

If you're not currently having trouble, I'd say go ahead and leave things as they are, but there are some things you could look into doing in the future if anything sparks up.

As jgatie said, beta services can have trouble at times and we're always happy to take a look. Diagnostics are great and you can easily submit feedback to the beta team at any time. Feel free to reply here too and we'll take a look.

If you do have trouble, can you check which rooms it is in, likely in your case it's network related as the main source of the issue, though we're happy to take a deeper look.

Thanks

@thejapanese, feel free to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number if you'd like. It's best if you're having the trouble at the time you do so. Also, try testing a few other sources of music to see if they behave better.
Userlevel 1
As you stated above. Two of my Sonos devices are connected with Ethernet cables and the Play:1 with wireless connection is too far away to get a direct connection to the other two. I can not get it connected to my network with a cable either.
The problem with skipping songs occurred on the two devices hooked with cables. So bad connection can't be the issue here, I think.
Currently everything is fine. It looks like I had that problem just for the first few hours and now all is working great.
Also I never have trouble with out of sync music. So my setup looks solid, at least for me and my use case. ^^

What are the thinks you mentioned I could do better with my setup?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It's interesting you were having trouble with the wired ones over the wireless. With that in mind there isn't much optimization I see needed simply based on the last diagnostic. Generally wired connections only have problems if there's a bad cable, or something along the path of it's connection is causing trouble. Other than that, you're usually looking at a server side error, which should also affect wireless players.

There are some wireless changes you could look into but I'd say right now you're best off leaving things be unless you have anything come up.
Userlevel 1
The cable I'm using are completely new ones. Hopefully these are not the failing part here. ^^
Ok, I thank you for now for your fast help and the tips you gave me. If I'm experiencing more of that track skipping I will come back to this topic. I listened to music a whole hour without skipping since I posted the problem. I think that's a good sign. ^^
Same problem as first poster here. Most tracks on apple music skip after a few minutes, with same message - "the track is not encoded correctly".
I have a play:1 wirelessly connected.

p.s. other services, like Deezer, work perfectly fine
same here, keep getting the message "the track is not encoded correctly" and the songs skip to the next one after some time.
diagnostic ticket i got is 151216-003267.
also, i only got one sonos box, connected by wifi.
My diagnostic ticket is 5247958
Userlevel 2
Having the same problem too - some times it's working perfectly well,then suddenly it is skipping every song after some seconds or minutes for an hour or so. Always getting the same text (...not encoded correctly).
I'm having the same problem. Frequent skipping with a "not encoded properly message".
Diagnostic number 5253385
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Same problem as first poster here. Most tracks on apple music skip after a few minutes, with same message - "the track is not encoded correctly".
I have a play:1 wirelessly connected.

p.s. other services, like Deezer, work perfectly fine

My diagnostic ticket is 5247958

Hello Hum8. Welcome to the community.
I have reviewed your diagnostic. Is your system still experiencing the same issues?
If yes, can you try to remove your Apple Music account and re-add it within the Sonos app? Let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Having the same problem too - some times it's working perfectly well,then suddenly it is skipping every song after some seconds or minutes for an hour or so. Always getting the same text (...not encoded correctly).
We would like more information about your system. Can you submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I'm having the same problem. Frequent skipping with a "not encoded properly message".
Diagnostic number 5253385

Reviewed your diagnostic. Found a couple sync errors. This is often due to WiFi interference.
Is the system experiencing the same problem when playing internet radio?
Max, thanks for the prompt response. No, radio seems okay. Could you explain why radio and Apple Music might both have the same symptom but ordinary playing not? Wouldn't interference interfere with everything?
The same here. And the same not encoded message before moving to the next track.

I often see buffering on my iTunes samples being played while buying music there, so I thought this is a server problem at the Apple end - because I see no such track skipping issue with Tune in. Where buffering very occasionally happens there, music restarts from where it had stopped.

I will wait to see what if any solutions are forthcoming for people that have posted here before I submit a diagnostic. If it is an Apple Server issue, action is at the Apple end.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Max, thanks for the prompt response. No, radio seems okay. Could you explain why radio and Apple Music might both have the same symptom but ordinary playing not? Wouldn't interference interfere with everything?
I'm somewhat unsure by what you mean here with ordinary playing, do you mean from your music library? If Apple Music is exhibiting buffer issues, this could be down to your internet speed as well, which would be slightly more severe with Apple Music because it is higher fidelity audio.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
The same here. And the same not encoded message before moving to the next track.

I often see buffering on my iTunes samples being played while buying music there, so I thought this is a server problem at the Apple end - because I see no such track skipping issue with Tune in. Where buffering very occasionally happens there, music restarts from where it had stopped.

I will wait to see what if any solutions are forthcoming for people that have posted here before I submit a diagnostic. If it is an Apple Server issue, action is at the Apple end.

I would recommend submitting diagnostics to us anyway, so that we can investigate the issue more specifically. Please respond with the diagnostic confirmation number. Thank you!
Edward - yes, playing the music library. If it were interference, you'd think it would affect everything. Bandwidth is possible. After the holidays I will test that. Thanks.
Same problem Here :
my DSL bandwith is very low, 2Mbs max. BUT i never had issue with deezer or radio. When i play from local NAS music it works well, of course. The sonos is using wifi. Wifi performance should not be an issue, as deezer has always been working fine.

Apple music is often skipping track saying it lost connection, or cannot be decrypted, or connection speed too low to maintain the buffer.
My first guess is that the music qulity is too high, taking too much bandwidth. i did not find any way to change/select audio quality (i remember i could do this with deezer).

I sent a diag. not sure if i have to give the diag number or not.

Any help is much appreciated. (I don't have any way to get higher bandwidth though)
Regards
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Same problem Here :
my DSL bandwith is very low, 2Mbs max. BUT i never had issue with deezer or radio. When i play from local NAS music it works well, of course. The sonos is using wifi. Wifi performance should not be an issue, as deezer has always been working fine.

Apple music is often skipping track saying it lost connection, or cannot be decrypted, or connection speed too low to maintain the buffer.
My first guess is that the music qulity is too high, taking too much bandwidth. i did not find any way to change/select audio quality (i remember i could do this with deezer).

I sent a diag. not sure if i have to give the diag number or not.

Any help is much appreciated. (I don't have any way to get higher bandwidth though)
Regards

Would you mind posting the confirmation number here, so we can take a look at the diagnostic? If not, you can also call us or send your feedback to our beta team.
With no action at my end, I am not seeing this problem over the last week or so, and it seems to have gone away on its own. I will submit diagnostics if it recurs, but I continue to suspect Apple server issues.

Have others here seen similar good results over the last week or so?