Answered

System has started ungrouping itself after input change

• 23 March 2020
  • 8 replies

For the past few months my system has started ungrouping when changing input. I’ve tried just about everything I can think of and haven’t been able to find a solve. The system worked flawlessly for years before that.

Most of the system is wired and I’ve also assigned static IPs. “Ungroup on Autoplay” is disabled and “Group Non-Airplay Products” is enabled.

I think one of the previous software updates caused the issue. I recall it starting after one.

Diagnostic: 1227001395

Any help is greatly appreciated! Now that I’m spending more time at home I have more time to look into this (and be aggravated by the issue)

icon

Best answer by Adam S 23 March 2020, 19:59

Multicasting, UPNP, and DNS communication issues can describe a lot of these symptoms you are currently experiencing.

I would like you to make sure that the network devices have the proper configuration settings outlined on our website first.

It may also be useful to make sure the system requirements are being met currently. 

Updating the system does not change how the players connect but it does reboot them. I wonder if the static IPs are also having issues re-leasing?

The next step I would take if everything else looks fine is to have only one Sonos unit connected to the router and bypass extra layers within the network to assess if the issues are still present. That would let us know if the problem it topology related.

View original

8 replies

What inputs are we talking about?  Aux wired input, TV input, streaming services, airplay?

It seems to happen when switching to or from TV input or to or from Airplay. I also use Sonos and Alexa streaming, but those don’t seem to cause issues unless switching from TV or Airplay.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @JuliettEchoSierra. Thanks for the post.

I have taken a look at your diagnostic and I do have a couple follow-up questions:

I see you are using an Apple router, yet there are more than a few Sonos players hardwired. Where are they connected? If a switch, would you be able to provide me with the make/model? 

Please include the make and model of all router, extenders, and switches that you are currently operating.

Unintentional activation or grouping of players may indicate a network communication issue or rogue UPNP command. We would need some more information about your network before we would be able to effectively identify the issue.

@Adam S you’re spot on that there is more going on :) I used to be all wireless, but I was having serious network interference issues, so I got creative and installed some Powerlines. The blow setup has been rock solid for about two years (until this issue popped up).

Hallway and BOOST are wired into the router.

SONOS, Bedroom and Living room are connect through a PLP2000

Closet is wireless

I recall reading that there could be some issues with SONOS and Powerlines, but I haven’t had any issues until now. Hopefully it isn’t just chalked up to them.

Potentially related or unrelated...

I’ve noticed my right speaker on SONOS has been going silent and the only way to get it going again is a restart. Alexa works on it fine even when it’s not playing music, so I don’t think it’s a connectivity issue. Seems input agnostic too.

Diagnostic #893033471

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Multicasting, UPNP, and DNS communication issues can describe a lot of these symptoms you are currently experiencing.

I would like you to make sure that the network devices have the proper configuration settings outlined on our website first.

It may also be useful to make sure the system requirements are being met currently. 

Updating the system does not change how the players connect but it does reboot them. I wonder if the static IPs are also having issues re-leasing?

The next step I would take if everything else looks fine is to have only one Sonos unit connected to the router and bypass extra layers within the network to assess if the issues are still present. That would let us know if the problem it topology related.

I’ve done a couple or troubleshooting steps that should hopefully narrow things down… Things seems to work fine other than the ungrouping when the TV input starts up.

1. Remove static IPs and reboot - no luck. Keeps ungrouping
  2. Remove all Powerline adaptors and switch to SonosNet - no luck. Keeps ungrouping
  3. Buy a new router (Netgear AX120) - no luck. Keeps ungrouping
  4. As you can see with the new router I’m serious about figuring this out :)

Most recent diagnostic: 859271341

I’ve looked at the configuration settings link you shared and can’t seem to find anything on my router the matches up with STP. Thoughts? I’ve attached an image of what my router says about UPNP. I meet all system requirements now that I’ve removed PowerLine and installed this new router.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for all the additional troubleshooting steps. 

I would say that moving forward, it may be best to give us a call for live troubleshooting.

Our agents on the phone will have additional tools that may suite the nature of this issue better.

If this is agreeable to you, I would be happy to create a ticket for this thread as a reference and DM you the case number.