sub cutting out

My sub has recently started cutting out. Any tips or tricks to help fix

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Is it a Nuclear or Diesel sub?

When it cuts-out do all the sub-mariners suffocate or are they ok?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Joking aside please advise a bit more information.

What is it attached to - A Playbar or other Play type. Do you have it wired to a router or other Play unit.

Describe your set-up.

Either way you may well have duplicate IP issues in which case try switching Router and ALL Sonos units and ALL things attached to network - phones, tablets, Computer, NAS - Don't cheat - everything!

Then switch on router wait a few mins, then Bridge or Boost if you have them wait a few mins, then Sonos gear and then all other stuff connected to the network.

This may well sort you out and stop those poor lovely sailors getting wet.
I am experiencing a similar issue.

Issue: while playing audio via Playbar + Sub, the sub will cut-out for a second and then continue on.

How it's connected: both the playbar and sub are wired independently to a gigabit switch.

What I've tried: Removing and re-adding the sub. Factory resetting the sub. Plying audio from different sources.

Additional note: The sub and playbar are brand new, the playbar functions perfect while the sub has had this issue since unboxing.
I am having a similar issue. I have tried switching everything off and then starting the power up/connection process from the router onwards. No joy.

I have a Playbar and Sub in the Living room, 2 x Play 1 in the bedroom and 1 Play 1 in the bathroom.

The Playbar is cable connected. The other devices are connected wirelessly.

The issue is intermittent but fairly regular. I would estimate that the Sub cuts out for 30-60 seconds approximately every 20-30 minutes. It resumes playing without me doing anything.

Frustratingly annoying. Any advice on how to fix the problem?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I am experiencing a similar issue.

Issue: while playing audio via Playbar + Sub, the sub will cut-out for a second and then continue on.

How it's connected: both the playbar and sub are wired independently to a gigabit switch.

What I've tried: Removing and re-adding the sub. Factory resetting the sub. Plying audio from different sources.

Additional note: The sub and playbar are brand new, the playbar functions perfect while the sub has had this issue since unboxing.

Please send a system diagnostics right after this happens, and reply with the confirmation number: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I am having a similar issue. I have tried switching everything off and then starting the power up/connection process from the router onwards. No joy.

I have a Playbar and Sub in the Living room, 2 x Play 1 in the bedroom and 1 Play 1 in the bathroom.

The Playbar is cable connected. The other devices are connected wirelessly.

The issue is intermittent but fairly regular. I would estimate that the Sub cuts out for 30-60 seconds approximately every 20-30 minutes. It resumes playing without me doing anything.

Frustratingly annoying. Any advice on how to fix the problem?

TAW, could you please also send a system diagnostics right after this happens, and reply with the confirmation number: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142
[/quote] TAW, could you please also send a system diagnostics right after this happens, and reply with the confirmation number: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142 [/quote]

Diagnostics submitted. Confirmation number: 6462565
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
TAW, could you please also send a system diagnostics right after this happens, and reply with the confirmation number: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142 [/quote]

Diagnostics submitted. Confirmation number: 6462565[/quote]

Hi TAW,

There's some wireless interference showing up which could explain the issue. Try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using.
I've tried changing the wireless channel. No luck unfortunately.

I guess the wifi interference is likely out of my control. I live in a wifi-dense, city apartment building.

There are around 20 wifi signals from my neighbours. While most of those are 2.4 GHz, I have 2.4 and 5GHz.

Is the Sub using 2.4GHz? If so, then I'm not surprised if it is suffering from wifi interference.

Are there any plans for future utilisation of the 5GHz band for Sonos components. (other than surround sound).?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've tried changing the wireless channel. No luck unfortunately.

I guess the wifi interference is likely out of my control. I live in a wifi-dense, city apartment building.

There are around 20 wifi signals from my neighbours. While most of those are 2.4 GHz, I have 2.4 and 5GHz.

Is the Sub using 2.4GHz? If so, then I'm not surprised if it is suffering from wifi interference.

Are there any plans for future utilisation of the 5GHz band for Sonos components. (other than surround sound).?

The SUB uses a 5 ghz antenna when paired with a PLAYBAR. There is 2.4 ghz interference showing up in your diagnostic report but if changing the wireless channel didn't help, it would be best to continue troubleshooting over the phone. Please give us a call and reference case number: 160906-000919. You can find our phone number here.
Thanks I will give you a call
Badge
Here's my confirmation number. Same issue - 6923860.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Here's my confirmation number. Same issue - 6923860.

Hi xolubi,

There are a few wireless networks nearby on the same wireless channel as yours. This is causing some communication errors. Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 6 or 11 and see if things improve.
Hi! I have the same issue. I live in an urban environment so finding a clear channel will be difficult, however, I used a Wifi Analyzer app and changed the SonosNet channel to one that appeared less crowded and the issue still occurs. Diagnostics submitted - 7186929. In case not provided in the diagnostics report, I am running a BRIDGE, PLAY:5, PLAY:3, PLAYBAR + SUB. Please advise. Thanks in advance!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi! I have the same issue. I live in an urban environment so finding a clear channel will be difficult, however, I used a Wifi Analyzer app and changed the SonosNet channel to one that appeared less crowded and the issue still occurs. Diagnostics submitted - 7186929. In case not provided in the diagnostics report, I am running a BRIDGE, PLAY:5, PLAY:3, PLAYBAR + SUB. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Hi EDgeofNJ,

There's 5 ghz wireless interference causing communication errors between your PLAYBAR and SUB. In this setup, the SUB doesn't use the same 2.4 ghz wireless that the rest of the Sonos system uses. Please look around your PLAYBAR and SUB for any electronics which could be using a 5 ghz signal. Commons devices using that range are cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless thermostats, wireless baby monitors and routers.
Hi Jeff! Thanks for the quick response! Can you clarify that the SUB is using 5 ghz to communicate to the PLAYBAR and does not by itself communicate (neither 2.4 nor 5 ghz) directly to the BRIDGE? I've been setting up wifi devices on 5 ghz over 2.4 ghz, but looks like I may need to switch some back. Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff! Thanks for the quick response! Can you clarify that the SUB is using 5 ghz to communicate to the PLAYBAR and does not by itself communicate (neither 2.4 nor 5 ghz) directly to the BRIDGE? I've been setting up wifi devices on 5 ghz over 2.4 ghz, but looks like I may need to switch some back. Thanks again!

The SUB will use 2.4 when paired with speakers other than the PLAYBAR. The PLAYBAR uses 5 ghz to stream the higher bandwidth home theater audio between it, the SUB and any surround speakers you may have set up. When paired with a PLAYBAR, the SUB won't be using its 2.4 antenna to communicate with your BRIDGE.
Thanks! Final question: Is there any way to tell, or better yet, change which 5 ghz channel the Sonos devices use?
I have had a Playbar for a couple weeks and just added the SUB yesterday but while listening to music today I've noticed the SUB cuts out every 20-30 mins for about 15 seconds and then comes back on. I've even watched the settings on the Sonos PC app and the SUB settings tab disappears for a few seconds and then reappears.

I've submitted the Support Diagnostics, my confirmation number is: 7670893

Thanks for any help provided.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello tywshah1, do you have any wireless extenders in the household? It looks like the PLAYBAR may be set up on an extender, this doesn't appear to be passing the traffic from the SUB properly.
No, I don't have any wireless extenders in my house, all I have is one cable internet modem with built in WiFi.
Hi,
I'm having the same issue with the playbar/sub setup. Both are less than 6 months old. I submitted support diagnostics, confirmation number: 7787921
Thanks
My wireless SUB continues to drop off for approx. 15 seconds every 30 minutes and the only support I've received is suggestions that I have wireless interference caused by something like baby monitors, cordless phones, wifi repeaters, or wireless security cameras... however I do not have anything wireless in my house other than WiFi, devices connected to WiFi, and a garage door opener. Although I do have the Bluetooth on my smart phone turned on! At this point I've given up on support helping me fix the problem.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi,
I'm having the same issue with the playbar/sub setup. Both are less than 6 months old. I submitted support diagnostics, confirmation number: 7787921
Thanks

Thanks for posting the diagnostic, beezer720, and welcome to the community. In a review of the diagnostic, I am seeing a lot of wireless interference causing information to not fully be passed. As a first step, can you log into your wireless router's interface and set it's WiFi channel to either a static 6 or 11 to see if that helps? After making the change, wait a few minutes, take another diagnostic, and then post the reply here.

tywshah1 I tried to find an open incident with our support for your issue, but I was not able to locate one. Do you have a reference number? If you haven't already tried to do so, can you please relocate the SUB to a different location in the room it resides? Sometimes a wireless signal can be bit precarious just in one spot.
I was never given a reference number, however my confirmation number is: 7679989

The room is only 15 ft. x 20 ft. and I tried placing the sub in the opposite corner of the room but the it still drops out and the SUB tab disappears in Sonos Controller settings for approximately 15 seconds at an interval of about every 30 minutes.