Suggestions for USB drive access with Xfi router

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 127 replies
I recently moved and due to some issues with lack of cabling in my temporary home I had to switch to wireless set top boxes for my TV with Xfinity. That means I have to use their modem/router, which means I've lost the ability to use my own router including the USB drive support.

My entire music library sits on an external USB drive I had connected to my router. It's been that way and worked great for several years since I switched from a more cumbersome, clunky, and noisy D-link NAS.

So I'm looking for solutions now for continuing using the USB drive and not coming up with anything. Other than buying a new NAS device, I'm stumped so asking here fir suggestions and ideas. Thanks.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Grab a Raspberry Pi, a version 3b or 3b+ would be best, the new Pi 4 runs hotter and has some v1 problems you could do without. A place like Canakit or many others will sell you a kit with all you need or buy just the stuff you need (PI, SD card, Power supply) and build your own NAS. Amazon makes either route easy.

My Howto: https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/650.html
If you don't want to mess around with Pi etc just get a small travel router with a USB port. Configure it as a wired-only client and it will serve files off the USB drive. Access speeds probably won't be great, especially for write operations, but for music playback it should be more than adequate.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
If you don't want to mess around with Pi etc just get a small travel router with a USB port. Configure it as a wired-only client and it will serve files off the USB drive. Access speeds probably won't be great, especially for write operations, but for music playback it should be more than adequate.

Thanks for the replies. This sounds like an easy route and exactly what I am looking for. It's what I hoped to do with my Linksys router when configured as a bridge but no dice as noted. Not really too keen on going the Raspberry route, especially as this is a temporary fix.

My only question is how do I avoid the same problem on a different router i.e. not having the USB port accessible if the router isn't acting as router? Is there something in particular I need to look for?
This is the first mention of a Linksys configured as a bridge. Which model is it? Does it have a USB port? It probably wouldn't be ideal if the USB was hanging on the end of a wireless link but it might work.

Alternatively, as I say, a travel router such as a TP-Link or a HooToo, configured as a wired client and connected to the main router, could do the job. I've used a small TP-Link in the past to share a USB stick onto the network.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I didn't mention the linksys because it didn't work as I'd hoped. It's an EA8500 router that I tried as bridge and access point but neither of those modes provide support for the USB drive. I don't know if there are any routers that do but my linksys doesn't.

I could dig out my old NAS, which I may have to do in the end but was hoping for an alternative solution to allow me to continue using the drive where I have all my music stored now. The travel router as wired client sounds like a good option just wondering about "gotchas" and also wondering if any other routers support use of USB drives in bridge or client mode, etc. Doesn't seem an y easy feature to research.
Can't you leave the EA8500 in router mode, disabling its DHCP server (and WiFi if you want) and wiring it via a LAN port? You'll probably have to fiddle with its internal IP address.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Tried a couple different things with the Linksys router but it doesn't seem to work regardless. It connects and gets an IP address but cannot be accessed or pinged via that address and doesn't show up as an available device in windows so no luck trying to access the attached drive. So I might try a tp link travel router with USB support but wondering/concerned that the same issue will exist, i.e. the USB drive won't be accessible in client mode.
I have a TL-WR810N which works fine, but I believe is now discontinued. The software is probably common across similar TP-Link units.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Excellent, I shall give the TL-WR902AC a try then, thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
So the tplink arrived today, @ratty is there anything in particular I need to know about setting it up for this before I get started? Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Well no dice thus far with the tp-link. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I cannot access the drive. I have the tp-link set to client mode, my USB drive connected, and have enabled both storage share and media server. I can see the listing now under Media Devices on the Network panel on my laptop but cannot actually get to any content, map to it or get Sonos to connect to it. Any ideas?

edit: Success!!! It was not through a particularly disciplined troubleshooting process so I'm not sure exactly what step or steps ultimately got it working but working it is! So, thanks again to @ratty for the suggestion!