The Connection to SiriusXM was lost (An all-too-common theme)

• 13 February 2021
  • 5 replies

I’ve used SiriusXM for the past 2 years on my Sonos with no problem. Last week it started intermittently stopping playback. It would start again if I hit play again. Starting last night I got “This channel is no longer available” when choosing it from my favorites”. It was still available and eventually worked after closing the Sonos app and reopening. Today, the same favorite just blinks like it is about to play and then doesn’t. When I go to Sirius XM in the Sonos app and choose a channel, I get “The connection to Sirius XM was lost.” Sirius plays of course through Airplay and from the Sirius XM app and the Web with no problem. - just never through my Sonos speakers - which makes them very expensive bricks.

There are many threads on this repeated issue and I tried all the reported fixes. The Sonos site says XM is up and running. I disconnected Sirius XM within the Sonos app. I also tried uninstalling the Sonos and Sirius apps and created a new password in Sirius as previous people have suggested. I tried restarting the phone It doesn’t work.

By the way, the Sonos app has crashed on me many times since upgrading to the S2 app a couple of months ago when I try to play almost anything on my iPhone 11Pro Max. Just now for example, I started playing a book from Audible and the app crashed while the book kept playing through the Sonos speakers. I am currently running iOS 14.4. I tried to get tech support and even though I’m within the chat hours on a Saturday it says no one is available. Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 2

It seems Sonos is aware of this issue.

https://status.sonos.com/?utm_source=embed

I’ve never seen the link you provided say anything other than Sirius is operational and as you can see in my original post I already checked that. It is working again but my app is still crashing every time I start playing something. It continues to play and then I have to reopen the app to turn volume down etc. anyone else having that issue also?

It is less than a day later and my Sonos suddenly stopped playing Sirius XM again. The app crashed when I went to look at it and now says the song was encoded wrong and won’t play Sirius. Just like before, https://status.sonos.com/?utm_source=embed says Sirius XM is up and running. I would really appreciate a permanent solution.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @mkr44, not aware of any ongoing issues with SiriusXM currently, so this could be related to your local network.

Would it be possible to reboot your router (turning it off for about 15 seconds before turning back on), followed by each Sonos speaker? Is there any improvement when everything is back online?

If you’re still having trouble, mind letting us know a little more about the network setup? What make/model of router are you using? Do you have any wireless extenders/mesh devices in the network? Is Sonos on a fully wireless connection, or are any connected via Ethernet cable?

This has been an intermittent issue for years. But you’re right OP, recently it’s worse. I’m very invested in Sonos across two houses but rather unhappy with them compared to a 5 year old Chromecast audio setup. It’s the same old story from Sonia too that “it’s our issue.” 

Also the fact google assistant still can’t change XM channels or turn XM on blows my mind.