Question

The Sonos app is very unstable and keeps disconnecting since the latest IOS 10.2 update

• 19 December 2016
  • 32 replies

Hi all,

Is it only happening to me or is the problem mentioned in the title thread also affecting other people?

Looking forward to you answers.

Thanks,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Connection problem solved after the iPhone iOS 10.2 update. Turn off Wi-Fi Assist on iPhone Settings > Cellular (Mobile Data) > Wi-Fi Assist - found at the bottom of the list. Thanks to Sonos support for this.
Connection problem solved after the iPhone iOS 10.2 update. Turn off Wi-Fi Assist on iPhone Settings > Cellular (Mobile Data) > Wi-Fi Assist - found at the bottom of the list. Thanks to Sonos support for this.instant fix for me here using that, also stopped working immediately after updating my iPhone to iOS 10.2. Disabled wifi assist and the sonos app reconnected instantly 🙂
Happening to me too. Immediately after installing iOS 10.2...
Exactly the same problem with me, Sonos disconnecting, after updating my iPhone to IOS 10.2 two days ago. I've tried all other remedies without success. My partner's iPhone still works fine with Sonos - it wasn't updated to IOS 10.2!
Solution

Very annoying. It seems to be an issue where the app stops "talking" to the Sonos system shortly after the iDevice auto locks thus playback stops. Rebooting all devices does not work and it is not a wireless issue imho as my controller is hard wired.

To solve this - until Sonos update the app to remedy this issue - is to leave the Sonos app open and plug the phone into a charger. This leads to the app staying open and content continuing to play once the auto off kicks in on the iDevice.

Hope this helps,
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Am I understanding correctly that this problem occurs because of a disconnect between iOS and sonos? That is, when apple issues a new update, sonos hasn't caught up with them for the latest update?

Correct, this issue occurs on occasion when a new verison of iOS is released - was not an issue before iOS 10. The basic issue in this instance is how the Sonos app behaves once the phone locks e.g after 5 minutes. Due to the app not being optimized for iOS 10 it does not continue to allow playback of media to continue. I can confirm WIFI assit is not a factor.

That isn't correct. Once playback has been initiated the controller (iPhone) is irrelevant. Satisfy yourself of this reality by turning your iPone off or flushing down the toilet - Playback will continue as requested. (Unless the media is on the phone itself)
Am I understanding correctly that this problem occurs because of a disconnect between iOS and sonos? That is, when apple issues a new update, sonos hasn't caught up with them for the latest update?

Correct, this issue occurs on occasion when a new verison of iOS is released - was not an issue before iOS 10. The basic issue in this instance is how the Sonos app behaves once the phone locks e.g after 5 minutes. Due to the app not being optimized for iOS 10 it does not continue to allow playback of media to continue. I can confirm WIFI assit is not a factor.

That isn't correct. Once playback has been initiated the controller (iPhone) is irrelevant. Satisfy yourself of this reality by turning your iPone off or flushing down the toilet - Playback will continue as requested. (Unless the media is on the phone itself)

This is indeed correct. The issue resolved with the above workaround is afflicting only those who play media off their iDevices. This is quite a common scenario due to the well documented issue of the Sonos 65000 song limit. To clarify while playing songs (carefully curated playlists) or podcasts through the Sonos system via the app on an iDevice (iPhone or iPad) playback will cease once the auto-lock value is reached while the device is used when not connected to a power source
Had a similar problem with my iPad playing along...then stopping when it went to sleep. Plugging in didn't change anything. What DID help was to make a change in Settings->Sounds...in the section for Ringers and Alerts there is a toggle for Change with Buttons. For me, in both plugged in and battery usage, enabling Change with Buttons let the screen blank and the music continued. Likewise, in both plugged in and battery operation, with this option disabled, the iPad would timeout and stop playing. probably it has to stay partially awake to monitor for button presses, Hope this helps someone.

MoreDrums
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Yes, what your are talking about is a NAS there are many to pick from in all kinds of sizes and price. The great thing is you can back up all your devices to it as well and store movies too.

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/WD-My-Cloud-EX4100-NAS-Server/3626197.aspx?cm_cat=GoogleBase&cm_ite=3626197&cm_pla=NA-NA-WES_DW&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=VomHYAAAAC3SUwTb:20170425190311:s&gclid=CjwKEAjw5_vHBRCBtt2NqqCDjiESJABD5rCJNC2M7vn12vrZF1NJ6InV0cfteR2gQ932tbkyseeXXBoCoPzw_wcB&s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!192470025334!!!g!60699215464!

Try turning off "WiFi assist" on your phone that may help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Or put 50,000 tracks into google play music for free:-
https://play.google.com/about/music/sonos/
Your music will then stream endlessly like a radio station, until you pause it on top of play unit. It will then continue to play when you return and press pause again. It will continue to play when you phone is off or out of the house. GPM also syncs with your iTunes library.
Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Hi all,

Is it only happening to me or is the problem mentioned in the title thread also affecting other people?

Looking forward to you answers.

Thanks,

It's happening to me too... I have another iPhone still working on iOS 10.1 and everything is fine.

Apparently the Sonos app is not fully compatible with iOS 10.2 😕
That's three people in two days so it is unlikely to be a general incompatibility (although never say never). More likely is that @jgatie's reply is correct and worth following his advice as a first troubleshooting measure.
Badge
I'm having the same disconnect issues, however I'm experiencing it with my Mac app as well. The Sonos app on my machine struggles to create an initial connection with the Sonos player. When it does eventually connect, I'm lucky to get through one song. I'm having the same issues when my Connect is wired to my switch or if using all wireless. It does't matter if I use TuneIn, my library or songs on my phone....same result. From my perspective, I'm not so sure it's related to IOS 10.2, but who knows.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I use several updated iPhones with no problems at all. Try a reboot
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It seems that the Apple WiFi assist feature that disconnects from wifi and continues on mobile phone (cellular) when wifi signal is deemed to be weak means that the phone is disconnected from the wifi network thence disconnecting the phone from Sonos. The problem from our point of view is that if the phone connects to the mobile network Sonos stops working - there aren't many other scenarios where that behaviour is undesirable.

Thanks for posting folks. I am new to Sonos but ever since having it and running it from my iPhone I have had continuous disconnection problems. As stated above, if I set it to radio it will run fine - although turning it off becomes a problem! I can only regain access to the Sonos system by doing a soft reset on my iPhone. If I'm playing music from my phone - it drops out after a few minutes, only resolvable by the soft reset. FYI - I have super powerful WIFI all over the house, so it's not that. Are you saying that if my phone doesn't lock, this won't happen? And can I stop it from locking by plugging it in? Currently my new shiny sound system is almost pointless as I can't play any of my own music.... Any info much appreciated. Cheers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
try turning off WiFi assist on your phone.
Thanks MoreDrum. Alas, I already have this in place and still have the same problem if playing music from my phone. The radio stations work but that doesn't help. Is there another way to set up the Sonos system without going through wifi from my phone? A hard drive directly wired in to the system? Has anyone else done this?
Isn't clear if your phone is an iPhone or not. On my iphone and ipad, Wireless Assist is off (Settings->Cellular Data) and both work fine WITH buttons enabled. On ipad with buttons disabled, the music would stop and would start automatically as soon as I clicked the home button to wake up. On the iphone, it seems I have to click Play again. Best to just set your screen delay as short as possible (30 seconds) and watch to see if that is when the music stops. For me it was super consistent once I started paying attention...before that it felt random! Be very deliberate as you test.
Thanks for your help CapnLes, that's fantastic. I'll look into it:-)
That sounds even better. I'll look into that. Thanks ??
Badge
I have the same issue even though I'm using Samsung S7 with Android 7.0. All speakers (PlayBar, Sub and 2 Play5) paired together.
Somtimes when I try to use the app it says "Can not find Sonos system." I have to unpair the speakers, reboot them and then I can connect again. It happen second time within 2 months.
Rebooted everything and still have the issue.