Question

Surround Play 1's Cutting Out

• 18 September 2016
  • 13 replies

Badge
I have a PlayBar, Sub & 2 Surround Play 1's. While watching Sky & Netflix my back play 1's cut out occasionally for 10 seconds or so and can't work out why. My wireless is on a different channel to my router. I have uploaded diagnostics.. Number is 6558087.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Badge
I have the Playbar wired directly to the router currently and my TV is a Samsung KS8000
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a PlayBar, Sub & 2 Surround Play 1's. While watching Sky & Netflix my back play 1's cut out occasionally for 10 seconds or so and can't work out why. My wireless is on a different channel to my router. I have uploaded diagnostics.. Number is 6558087.

Hi Clueless24,

There are wireless communication errors between your PLAYBAR and rear speakers. This is probably why you're getting the audio cut outs on your rears. Please check around and in between your Sonos speakers for any third party wireless device which could be causing interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phones (especially DECT phones), wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, wireless printers and third party wireless speakers. If any similar device is near your Sonos units, try moving it away or power it off temporarily and see if things improve.
Badge
Hi,

The only 2 wireless devices i have in my flat are my laptop and iphone. The rest is wired direct to my router. Are my speakers running on 2.4 or 5ghz? I'm not sure whether it may be interference with other flats nearby though
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

The only 2 wireless devices i have in my flat are my laptop and iphone. The rest is wired direct to my router. Are my speakers running on 2.4 or 5ghz? I'm not sure whether it may be interference with other flats nearby though

The surround speakers use 5 ghz signals to communicate with your PLAYBAR. Take a look around those speakers and in between them and your PLAYBAR for anything that might restrict the signal. If you can't find anything let me know and I'll create a support ticket for you then get you in touch with our phone team.
Badge
Hi,

There is only 2 other wireless devices in my room which is my laptop and phone the rest are all wired direct to the router. The speakers are also only about 3m from the router and there is only my sofa between them so can't really see whats causing the problems.

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Scan your wifi and choose a channel all themothers don't use.
I live in a flat and can see 14 other routers. Until I bought a quality router I was plagued by interference from other sources.
Dect phones, microwaves etc can severley interfere with the signal.

Can you hardwire the playbar to your router?
Do the Play 1 still cut out when you move them elsewhere?
Badge
Yeah i live in a flat and theres a load of other routers too. I did buy my router though its a TP Link Touch P5 and wasn't cheap!
My playbar is hard wired i don't have problems with that just the Play 1's
Badge +1
Yeah i live in a flat and theres a load of other routers too. I did buy my router though its a TP Link Touch P5 and wasn't cheap!
My playbar is hard wired i don't have problems with that just the Play 1's

The wireless interference we see in the diagnostics could definitely be causing this issue but I also noticed you're using a Samsung K series TV which we've seen to have similar issues. To help determine if wireless interference is the issue or it has something to do with the TV, can you try wiring the PLAYBAR directly to a set-top box or DVD player that has an optical output? If you continue to have dropouts, please send over another diagnostic so I can check it out.
Badge
Have had it plugged in to a set top box and still get the occasional drop out. Diagnostic is 6746904
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It is beginning to become harder to accept Sonos's it's the box/tv that causes the dropouts. That many other devices suffer the same problem then that would indicate, possibly, that there is something in the audio stream that is causing these effects that Sonos needs to sort out.
I get drop outs ONLY on live TV, from a Sky box and TV, and not from recordings/blu ray. Maybe the recording programme info etc that is included in the signal is disrupting the Sonos algorithm? Recorded programmes strip this info out of their data stream and blu ray doesn't have them.

Until Sonos categorically state the playbar is NOT responsible...
Badge
Also getting it on my Xbox One too. Submitted 6761182
Badge
Tested on iPhone same problem. 6774957. The playbar is directly wired and seems OK its just the back play 3's.. They are only a couple of metres from the playbar and router though..
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Tested on iPhone same problem. 6774957. The playbar is directly wired and seems OK its just the back play 3's.. They are only a couple of metres from the playbar and router though..

Hi Clueless24,

It looks like your PLAY:3s are using their 2.4 ghz antennas instead of the 5 ghz antennas they are supposed to use while in a surround setup. To get this sorted out, it would be best to work with our phone team. Please give us a call and reference case number: 161122-001976. Our phone number and hours in your region can be found here.