Answered

Sub keeps disconnecting from Arc (resulting in "?" in the app)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have added a new Arc and Sub to my system. The Arc is working fine (like the Playbar before it), but the Sub keeps disconnecting - in the app I then see “Arc +?”.

The Sub is about 1 m from the Arc and around 5 m from the access point. I cannot imagine that the WiFi signal might be too weak, so I have no idea why the Sub keeps disconnecting.

When the Sub is disconnected, sometimes the app asks me if I want to add the sub to the WiFi network, but this usually doesn’t work. The only thing that helps is either rebooting the access point, or unplugging the Sub. Unfortunately, the disconnect happens every 1-2 days, so this is not a solution.

What can I do?

Diagnostics: 1923053313

Many thanks in advance!

Markus

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 May 2021, 21:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

I’ve been having the same issue for the last four or five months.  Constant disconnects w/ the ? in the app next to my surround speakers.  This all requires me to remove my sub from the “room”, unplug my Beam and restart it, then add back the sub.  It’s absolutely ridiculous.  It worked for 2 years, nothing in my house changed at all...yet here we are.  So frustrated and there isn’t a fix in site in all of my research.  

I’ve been having the same issue for the last four or five months.  Constant disconnects w/ the ? in the app next to my surround speakers.  This all requires me to remove my sub from the “room”, unplug my Beam and restart it, then add back the sub.  It’s absolutely ridiculous.  It worked for 2 years, nothing in my house changed at all...yet here we are.  So frustrated and there isn’t a fix in site in all of my research.  

Have you tried moving the sub closer to the Beam (if your room allows - even just as a temporary measure) and/or perhaps powering the Beam off for a few minutes and back on again to see if that may resolve the issue?

Have you tried moving the sub closer to the Beam (if your room allows - even just as a temporary measure) and/or perhaps powering the Beam off for a few minutes and back on again to see if that may resolve the issue?

It’s literally 4 feet away - and the light just starts flashing on the back if I power it off and back on again.  I have to fully go through the pair process each time w/ the Sub.

Falukkevv,

Which versions of SUB(s) are you using? 

It’s literally 4 feet away - and the light just starts flashing on the back if I power it off and back on again.  I have to fully go through the pair process each time w/ the Sub.

Obviously the Sub connects directly to the Beam itself using an ad-hoc 5GHz wireless connection, so powering off/on the Beam is always a worthwhile option and perhaps just check nothing else is around the Beam/Sub that is likely to cause any wireless interference - it’s always good to have the products a metre away from other wireless devices (where practicable) and not have any wireless access points near to them, maybe even consider putting other nearby devices on the 2.4Ghz band if you think that may reduce interference.

The Beam itself needs a good 2.4Ghz connection, or wired connection, back to the router too, so if running the Beam on WiFi, I would suggest using a non-overlapping WiFi channel such as ch.1, 6 or 11 on the router, and if the router allows, also set the 2.4Ghz band to use a channel-width of 20MHz only and see if that then improves things for you.

Falukkevv,

Which versions of SUB(s) are you using? 

I have a gen 1 with arc and gen 2 with the beam. I am super frustrated as this didn’t start until 4-5 months ago and none of my speakers have issues but the soundbar and subs. What I find even more odd is mine always fail together both subs never one or other. Also they are on different WiFi access points. Everything in my house WiFi works fine just the two soundbar and subs have to this issue.  As matter of fact average WiFi connection in my house for 2.4 and for 5ghz is mid upper 90’s % range per my WiFi vendor app. 

if I had other issues I would agree it was network or WiFi related but I don’t think that is case. Sonos needs to read boards and help us with diag or log from speaker as there is something I believe showed up 5 months give or take with an update. Before that both worked like a champ. 

Also they are on different WiFi access points. Everything in my house WiFi works fine just the two soundbar and subs have to this issue.  

I think your comment that I have highlighted above, is the ‘likely’ reason you are having these issues, as Sonos uses SSDP to initially discover the players, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. Communication is then unicast and if you have multiple access points that are perhaps on different auto-selected channels - then it’s quite possible the communication is dropping out to the main HT players and causing issues with the surrounds and sub… maybe put all to run on your router WiFi, or SonosNet, instead …and switch off the other access points (even temporarily) to see if that resolves your issues.

I have the same issue was fine for about 10 months. Issue started thought it was my wifi. I have the fastest wifi with Verizon. I have 2 extenders. No other device in my house disconnects. Only the Sonos subwoofer. I am very frustrated. I have an arc 2 ones and a subwoofer. I have the same system 2 places and sub is the problem in both spots.

As has been repeatedly stated in many threads, some mesh networks/extenders do odd things to the network, so that Sonos can have issues. In most cases, wiring a single Sonos device to the base network device, and not an extender, should resolve the issue, by putting the Sonos devices on their own ‘network’. If you’re continuing to have issues, likely calling in to Sonos with a diagnostic would certainly be an intelligent move. 

Having the same problem. In the Sonos app, I went to system, networks, manage networks and removed my old network SSID. That seems to have worked temporarily at least. Not sure how long it will last. 

Same issue here with the +?, connected to a beam, the beam never skips a beat.  This started about 4 months ago after an update. I'm sure its a bug, my network is rock steady, no changes to its placement or new devices in my house, its 15 feet from my router with only a couch in between as it always has been. It connected flawlessly since new and all of a sudden it hides itself from the beam a week of working... Only way i can get it back online is doing a factory reset and re-pairing it. This is a stupid slow and cumbersome process. I normally just leave it unconnected for weeks at a time because it's such a hassle. I have tried every suggestion in this thread and the issue continues.

Sonos you need to adress this issue.

Not all influences that cause wifi interference come from inside your network, or even within your home.