Answered

Sub sounds better (deeper) through TV than Sonos App, or airplay

• 27 January 2022
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

I got a new Sonos system (arc + sub + 2x one sl)

Got everything setup and was disappointed with the sub sound… until I heard the sounds from TV movies and music via Apple TV (routed through TV). TV output is the old arc, DTS 5.1.

Comparing the same songs: the bass is so much deeper and present thought TV dan from the sonos app, or airplay. I tried al lot (enabling/disabling trueplay, playing with IQ, sub placement, ambient/full setting etc…) Nothing changes the massive difference. Via the app, I have to do my best to hear the difference between sub on or off. Does anybody have an idea what I am doing wrong? Or what might help… thnx

icon

Best answer by jgatie 27 January 2022, 23:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

What music streaming services are you using on the Sonos app?

Both Spotify and Apple Music have the same problem. 

Most music does not hit the same high levels and low frequencies as movie or TV special effects.  A bass guitar's lowest note is 41.2 Hz, a bass drum about 60 Hz.  F/X can reach 20 Hz and below, to the point where you feel the note rather than hear it.

I test it with music trom my Apple TV, also Spotify and Apple Music. The songs sound better from the Apple TV than from the sonos app. The point about the movie is that I can conform that the sub is more than capable (not defect)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The songs sound better from the Apple TV than from the sonos app.

The app is just a controller, not a music source. Have you tried streaming music to your system, from Amazon etc or a radio station? Are you surrounds set to “Full” rather than Ambient for music play?

Also, ‘through the TV’ implies the possibility of a more complex signal type, such as either Dolby Digital, or Dolby Atmos, both of which have a disparate LFE signal that is sent to the Sub.  Playing a standard stereo signal, streaming to the speakers directly, suggests a stereo signal, which relies on a standard cutoff frequency for sending data to the sub. A stereo signal does not have a dedicated LFE channel.