Answered

the connection to Tunein was lost

Badge
For the past 2 weeks (end of April 2017) I have not been able to run podcasts through the SONOS app on onto my SONOS speakers. I get the message "the connection to Tunein was lost". The radio stations play just fine and podcasts older than 2 weeks play just fine, but not the new ones. When I use the Tunein app directly the podcasts play just fine so I am pretty sure it is not a copyright issue.
Any suggestions from anyone?
icon

Best answer by David John 24 October 2017, 18:35

I can confirm that the problem has been resolved (at least thus far) by updating to V 8.0 (and now 8.1).
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi David, welcome to the Sonos community. Can you send us a diagnostic after having just tried a podcast, and reply here with the number? May we also ask for an example of a podcast which is failing, so we can attempt to replicate it here?
Badge
The specific podcasts are from CBC Radio.
I will try to send you an error/diagnostic number tonight when I hook into it.
Badge
Here is a screen shot of the problem.
There is no error number or reference to anything.
It appears to be just the newer CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) radio podcasts.
This one was "Day 6" - the specific podcast here is episode 337.
I really enjoy playing CBC podcasts on my SONOS and not being able to do so is a major disappointment.
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks for the screen shot David. Taking a look at a diagnostic report from your system would shed the most light on the problem. When you have a moment to submit one please the confirmation drop the confirmation number in a new reply so we can take a look.
Badge
Would be happy to, but how do I do that?
Is there a menu item in my SONOS application that has that?
If you click on the underlined words "diagnostic report" in his answer, it will take you to a page that explains how to do that.

And yes, it's in the Sonos app, usually under the settings/advanced settings area, but may vary slightly depending on what platform you're using. All explained in that link 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks, clicking on this link will take you to an article that runs down the steps needed to submit the report from your Sonos App.
Badge
I believe this is the number you were looking for.
"Your confirmation number is: 7451062".
I am also uploading the screen shot of the error log, but it is basically the same as the other one I sent.
Let me know if you need anything else or if I still don't have the right number.
Thanks, David John. We've had some reports of other CBC podcasts having issues, and we've reported it to our engineers. We're unsure where the issue is occurring, but they're currently investigating.
Badge
Thanks.
It seems that all new podcasts after April have this issue. Older podcasts still work oddly enough.
I'm having the same issue with the Reveal podcast. Older episodes working, new ones not. Was there any resolution on op's podcast?
Badge
There has not been any resolution to this issue. I was initially impressed by the quick response from SONOS on the issue, but it looks like they have dropped the ball. Very disappointing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
There has not been any resolution to this issue. I was initially impressed by the quick response from SONOS on the issue, but it looks like they have dropped the ball. Very disappointing.

If you post the details of a couple of the podcasts then other users can check. It will you and others work out if it's your system, a Sonos or a TuneIn issue.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
As per another thread on this - I will confirm this is not just your system - I have not been able to play some CBC podcasts through SONOS for months now as well. Any podcast method through SONOS (e.g. TuneIn, Stitcher) won't work - but each service through their own app will work.
I am actually also quite disappointed in how long this has taken with no resolution. And yes, be can always be shared with the services in question (in this case CBC) but still - playing their podcasts any other way works, and through SONOS no. Same with Apple Music - it's really never been a complete integration, and with time, continued to deliver less and less features.
I feel it is alarming trend that SONOS access to many services are becoming increasingly broken - or not as good as access through other means (e.g. native apps), with inconvenient kludges to make it work. Even more disappointing given their stated recognition that streaming services are the future.
Badge
I have posted podcasts (actually any CBC podcast after April doesn't work so no point in providing just one or two when there's a whole web site full of podcasts that can't be played. Now I'm hearing other people are having the same issue with other sites. I have provided all of the info SONOS asked for and still no resolution after several months. For the first 8 months of owning SONOS I was a huge fan and advocate but with lack of response to what should be a simple issue I find I can no longer provide a positive review until this issue is fixed.
Badge
I also just got a new message that stated that the CBC podcast I was playing was 'in an unsupported format,.
While I am not a techie I find it hard to believe that the CBC would use some sort of weird format that would not be widely supported.
I keep coming back to I can play it through TuneIn 'S native app but can't play it through SONOS.
Hmmm - I wonder where the problem lies.
Badge
I have heard that other sound systems have worked with certain apps to allow for access to the system through their app, like Apple Music or TuneIn. This has the advantage of allowing for using the same navigation and feature set that you are used to in the native app rather than trying to relearn it in SONOS which tends to dumb down the feature set.
Badge
I may have found one work around, although it is less than ideal.
It appears that when I download the episode to my iPad using Apple Podcasts and then access it through the SONOS 'On this iPad' menu, then the podcast plays. But this introduces a new step (not to mention memory on my iPad) to listen to the podcast rather than just being able to play it directly through the TuneIn menu option. I hope they don't say I need to subscribe to the Premium TuneIn app to get that functionality because I'm not going to do that and besides it plays for free on the native app directly.
Userlevel 1
I have the same problem with a different podcast.
I have same problem with RTS (Swiss Radio) and France Inter - as above, the shows only that stopped working a couple weeks ago, not the live streaming that still works
I have same problem with RTS (Swiss Radio) and France Inter - as above, the shows only that stopped working a couple weeks ago, not the live streaming that still works
A number of radio stations have recently changed their so called content delivery network (CDN), and since then a few Internet service providers have been experiencing issues with the routing of this new CDN. Therefore contact your ISP for troubleshooting.
Yes, maybe in theory it's the ISPs "fault" but this is both from Switzerland (Swisscom ISP) and the US (Verizon) and I am able to get the shows when connecting directly to TuneIn... So seems more like a Sonos issue.
The latest release that I installed this morning appears to have resolved at least some issues - some programs/ stations have disappeared but those that are there seem to work again.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I just started experiencing this with all programs from the Danish National Radio (DR). Its a huge pain in the back as I almost exclusively used my sonos for listing to their programs...

Any ideas on how to fix it? I can find the show on the TuneIn webpage and listen to it their, but in the Sonos app it just says Connection to TuneIn Lost. The weekly update on the podcasts show up so it has to be somewhere in-between the url being passed from TuneIn to Sonos?
I just started experiencing this with all programs from the Danish National Radio (DR). Its a huge pain in the back as I almost exclusively used my sonos for listing to their programs...

Any ideas on how to fix it? I can find the show on the TuneIn webpage and listen to it their, but in the Sonos app it just says Connection to TuneIn Lost. The weekly update on the podcasts show up so it has to be somewhere in-between the url being passed from TuneIn to Sonos?

@TRLC: I am experiencing problems with podcasts from Danish National Radio as well and have therefore started a new topic with focus on DR specifically:
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/podcasts-from-danish-radio-dr-not-playing-the-connection-to-tunein-was-lost-6790856