Question

Surround setup using AMP and PLAYBAR

• 8 September 2015
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I am having issues setting up my AMP and ceiling speakers as surrounds with my PLAYBAR. I am unable to directly wire my router via Ethernet to the PLAYBAR so I am using a Netgear Powerline AV200 (http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/xavb1301.aspx). I was able to set everything up using the instructions found in the FAQ. I am showing in the controller that everything is setup right but I am getting no sound from the ceiling rears. The only thing I can think of is the Netgear Powerline connection is not feasible for a direct connection to my router. Can anyone confirm that the way I have this system connected to my router is feasible? Any other reasons why I am not getting sound from the rears?

Thanks
Robert

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You have the Connect:Amp wired to the router as well right? That's the important bit. If it's easier you can just wire the c:a directly to the Playbar, that's what matters.
Yes I believe so. I have an Ethernet cable running from the NetGear Powerline Adpater to the PLAYBAR and then another Ethernet cable running from the PLAYBAR to the AMP. I am wondering if the NetGear solution I am using is not a good enough connection method. The instructions note that the Ethernet cable needs to be connected directly to the router but given my home configuration I can not connect directly to my router hence the NetGear powerline adapter.
Have you proven that the powerline is actually working (ie plug a laptop or something into it and see if you can get online)?
That's a really good thought. I just assumed it was working because it allowed me to go through the setup. I will check this out tonight when I get home by plugging in a laptop to test the powerline is working properly. Ill report back...thank you The LHC!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

I am having issues setting up my AMP and ceiling speakers as surrounds with my PLAYBAR. I am unable to directly wire my router via Ethernet to the PLAYBAR so I am using a Netgear Powerline AV200 (http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/xavb1301.aspx). I was able to set everything up using the instructions found in the FAQ. I am showing in the controller that everything is setup right but I am getting no sound from the ceiling rears. The only thing I can think of is the Netgear Powerline connection is not feasible for a direct connection to my router. Can anyone confirm that the way I have this system connected to my router is feasible? Any other reasons why I am not getting sound from the rears?

Hi Rdicola,

Powerline adapters are not generally recommended as they don't always provide a stable enough connection for Sonos components. Many folks do use them with their Sonos system though. Often times rebooting the powerline adapters helps resolve issues, though you may need to do so more frequently than is optimal.

To use your CONNECT:AMP to power surround speakers you can also wire the CONNECT:AMP directly to the PLAYBAR. This may be easier then wiring the PLAYBAR to the router.

I've moved this discussion into the troubleshooting area so that other users in the community can help out.

Thanks
Robert
Hi,

I'm having a similar problem with Powerline adapters - the rear speakers are temperamental. Using a direct Ethernet connection solves the issue but means I have an Ethernet cable trailing though my house.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a compatible set of powerline adapters? Rdicola did you have any success in the end?

Thanks,

Adam