Answered

System Unusable

• 9 September 2019
  • 6 replies

The large problem:
When all rooms are grouped together music cuts in and out randomly from room to room and from speaker to speaker. It is especially bad when I first group them, when I change the volume, or when I change the song. But even when I'm just listening to music a random room will drop, or in rooms with paired speakers a random one will stop.

The immediate problem:
I used to have a bridge and a boost but still had the previously mentioned issue, but it wasn't as severe. The dropping in and out between rooms when first grouped would only last about 20 seconds compared to now when it never really stops. Recently I received an email from Sonos saying the bridge will no longer be supported. So, I got rid of it and that resulted in essentially no longer listening to music in more than 3 rooms grouped at a time. I Ordered a new boost and connected it. I previously had one of the paired play5 hardwired but decided if I was going to have two boost I might has well wire as many speakers as I easily could. So, I wired both play5 and the beam. This resulted in no changes. I Decided to reset the controller because last time I talked to Sonos they suggested that. Now the app is incredibly glitchy, takes forever to load, randomly crashes, and nearly all my rooms are missing from the app except one or two. Even the ones that are in the app I cannot play anything - the beams will not play any music or TV audio.

Background information:
Internet Provider: ATT 100Mbps
Router: Linksy Velop
House: single story home built in 1947 with plaster walls
Sonos set up:
Living room: beam, two play5 connected to turntable all three connected via ethernet to velop nod
Dining room: paired play1
Kitchen: play1
Sunroom: beam, boost connected via ethernet to velop nod
Master bedroom: paired play1
Masterbath: play1
Hallway: play1
Office: paired play1, boost connected via ethernet to velop nod
Guest bathroom: play1
Guest bedroom: play 1
Foyer: play1
Speaker count: 16
Boost count: 2

Other wifi devices:
3 smart tvs
3 cell phones
1 desktop computer
20 ikea smart bulbs
8 ikea smart bulb controllers
1 ikea gateway

Other relevant information:
ATT router is set to act only as a modem allowing the velop to be the only router. When I look in the velop app it shows just 1 ikea tradfri device becouse the gateway is connected taking all the other devices off. It shows every single Sonos device but it shows them all as being connected via ethernet. I set the beam, and two boost to be the priority devices. I have previously contacted Sonos when I was on a bridge, boost and one play5 wired set up, and they reset my controller and reset the channel. No major changes. It was suggested to me that I'll have better connectivity if I group less speakers. That is an issue for me because I want whole home audio, because 1) I enjoy being about to move about my house and the music is continuous and seamlessly flows from room to room and 2) I entertain a lot and enjoy being able to have music in every room for everyone to enjoy. Additionally, Sonos says they support 32 devices but I'm only at a little over half that.

I've always had some issues with the set up but they were tolerable, then I added the beams and the issues were annoying, I added the play5 pair and it became very frustrating and when I got rid of the bridge the system became unusable as whole home audio.

I'm sorry I provided so much information but I am desperate for help. Does anyone have any idea or solutions besides wiring all the speakers?
icon

Best answer by ratty 9 September 2019, 08:49

A few observations:

1/ Because you have chosen to wire Sonos components to multiple Velop nodes, the system is dependent on the wireless backhauls between them. This is a bad idea. The system will think these are wired inter-connections when they're not. Latency fluctuations in the Velop mesh could have detrimental effects on the ability to maintain Sonos group sync. I suggest you wire Sonos components to only the primary node.

2/ The Boosts wired to the secondary nodes are potentially redundant, as you already have a wired player nearby.

3/ Unless the Velop 2.4GHz channels have been carefully chosen to avoid SonosNet they could be causing interference.

4/ The IKEA smart bulbs could also potentially be introducing interference, as they evidently use the 2.4GHz Zigbee technology. At the very least one would want to keep those components well spaced from the Sonos units.

To start with I suggest you unwire the Sonos components that are connected to the Velop secondary nodes. If that causes some players to have range problems you can always deploy the liberated Boosts to act as wireless relays.

I think you should then submit a system diagnostic, note the confirmation number, and either post it here or call Sonos direct. Someone needs to take a good look at the state of your wireless communications.
View original

6 replies

A few observations:

1/ Because you have chosen to wire Sonos components to multiple Velop nodes, the system is dependent on the wireless backhauls between them. This is a bad idea. The system will think these are wired inter-connections when they're not. Latency fluctuations in the Velop mesh could have detrimental effects on the ability to maintain Sonos group sync. I suggest you wire Sonos components to only the primary node.

2/ The Boosts wired to the secondary nodes are potentially redundant, as you already have a wired player nearby.

3/ Unless the Velop 2.4GHz channels have been carefully chosen to avoid SonosNet they could be causing interference.

4/ The IKEA smart bulbs could also potentially be introducing interference, as they evidently use the 2.4GHz Zigbee technology. At the very least one would want to keep those components well spaced from the Sonos units.

To start with I suggest you unwire the Sonos components that are connected to the Velop secondary nodes. If that causes some players to have range problems you can always deploy the liberated Boosts to act as wireless relays.

I think you should then submit a system diagnostic, note the confirmation number, and either post it here or call Sonos direct. Someone needs to take a good look at the state of your wireless communications.
1) I have taken your advise and now none of my speakers are wired. I have one boost wired to the main node only.

2) I had the second boost wired in the hopes of performance and reliability improvements - I see that was a mistake now.

3) Each node creates its own channel automatically based off reducing interference. I will check again and change the SonosNet channel.

4) I have the IKEA lights and the Sonos units as separate as possible

I have emailed Sonos in the hopes of scheduling a call. I will run a diagnostic and post the reference here as well. I would like to pull my matrix and post it here as well.

Thanks for all your help. Just doing the changes you suggested as already imported the system significantly.
I would like to pull my matrix and post it here as well.
By all means. It's only a snapshot and very much of a subset of the treasure trove of information contained in the full diagnostic, but it does at least provide an indication of the state of the SonosNet mesh.
Al.E.Gator...

This may also assist you too...

This is what velop users used to do to change and fix their WiFi channels and width but it appears a firmware update may have removed the access as stated below, but perhaps take a look and see...

1 Log into your router from a web page. It will try and suggest that you log into the router via the app, but at the bottom you can click the use browser option.
2 Main admin page will load. In bottom right hand corner all the way at bottom there is a link that says "CA" - click it.
3 The page will re-load and appear, but look slightly different than before.
4 Now click Wireless settings from menu on left. Change whatever you want and hit Apply. Router will reset and you will need to reconnect.

I would suggest trying to find the least used WiFi channel in your locality and set all your velop hubs to the same fixed channel and then ensure the SonosNet channel is set at least 5 channels away from that. That too may improve your wireless connectivity with Sonos.
Here is my diagnostic number: 1239466912 for anyone that would like to check it out.

And here is my Matrix:

This was created and pulled after I disconnected all speakers and have one boost connected to the main velop node.
Pretty good, and unless bad interference strikes I can't see why the system won't perform in this configuration.

Is 'Living Room Beam' very close to the Boost? It looks like it. If that Beam can be wired easily it would actually make a better 'root' node. The Boost could then be set aside. Beam contains the latest, most powerful, radio module.