Question

Time Capsule as a NAS - file path not working

Hello, I just bought a bridge and play:3. I have plugged everything in and the radio works etc. but I need to connect it to my Apple Time Capsule where i have my itunes files (as my laptop is not on all the time) but adding the file path never works - the 'next' button stays un highlighted. Is there a way in your next update that it can automatically browse for this and just click on it, rather than finding a file path. I need help with setting this up. I followed guidance from an article i found back in 2008 but it didnt work thanks

34 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello Harry, The "Next" button will stay gray until a valid network path is typed into the Path section. In order to get to the Time Capsule, Sonos needs to know the Time Capsule's name and the name of it's shared folder. If you're on a Mac, the Time Capsule will show it's name in a Finder window under Shared. If you click on it, you'll then be able to see the name of it's shared folder. You can do this on a PC as well, in the Network section. When you know the name of the Time Capsule and the share, you can type them into Sonos in this format: \\NameOfTimeCapsule\NameOfShare Sonos will then try to access a network device with those names and should be able to get to your Time Capsule.
Thank you. It is now all set up. And it's amazing. The NAS process could be Made simpler though Harry
I've tried to do this, but it still can't find the TC. I've truncated the number of characters as stated in the support section. Quite frustrating.
HELP!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I've tried to do this, but it still can't find the TC. I've truncated the number of characters as stated in the support section. Quite frustrating.
HELP!

Hi Khalid, would you mind sending a diagnostic report number right after you see the error within Sonos? I can take a closer look at the logs.

Please let me know what your Time Capsule's network name and IP address are as well, if you have them. They'll help out quite a bit when cross referencing information in the diagnostic.

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
HELP!

Hi Mark,

Can you please change the name of the Time Capsule and then try once more? The "not found" error message means that Sonos was unable to find any device by the name of "smithtc" on the network. Try changing the name using Airport Utility, then attempt to add it once more using the Sonos software.

If it still fails, I'd like to get the same information I asked Khalid for above. Please send a diagnostic report number along with the new name of the Time Capsule and its IP address.

Thanks.
HELP!

I have the same error after following instructions above including renaming. I submitted diagnostic report for help.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
HELP!

Hi Carolyn, do you have the confirmation number for the report? I'll need that to take a look at the results.
ryan i am having the same issues. diagnostics number is 3662413. thanks in advance
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thanks Puckfel, I'm seeing a few errors stating that Sonos is unable to add a share called \\JWMAPTC\ or something similar like \\JWM AP TC. When adding a NAS share to Sonos, you'll need the name of the time capsule as well as the name of the shared folder immediately under it. In this case, we only have the name of the time capsule.

Browse to the Time Capsule and find the name of the first folder. This will likely be something like "Data" or "Share." Once you have that, add it to the end of the address you're trying to add. A proper address will look like \\NameOfTimeCapsule\NameOfFolder. So, if your Time Capsule's folder is named "Data," your path will probably look like \\JWMAPTC\Data.

Let me know if you have any questions on this and I'll be happy to help further.
FYI, I had the same issues. I took out the spaces in my Time Capsule name and shortened it a couple characters. Works fine now
thanks very much for your idea. i did that with the help of sonos support and that got me connected to my time capsule, but it can't find the 'shared' folder beyond the time capsule now. so progress, but not yet resolution... 
make sure 'enable file sharing' and 'share disks over wan' are checked off. the partitions (or shared file) name is usually 'Data' by default. so your path should be
\\TimeCapsuleName\Data 
Thanks. good points. my issue is most likely in the sharing. i have tried to get help from apple. the disk was set up on a MBP that i no longer have. my MBA can connect and I can see and play all the music by clicking thru to the specific folders, but i am not able to get the sonos to connect. when i look at the folders they say "everyone" for sharing, but i do have specific issues with sharing in that I can't add sonos or change permissions. i am pretty sure that my issue is mac related, but getting apple help is challenging. when i have some time i'll delve into this more deeply. cheers!
I was having the issue that my Sonos could not see the Time Capsule. The issue was that I had a separate router as well as the Time Capsule. To just use the Time Capsule as a NAS and a wifi network, do the following:
1) Go into the Airport Utility, right click on the Time Capsule and choose 'Edit'
2) Go into the Network Tab and choose Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)

That was the solution that worked after a few hours of playing with it. Good Luck, Glenn
I'm having the same issue, no solution abobe is working!!
I'm having the same issue

I just use my time capsule as an extra drive - not as my router
Yep, had this issue with a friend of mine. It does work but the system need a 'prod up the bum' to get it working.
First you need to setup user accounts for the share on the time capsule.
Then keep trying the URLs \\ip-address-of timecapsule\path-to-music-as-displayed-in-airport-utility
also try \\full-path-of share-displayed-in-airport-utility
Eventually the Sonos will move onto the next page. Once the library is found, it stays found.

I do domestic IT and AV equipment setup everyday, so it's definitely a slight incompatibility with the time capsule and Sonos.

Streaming is the easiest by far.
Bottom line is if you want a reliable network storage device, and don't mind stumping the cash. Drobo is your only straight forward answer.
Source - 10+ years of experience.
hi

I'm still having problems connecting to my time capsule

diagnostics code: 6270311
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
hi

I'm still having problems connecting to my time capsule

diagnostics code: 6270311

Hi Ccasement,

It looks like your Time Capsule's name is too long for the type of sharing that works with the Sonos system. Please use the Airport Utility to rename your Time Capsule to something less than 15 characters with no spaces and no special characters. Then try to add the share and see if it works. If not, send in a new diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

Please follow the steps in this guide to add your NAS drive share to Sonos.

If that doesn't work, please reply here with a description of the error and a diagnostic confirmation number. Here's how to submit diagnostic reports.
Userlevel 1
Top tip: it doesn't matter *what* you put in for "username", but you must put *something*. So I just used "whatevs" for the username, and the actual password for the shared drive on the TC. Then it worked.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I just did \\Ip of the TC\data\music

And that worked for me!
Hello Jeff S (Sonos staff), I follow the instruction you provide and I was enable to set my NAS library. It's complicated, why Sonos just can't find the good pathway information only clicking on the device ? Here is my case :

Route name : Time Capsule
External Drive connected on USB port of Time Capsule : My Book - Multimédia
Password for external drive : None.

The external drive works fine with any other computer/device.

Thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Dr Minion, are you able to navigate to the external drive via Finder? This should appear as a folder when you browse to 'Shared' → your Time Capsule. The name that Sonos requires for adding to the Music Library will be the name of the Time Capsule as it appears in Airport Utility, and then backslash the name of the folder which the external drive is seen as in Finder. For example this may be \\Time Capsule\MyBookMultimedia.

Sometimes adding an external drive attached via USB to a network device will give us more trouble than usual. You may wish to store the music directly on the Time Capsule, if you have the space.
Hi Tom, I actualy have personnal support from your crew because those tips didn't work. Thank you.