Question

Sub won't connect

• 27 August 2015
  • 19 replies

I've spent hours on the phone with Tier 1 and Tier 2 engineers form Sonos tech support and do not have a resolution. I'll be disappointed to return the Sonos system, but it's useless to me without a subwoofer. I figured I'd give this board a shot in hopes that someone out there knows a fix. I connected the Play Bar no problem. But the sub will not connect. If I plug I directly into my wireless router it connects, but once I unplug it and go back to wifi, it won't pair. Sonos can find it, and when I push the button to connect it recieves the signal, but it WILL NOT pair with the play bar. Again, I've spent hours on the phone with tech support and they are at a loss, so any "easy" fixes probably aren't right. I need to think outside the box here!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Do you have any other SONOS speakers that you could try pairing the SUB with?

If so, see if the SUB pairs with that and then go to Settings > Room Settings > (name of room)+SUB > Remove SUB. Then tap 'Move to another room' and select the Playbar.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Sometimes, when moving a SUB to another room, i have to factory reset it and then attempt to pair it again.

Instructions

Unplug the power cord from the electrical wall outlet.

Press and hold the Connect button while simultaneously plugging the power cord back into the electrical wall outlet.

Continue holding the Connect button until the light begins flashing amber and white.

Once reset, the light will flash green, indicating the product has been reset and can be added back to your Sonos household.

The connect button being under/above the light.
Yeah the only way I can even get the sub added is by hard-wiring into the router. once it's off the router, it won't connect at all. Tech support has told me it's not the hardware on the sub... so don't know what it is.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Is/Are any of your other sonos devices hardwired?
no. I have a play3 and when that is hardwired the sub connects. as long as any device is hardwired it connects, but then once no devices are hardwired, it disappears. i don't plan on having any devices hardwired into the router, but I may have to put the play3 in there to get the sub to work if there are no other fixes but the whole point was to have a wireless sound system!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Plug your SUB into the router, pair it up and then head to Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup. Follow the instructions on screen and once you're finished, unplug the SUB and place it in the desired location.

That should work.
wow now it wont' even connect while plugged into the router! i'm a lost cause 😞
well I got it to connect via the router, did the wireless set up as you suggested. it said it was OK and to go ahead and unplug any devices from the router, i unplugged the sub from the router, and now it's gone. No sound coming out at all from it. appreciate you trying!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Give it about 5 minutes and try again.

If that still doesn't work then...

I really think that it's faulty despite what the tech support people say.

You could plug a BRIDGE or BOOST into the router as you've established that plugging any player in makes it work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As Josh said don't mess with it right away. After wifi setup unplug from router but give it like 10 minutes to adjust and reconnect.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I've spent hours on the phone with Tier 1 and Tier 2 engineers form Sonos tech support and do not have a resolution. I'll be disappointed to return the Sonos system, but it's useless to me without a subwoofer. I figured I'd give this board a shot in hopes that someone out there knows a fix. I connected the Play Bar no problem. But the sub will not connect. If I plug I directly into my wireless router it connects, but once I unplug it and go back to wifi, it won't pair. Sonos can find it, and when I push the button to connect it recieves the signal, but it WILL NOT pair with the play bar. Again, I've spent hours on the phone with tech support and they are at a loss, so any "easy" fixes probably aren't right. I need to think outside the box here!

Would like to get another pair of eyes on your system if you don't mind sending a diagnostic and replying here with the confirmation number? Here's how: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142.
Confirmation number: 4855158
rickyt,

Which model router are you using?
hey buzz. using a pace 5031NV.

FYI all: I went to best buy and a guy there told me to try adding a boost as Josh above also suggested and it worked. So now i'm up to $1500 on this system, but at least I have bass now.
rickyt,

WiFi was never conceived as a technology to be used for streaming audio and video. This is why SONOS developed SonosNet technology and the original release of the product used only SonosNet. Unfortunately, ill informed equipment reviewers, competitors, and sales personnel turned this into a negative: "Can't use WiFi" (implying that WiFi is the only or best 'wireless' technology) or "Needs a complicated connection" (BRIDGE or BOOST). All of the old timers know that the opposite is the case. SonosNet is much easier to setup and is more robust than WiFi. Hard core network types don't usually like SonosNet because ... er ... there is nothing to configure. WiFi can work for very, very simple setups, perhaps a PLAY:1 or so, but as you have found, WiFi bumps into a wall as system complexity rises. Competing WiFi only systems specify a limit of six to ten units. SONOS specifies a limit of 32.
I know it's quite late, but I had the same problem. I'd like to share the way I solved the issue.

System: Playbar + Sub.
Problem: Playbar works fine wireless. No way to add sub wireless.
Solution:
1. set up with the Sonos app the system wired. Both playbar and sub work fine with LAN cables connected to the router.
2. go to setup of your router to setup a static IP address
2.1 find the MAC address of your Playbar and Sub
2.2 set the current IP (set automatically via DHCP during configuration at point 1.) as a static one for both devices
3. go to back to your sonos app
4. settting -> advanced setting -> wireless setup and setup your wireless
6. unplug your LAN cables
7. everything is now working (for me)

Point 2 depend on your router. I have an Asus and it was pretty straightforward to set up the static address.

Hope it will be useful for someone.
This worked for me
I have a playbar only which is connected to network by Ethernet. Tried adding sub Couldn't find it. Went to settings added wireless network, still couldn't find it.
Did what KMJY suggested - plugged sub into router with Ethernet cable (via switch / hub) added sub with sonos app-> select room-> add sub. Found it and worked straight away.
while playing removed Ethernet cable after brief pause kick in on wireless - All great now Many thanks KMJY
My sub wouldnt connect either. I confirmed the windows firewall settings were correct (info on this is available on sonos support page), did the factory reset several times, nothing. it would see the sub, but would fail on the connect portion of the setup. What worked for me was this: I unplugged all other players except for one. My router is an ASUS and it has mulitple wifi networks. Once I changed the wifi network my phone was connected to, it worked. I configured the sub, then one by one plugged in all of the other players. Everything worked as advertised. If this is a network or IP issue, sonos should make is simpler to diagnose. Hope this helps someone as I wasted 2 hours trying to set up a sub that is advertised as a one click set up.
Badge
Same problem here, starting 3/4 days ago. Everything worked fine before. The first time it suggested me a boost but I plugged sub into a wi-fi repeater and the sub started to work. 5 minutes later unplugged and everything was fine, anyway. Today nothing to do: playbar is ok, in 2.4 GHz network but the sub...switched on, find, add but...no sound! Somethimes it told me "out of range" (iPhone 😵 other times correctly added (iPhone 8+) but...no sounds at all!
Thanx everybody.