Answered

Sub Not Connecting

• 20 November 2018
  • 3 replies

I am trying to connect a Sonos Sub into my system (have two playbar's and a play5). I want this sub to connect to one of the playbars. I am getting "Not Connected: Your Sonos product was not found. If your product is a long way from your router, you may need to try moving it closer"

Currently, the sub is about 2 feet from the router. No other wifi issues in the house. I have also attempted to plug it in directly to the router via ethernet. Updated the Sonos software. Cycled the power on all my Sonos products. Get the same error regardless.

Any help would be great. Thanks!
icon

Best answer by pleatedpants 25 November 2018, 00:08

Love the user name, first off. No idea why :)

I keep saying that I will come back into style someday! :)

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. I kept tinkering around and finally figured it out. My new-ish Asus router has a known issue with Sonos connections.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/asus-router-issues-with-sonos-6793561

If anyone is buying new Sonos stuff and as recently got a new router, you might look into issues specific to it. I followed the simple instruction in the linked thread, and it fixed everything.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

So, I'm assuming that you're attempting to add it to one of the PLAYBARs. In this case, the SUB is actually attempting to bond directly to the PLAYBAR, and not actually getting a signal from your router at all. Have you tried an ethernet cable from the PLAYBAR directly to the SUB?

How close is it to the PLAYBAR? Since the "bonding" process moves the connection from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz, it does need to be a bit more close than a normal speaker is, although I'd think 10 or 15 feet in a unobstructed room would be fine. Mine's about 10 feet, and under the couch, from my PLAYBAR. It's also possible that there's some 5Ghz interference causing it to not to connect. Take a look around both the PLAYBAR and the SUB, and make sure there's no device that might be causing any interference. In fact, you may want to read this: wifi interference FAQ

If none of that helps, I'd try to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of trying the setup process, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Too close to the router could also be an issue, give it 3 or 4 feet distance and see if that helps.

I keep saying that I will come back into style someday! :)

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. I kept tinkering around and finally figured it out. My new-ish Asus router has a known issue with Sonos connections.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/asus-router-issues-with-sonos-6793561

If anyone is buying new Sonos stuff and as recently got a new router, you might look into issues specific to it. I followed the simple instruction in the linked thread, and it fixed everything.