Three of my S1 Devices Stopped Connecting

• 2 August 2022
  • 4 replies

First off, all but two devices (surrounds for my Beam) are wired into my network. 2.4GHz Wifi is pretty much useless here due to interference - its a 166 unit condo tower. 5GHz is of limited use due to all the steel and concrete restricting range. Six of my Sonos devices are on S1, a lone gifted device is S2 only and currently a door stop because of it. The network infrastructure consists of an older high end 3x3 Wifi router with 3x managed switches, 1x dumb switch, and dozens of wired devices. Among those devices are two Sony Airplay capable systems which unlike the flakey Sonos setup have never, ever, been a problem.

Everything sort of worked (issues with latency/pair sync and drop outs, but it all talked) until my Connect died. After disconnecting the Connect (which looks like it needs re-capping, but I’m in no hurry), all but one of my S1 speakers immediately stopped working. I power cycled everything and one more speaker started working. I performed a factory reset on the most accessible of the non-working speakers and have a green flashing light, but when I try adding it the IOS app immediately spits out the message “previously used on a different Sonos system and must be reset”. The message is instant as if its not even trying to connect. Indicator light on the speaker changes to flashing orange after this. Trying to reset again yields no difference. I suspect the issue falls on the IOS app as it’s *barely* functional in the best of times, but unfortunately I see no way to add a device using the more reliable Mac S1 Controller software.

What now?

Forgot to mention - the router can see the unconfigured speaker, it is being assigned an IP address.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Could you temporarily move all the Sonos to the dumb switch to see if that improves things?

If possible also hook a tablet controller to the same switch. I do that by turning the WiFi off on my tablet and using an USB to Ethernet adapter to connect.

The unconfigured device is the only one that was plugged into the dumb switch.

I unplugged everything from the router, walked the one unconfigured speaker over and plugged it in to the router directly, plugged the phone in directly with a 15 year old Apple USB > Ethernet adapter hooked up with USB > Lightning.

Now when adding the device it sees it same as before, again I put it in setup mode by pressing the indicated buttons and indicator starts flashing orange. Instead of instantly failing it just sits for a minute and tells me “cant find the device”, “try moving closer” - about 12 times now. Power cycling makes no difference. Verified that there are no WiFi networks listed in the S1 App so it doesn’t try connecting wirelessly. Would be nice if it would give me actual logs rather than just lowest common denominator messages.

Will try digging out my ancient and much simpler travel router tomorrow and try configuring it over that. If it doesn’t work looks like I’ll be looking for other solutions and actively campaigning against these garbage products and their useless “apps”.

Unrelated complaint - a couple years back after many hours of experimentation I discovered much to my annoyance that Sonos products will not talk, at all, to devices hooked up to the network with a teamed network connection (combining 2x ethernet ports to double your throughput), I had to move iTunes away from my server it to a dedicated device and replace two of my switches because of this quirk. All worked fine pre-Sonos on Airport Expresses - too bad they dont make them anymore.

Unrelated complaint - a couple years back after many hours of experimentation I discovered much to my annoyance that Sonos products will not talk, at all, to devices hooked up to the network with a teamed network connection (combining 2x ethernet ports to double your throughput), I had to move iTunes away from my server it to a dedicated device and replace two of my switches because of this quirk. All worked fine pre-Sonos on Airport Expresses - too bad they dont make them anymore.

FWIW …My Sonos products all talk to my Netgear NAS over a teamed 2gig network connection setup with ‘round robin’ load balancing - at least I’ve never had any issues.

I have several NAS boxes with ‘teamed’ network connections and all work with no issues. The library share works with all versions of SMB.

Maybe Sonos have fixed this since you last tried it, but I have it working here with both my S1 and S2 system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

LED Colors and State: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226?language=en_US

Any chance you have your phone’s Bluetooth or other required service off?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3092?language=en_US