Question

talksport cutting out

unable to listen to talksport on Sonos, sound is cutting out every second"

79 replies

Same here. I have to play through an app for it to work properly now. Also sends my speaker a bit nuts and I have to power it down!
OK, I'll bite. What is talksport? Is it a service? Is it a station on a service? How are you listening to it?

How is your Sonos system set up, is it wired, or wireless?
Hi, talksport is a radio station. I would always listen to it by just asking Alexa to play it but this last week or so it just constantly keeps cutting out stopping and starting. When I try to stop it with Alexa it won’t and just keeps trying to start again. The only way off stopping is by powering down and restarting.

The only way of playing it properly is through a dedicated radio app.

I am set up wireless.

it has always before worked fine.

Thanks.
Where does this radio station live? Is it associated with TuneIn, iHeart Radio, radio.com?

Do you have a link to them that you could share?

What device does the dedicated app run on?

Does it still work on a normal Alexa speaker, and just not on your Sonos speaker?

The whole “not stopping” aspect is concerning. As a generic suggestion, I would recommend a refresh of you LAN. Unplug all of your Sonos devices, then reboot your router. Once the router has come back up, plug back in your Sonos devices.

I am not sure that this will fix your issue at all, but it certainly won’t hurt, either.

I might also recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
It is a MW radio station, not associated with Tuneln or the others as I’m aware of. (talksport.com).

To get it to work properly I am using Radioplayer app from the play store on Android.

i do not have a normal Alexa speaker to try it on.

just trying it again now and still the same. Very strange how it won’t let me stop it, even when I press pause on the Sonos app it just restarts on its own and I have to power the speaker down to stop it.

i will try the router reset as you suggest.

Thanks
I can find it on TuneIn's website player, so I'd assume that it's in the TuneIn plugin for Sonos. You may want to try that as well.
Mine does the same if you go through Alexa, but I’ve just tried opening the app > tunein radio > sports stations > top sports stations > and selecting it that way and it works fine. Must be a bug playing it through Alexa
Thanks for the responses.

I will just play it through my radio player app for now and keep trying to hopefully it will start working again 😊
Did anyone find a way of getting this to work normally through the Alexa voice command? Driving me mad!
No I haven't, I listen to it through the Sonos app now as it works ok that way.
Just bought a Sonos One Alexa and can't get Talksport. All other stations are ok but this one just stops every second. Won't let me switch off either? What can I do to sort this?
Hi, if you open the Sonos app and search for talk sport on the stations tab you can play it from there.
I’m having the same issue, but mine is on the new Sonos Move when I ask Alexa to play Talksport - bizarrely the same happens with BBC Radio 5 live. Has anyone managed to get this resolved without having to open and play via the Sonos app?
Userlevel 7
All

Reference TalkSport Radio

Try saying,...Alexa, play Talksport by TuneIn (Radio)
I think the issue is with compatibility problems between TuneIn and Sonos as it works perfectly on my Echo devices....

Talk Sport keeps stopping and starting on my Sonos when I ask Alexa to play it also. Plays fine on Echo Dot therefore must be a Sonos issue. 

Mine recently stated this, I deleted off the Sonos favourite and re-installed it, still keeps dropping, I access this via my Apple products but no other stations drop out.

Badge +1

Did anyone ever find a way of solving this? Just wonder if it has been raised with Sonos. 

There has been a Sonos update and mine now seems fine though it could be a coincidence. 

I’ve got the same problem, firmware is up to date.

Given that this is a two month old thread, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. 

Same type of problems with iHeartRadio radio...

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

See the suggestion above.

The solution to this USED to be saying “Play TalkSport on Tunein” and it would play TalkSport perfectly clearly (assuming you had Tunein skill enabled).

However , there has been some recent change and Alexa (both on Sonos and via Echo) interprets this as “Play TalkSport 2”, and plays that instead.  So it seems to be a general Alexa problem not just Sonos.

I suspect Alexa’s confusion seems to be with the “2” and the “TU” part of Tunein, meaning it stupidly interprets it as you wanting to hear “Talksport 2”. 

TalkSport 2 is a sister station of TalkSport; but usually caters more to minority sports and lower league football, which I’m not that interested in.

Saying “Play Talksport” alone results in the cutting out issue raised by the OP.

The only way around it seems to be to play it via the App, which sort of defeats the point of Alexa.

Unfortunately, Sonos doesn’t have any control over the way the cloud service interprets voice commands. Sonos only hears the “Alexa” or “Hey, Google”, and the rest is sent out of Sonos’ realm for processing.

I hope there’s someone here who has a useful suggestion, but you may also want to ask on a forum for the Amazon cloud service.