Answered

surround not working with tv

• 5 June 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi there , I have a lg75um7600plb connected to a playbar and 2 play ones , they all work fine with spotify but the surround dont work with tv , the playbar works fine though .

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 5 June 2021, 18:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

For any music (not TV audio) playback, goto "Settings/System/[Playbar Room Name]” in the Sonos App, then goto ‘Surround Audio” and switch ‘Music Playback’ from ‘Ambient’ to ‘Full’ and perhaps see if that resolves your issue.

Oh just ignore my last post, I misread your post (sorry)… for TV surround audio, ensure your TV Settings are outputting its sound using Dolby Digital 5.1 (do not select PCM stereo, nor DTS, nor Dolby Digital Plus) …and then try playing a 5.1 Movie from either Netflix, Prime Movies, or other similar source.

Badge

I done that from the start mate   it's working on sky and that just not Disney plus , maybe that doesn't support surround? My sky tv works fine , haven't tried Netflix,  Amazon  prime or my xbox , since the Disney plus app on sky doesn't work will the rest of the apps be the same ? 

If the playing App supports DD 5.1 audio, then it normally will state that on screen somewhere in the App - it can and does vary by the originating device on which the App is installed, or in some cases it can sometimes be the TV not being able to pass that type of surround audio through its ports and so the audio auto-downgrades to PCM stereo. I don’t think the latter applies here in your case if you are getting surround sound from Sky TV… It sounds more like the issue is the Disney App itself.

Badge

Yeah sky tv is fine and I'm not really bothered about Disney it's for the kids anyway , I was just curious why no sound was coming from the 2 play ones all I get from them in music that's on a show (family guy for instance) once the music stops and they start talking the sound disappears. 

You can see the type of audio input to the PlayBar in two areas of the Sonos App - (1) It shows on the ‘Now Playing’ Screen when the Playbar room is in focus ..or.. (2) Goto ‘Settings/System/About My System” and scroll to the Playbar room in the list and look at the audio type next to ‘Audio In:’

Since the Disney plus app on sky doesn't work will the rest of the apps be the same ? 

No not necessarily …and sometimes an App update can switch things so that it then supports surround sound. My LG TV had AppleTV+, Prime and Netflix. The AppleTV+ App was initially stereo only and the other two had Surround Sound, but an update from Apple fixed it. So now I get DD 5.1 from all three via my Beam.