Answered

Tidal Randomly Mutes

Afternoon all. Recent subscriber to Tidal and loving the increased sound quality, but having an issue with a zone muting itself for a few seconds randomly. Most of my speakers are grouped together: Kitchen, Dining Room, Living Room, Family Room, Office, etc.  I’ve noticed that when playing Tidal, the “host” device (which is listed at the top of the group) will randomly go silent for 5-10 seconds. Other speakers in the group continue to play the music, and after a few seconds the “host” zone resumes playing.  Most of my gear is Connect:Amps (1st Generation), I’m wondering if they don’t have enough horsepower to play the grouping or if something else is going on.

Has anyone else experienced this? It’s only happening with Tidal, Spotify and SiriusXM continue to be just fine in the same grouping.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by John G 7 June 2020, 23:07

@mlx52 Thank you for the follow up information and the diagnostic report number. I am going to assume that you had an installer setup your wifi and Sonos equipment. If you are not familiar with your full network topology I would strongly recommend you speak with your network installer to confirm what network equipment is installed there and the best practice for re-booting those devices.

We can see that about half of your Sonos equipment is wired to the network with the wifi card disabled. That means, only the Guest Bathroom and Master Bath unit(s) showing wired to the network are sending out Sonosnet to what looks like 6 other products. The report also shows indications that Ethernet wiring could be bad or going bad. Based on experience and some guessing, without more information, I am hoping a full network and Sonos equipment power re-boot off/on for 30 seconds will fresh Sonos using Sonosnet on refreshed network equipment.

Once you can do a proper power re-boot then please test the music playback for 30 minutes and try to reproduce the error/issue and then follow up here with the results and a new diagnostic report number. Your network appears to comprised of Enterprise grade equipment access points and switches that unless configured correctly can affect how we can perform/communicate on that network. Also, settings may or could have changed with any update on those items. Before we would have your installer come out to confirm network settings doing a full power re-boot would be the best course of action.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

@mlx52 Thank you for reaching out to us here and welcome to the Sonos Community. I would be more concerned with a possible boot failure happening with your product without seeing a diagnostic report or knowing your wifi network topology. Please update us with a diagnostic report number when this issue is happening for you. I would also ask that you take notice of the light of this unit to see if the light stays solid white during this loss of audio or flashes white then returns solid solid white and then the audio continues.

We will also need your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). Lastly, do you have any of your Sonos products wired to the network router or are they connected wirelessly on the 2.4 G connection? Also, is there anything that this one product could be sitting on or near that could be adding or affecting it with wifi interference that could be adjusted?

Thanks for the help, I’ve gone ahead and submitted a diagnostics report: 1201718298.

Also equipment wise, all of the 6 Connect:Amps (Gen2) are located in the server room and directly wired to the main 48 port managed switch for the house (WiFi should be turned off for the Amps).  The only wireless devices are Sonos One and Beam units and haven’t noticed that issue on those, but those are played far less.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

@mlx52 Thank you for the follow up information and the diagnostic report number. I am going to assume that you had an installer setup your wifi and Sonos equipment. If you are not familiar with your full network topology I would strongly recommend you speak with your network installer to confirm what network equipment is installed there and the best practice for re-booting those devices.

We can see that about half of your Sonos equipment is wired to the network with the wifi card disabled. That means, only the Guest Bathroom and Master Bath unit(s) showing wired to the network are sending out Sonosnet to what looks like 6 other products. The report also shows indications that Ethernet wiring could be bad or going bad. Based on experience and some guessing, without more information, I am hoping a full network and Sonos equipment power re-boot off/on for 30 seconds will fresh Sonos using Sonosnet on refreshed network equipment.

Once you can do a proper power re-boot then please test the music playback for 30 minutes and try to reproduce the error/issue and then follow up here with the results and a new diagnostic report number. Your network appears to comprised of Enterprise grade equipment access points and switches that unless configured correctly can affect how we can perform/communicate on that network. Also, settings may or could have changed with any update on those items. Before we would have your installer come out to confirm network settings doing a full power re-boot would be the best course of action.