Sub won't turn on

Hi. Haven't used my sub in a few weeks. I turned it in today and the light didn't come on. I unplugged it from the outlet, connected it back and it still doesn't work. I'm very very careful with my things and I don't use the amp or haven't used the amp in a loud manner.

Please help!! Can someone tell me why the light doesn't turn on or work ??

Eddie

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Are you sure you haven't set the white light option to off for the Sub (I think that's an option).

Failing that I'd give Sonos a call
Yes, that is an option, but the light should flash white even so in start up mode. Of course, the controller will also tell you the Sub status after 5 minutes, if it has booted up. Also, make sure there isn't anything wrong with the mains power point in question by trying something else there. If all things are ruled out, Sonos Support is the remaining course of action.
Are you sure you haven't set the white light option to off for the Sub (I think that's an option).

Failing that I'd give Sonos a call

No I set it to on. I like seeing the white like there.

But still no light after I connect.
Yes, that is an option, but the light should flash white even so in start up mode. Of course, the controller will also tell you the Sub status after 5 minutes, if it has booted up. Also, make sure there isn't anything wrong with the mains power point in question by trying something else there. If all things are ruled out, Sonos Support is the remaining course of action.

Yea. I was thinking maybe it's the cord. But I don't understand it's practically new I haven't used it that long.

I hope I can get this fixed I would hate to fork out another 700. :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If it's practically new Sonos will sort it out with no cost to you. Give them a call. Do NOT fiddle with the Sub
Hello eatrevinogarza. If you're not seeing a light on the SUB, it's not getting power, Whether it's due to the power outlet, power supply, or the SUB itself remains to be seen. At this point, have you tried a different power outlet? Alternately, if you have another power cord available, you can try to swap that out and see if any lights come on. Beyond these steps, as mentioned above, give our support line a call to troubleshoot further.
The same thing happened to me. I retuned home from a 5 day trip and found my sub unable to turn on. No light, nothing. I wrote Sonos and they offered me a new Sub for $534.00. Why would I spend more money on a new Sub knowingly it won't last more than 5 years. I asked if they can repair and was told they do not have a repair center. Wow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos do repair units. If you accept the option they offer then you will return the sub. They just don’t have a public repair facility.

Can you explain to me why I was not given the repair option?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you explain to me why I was not given the repair option?

Hi Stephen510,

I removed your duplicate posts, no need to spam. The repair option is the same as you were offered. It's a return and replacement service where you get a replacement for a reduced cost and send your old unit back to us. We do not have an in-home repair service, but do try to repair returned units into refurbished ones.
I am not asking for a in-home repair service. I don't understand why you can't try and repair mine. What if it is simply a blown fuse? Then you'll sell mine again after I paid for a new one? That does not seem right.
My Sonos Sub also stopped turning on after 5 years. Sonos staff asked if I wanted to send in the old one and buy a refurbished one for 30% off RPP. What poor customer service and poor workmanship. A $1k unit lasted only 5 years. Not value for money.

I would not have invested in the Sonos system if I knew they only have a lifespan of 2-5 years...
Badge +1
Before you send it back

Leave it unplugged over night
Put in a Network cable and connect to your Lan
Turn on the Sub

We did that and it worked again

Wow - I've had good luck with sonos until now.  I have more than $4k worth of speakers.  Premium price for premium product.  Now  my 5 year old sub is also dead.  30% off a replacement is a profit center for sonos - not a route toward customer satisfaction.    If that's the final answer we will see you on social media and every other place where I can loudly complain and highlight the poor product quality and customer service.

I too have had good service from my sonos systems. I have speakers purchased new in 2017 and some 2nd hand items i have added.

My 2nd hand sub stopped working , so i carried out the basic checks.. My sonos controller just showed a “?” where the sub should be with one speaker set. Sub appeared dead plugging into a different ac socket didn’t help, and no led showing on speaker.

After reading this post group, i decided to see what these have inside them, once locating the screws to remove rear face-plate and internal baffle, was pleasantly surprised to find good quality drivers (speakers) and fiber-glass circuit boards with well laid out components.

I checked the integrity of connectors and one was loose,running between the PSU / amplifier and the wifi/control boards.I also checked the supply input /smps components and fuse all ok.

This 2012 sub is now running again, not sure if removing from mains supply for 30 mins, or reconnecting a loose internal plug connector had anything to do with it or not.

Overall, internally uses clever design and careful attention to detail using quality components. This 2012 build has been continuously connected to mains supply whilst i and the previous owner have been using it.

These are more than just an active sub, pity about lack of service support. Cheers Rob.

I checked the integrity of connectors and one was loose,running between the PSU / amplifier and the wifi/control boards.I also checked the supply input /smps components and fuse all ok.

This 2012 sub is now running again, not sure if removing from mains supply for 30 mins, or reconnecting a loose internal plug connector had anything to do with it or not.

That’s a lost art, well done! I too have a Sub along with other Sonos kit that is all over five years old now and running flawlessly. But there isn't much to be done if any fails, so I suppose doing what you did is a good idea if the failed product out of warranty.

Would such attempts come in the way of subsequent trade ins/replacements, I wonder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Before opening a Sonos device call and talk to the support folks, they can sometimes get you a price break, even out of warranty. But once you opened something you are out i the cold.