Answered

Sub Cutting Out

• 1 February 2018
  • 45 replies

My sub keeps cutting out for 10 seconds or so at a time, roughly every 20 minutes or so. I reset my router and it didn't seem to have any positive affect. I've had the sub for roughly 2 weeks but have only noticed this issue for the past several days. Any suggestions?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 19 March 2018, 20:17

ThomasClausen: Thanks for the diagnostic report. I am unable to see the SUB at all in the report. What color is the LED on the SUB? Is it possible to directly wire the SUB to your router using an Ethernet cable?

kddevlin Understood. Is it possible to plug one of your Sonos devices into the router? If so, please plug in one of your Sonos players into the main routing unit using an Ethernet cable and test for dropouts. This will change how Sonos data is routed to the players and should give you a more stable and robust network. Keep in mind, you normally want to keep Sonos devices about 1-2m from any Orbi devices, as they broadcast wireless and can cause some undue stress on the Sonos system as a whole. Thanks!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, murrayjp. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Would you mind submitting a diagnostic report and replying with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end? This will give us some insight into the wireless environment and how Sonos data is being moved along the network.

Thanks!
Hi There i have the same problem and i hope u can fix it cause i hare it when i buy a premium sound product: 8447051
Hate*
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Straaal. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Based on the diagnostic report you submitted, it seems we will need to replace the PLAYBASE due to faulty internals. Please check your inbox for next steps. Thanks again!
Same problem here with Sub cutting out constantly 1754587780
I too have this problem. My sub cuts out all the time for 10 to 30 seconds. Any guidance would be appreciated. 735137889
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
kddevlin: Based on the diagnostic report, it seems your system is losing connection to the network. Do you happen to have any extenders or access points on your network? Thanks in advance.

bvaughn7: The diagnostic report you submitted is looking pretty clear of interference, could you tell us a little more about what you are experiencing? Does this happen only with TV audio? Was the diagnostic submitted immediately after a cut out from the SUB? Thanks!
Badge
I have the same issue, where my Sub keeps dropping out 😞 It's connected to my Playbar. And it happens both with regards to music and TV.

Diagnosis: 2120526600
Yes I have the Netgear Orbi system with one satellite unit
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
ThomasClausen: Thanks for the diagnostic report. I am unable to see the SUB at all in the report. What color is the LED on the SUB? Is it possible to directly wire the SUB to your router using an Ethernet cable?

kddevlin Understood. Is it possible to plug one of your Sonos devices into the router? If so, please plug in one of your Sonos players into the main routing unit using an Ethernet cable and test for dropouts. This will change how Sonos data is routed to the players and should give you a more stable and robust network. Keep in mind, you normally want to keep Sonos devices about 1-2m from any Orbi devices, as they broadcast wireless and can cause some undue stress on the Sonos system as a whole. Thanks!
Badge
Keith N]: It helped that I removed the sub from my setup, wired it to my route and added it again through the setup. Nice to have consistant bas again. Thanks.
Badge
Keith N]: I spoke too soon. I wired my sub up, and it worked, but only for a little while. It keeps jumping in and out. I did a new diagnostics report (1124802305).

The sub is wired up to my router, and paired with my playbar. Sometimes it's on and other times it's not. Today I heard a bunch of podcast this morning, and it changed all the time. The same happened when I watched TV this night. Don't know how long time back the report goes, but hopefully you can see the sub this time around.

Cheers
Thomas
Thomas,

I believe I’ve seen Sonos reps suggest something in the 10 to 15 minutes range on how far back the data goes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
ThomasClausen: Thanks for the diagnostic report. Interestingly enough the SUB doesn't appear on the diagnostic report at all. At this point, I'd recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. That way we can get a closer look at what is happening.

Thanks for your patience on this so far.

Airgetlam: Close! Diagnostic reports hold 20 minutes of history. 😛
Badge
Keith N:
Ahh, then that plays in, because I was doing the report hours later. I've done a new report for you: 275886334
- It starts off
- Then it's on for a little while
- Then it breaks out
- Then it's back on

Hope you can see something now. Otherwise I will be happy to call tech support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks for the fresh diagnostic report. The SUB appeared, however, the PLAYBAR is experiencing an enormous amount of physical electronic interference. In order to fully understand how this affects your SUB we have to take a look at the "flow" of the data. Since your SUB is wired in, the SUB acts as the main internet connection for Sonos. Because of this, it has to send the signal to the PLAYBAR and then back to the SUB. Should the PLAYBAR have any problems with interference or latency, it could certainly cause the SUB to drop out.

Could you describe the area immediately around the PLAYBAR? Specifically we are looking for as any large electronics that are closer than 6-8 inches from the PLAYBAR.

Thanks in advance.
Badge
Could you describe the area immediately around the PLAYBAR? Specifically we are looking for as any large electronics that are closer than 6-8 inches from the PLAYBAR.

Hi Keith, I have a television right behind the Playbar, a DVD 3-4 inches below and a Chromecast running as well. I did another diagnosis, where the only thing that is receiving power, is the Playbar: 1845777622 and it's still giving dropouts.

In this scenario, nothing electrical is on within several feet of the Playbar. The Playbar is only 10 feet apart from the Sub.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Understood. In the most recent diagnostic report, the SUB is missing again. At this point, I'd recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. Thanks for the troubleshooting effort so far.
Badge
I have the same problem. Only happens when playing music. Sub cuts out for a few seconds then back again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, Utah. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. based on my findings on the diagnostic report, it seems the PLAYBAR is dealing with a fluctuating noise floor. This means that it is having a hard time maintaining a solid connection to the SUB because of the immediate wireless surroundings of the player. Can you tell us a little more about the area around the PLAYBAR? Are there any devices that broadcast a wireless signal nearby? The more detailed the information the better we can assist.

Thanks in advance!
I have the same issue. Cutting it of and stop playing. Keeps happening all the time and getting really frustrated. SONOS bridge is just next to the router and connected both. Just done the diagnosis report 1099616378
Badge
Thanks for the Reply Keith. I have the wireless router (dual band AC wireless) right next to the Playbar. And the sub is in the corner of the room next to the couch and under a side table.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
chandani7: I'm not seeing the SUB at all in the diagnostic report. What color is the LED? Additionally, it is possible to submit another diagnostic report with the SUB online? Thanks!

Utah: The SUB looks to be alright in regards to physical electronic interference. The dual-band router, however, could certainly cause some problems with a fluctuating noise floor. If possible, move the router further from the PLAYBAR and test the audio again. Afterwards, please submit another diagnostic report and I'll be happy to compare results.
Badge
Thanks Keith!
I’ll try that today
Hi Keith just sent another report. 278214477