This is the first day that I haven't cussed out loud at Sonos

• 30 January 2021
  • 1 reply

I live in an apartment building with a lot of 2.4Ghz interference.  Signal scans would often show upwards of 25 battling 2.4Ghz signals, and that’s the environment in which I was trying to get Sonos to behave.  I tried wireless first, which was a disaster.  Then I got a Boost, which helped somewhat, but not enough.  So I hardwired one of the speakers, then added the Boost, then hardwired a second speaker plus the Boost, and everything would work for 30 minutes or so until my neighbors came home, or until I decided to use the microwave (!).

Over the past year or so I took advantage of the upgrade discount to get rid of my abominable Play:1s.  Then yesterday I finally decided to replace those terrible Gen1 Ones with One SLs, hoping that being 100% 5Ghz compatible would be my ticket.  After setting them up, rebooting my router, and confirming that all of my Sonos speakers were hooked up to 5G...hallelujah!  Rock-solid connection, amazing sound, AirPlay FINALLY works dependably.

The moral of this story: If your Sonos setup is working fine on 2.4Ghz, more power to you.  However, if you’re having problems with your 2.4Ghz environment, and you've been trying different things to alleviate the situation, just give up.  It’s never going to get better.  I really should have waited until 5G capability was available before I took the initial Sonos plunge, and I’m pretty miffed about the money and the hours and hours of precious time that I wasted trying to get this system to work on 2.4Ghz.  But, lesson learned.

Anybody need a Boost or a couple Gen1 Ones?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I’d wait a few days before screaming hallelujah. At the moment, the 5 GHz band might be less crowded than the 2.4 band but it has a limited range and trouble penetrating through walls.