Answered

Sub buzzing/rattling during very low frequency scene.

• 1 July 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I’m wondering if anyone can test this tv show and let me know if their sub buzzes/rattles during a specific scene. In Westworld Season 3 Episode 1 about 23 minutes in is a scene where Bernard is diagnosing himself. There is a really low frequency being played during this scene that causes my sub to make an awful buzz/rattle noise. I’m wondering if it’s just my sub or if it happens for everyone. I tried checking and there doesn’t appear to be anything loose inside the sub and other content sounds fine as far as I can tell.

I’ve reset the EQ and turned off true play and it still rattles during this scene. The volume is only set to about 15% or so.

I tried talking with chat support and sent them video proof of the problem and also sent in diagnostics.  They said the diagnostic shows nothing wrong and told me to post here for help(which I find very unhelpful by the way). 

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by IceCreamRush 15 July 2020, 15:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @John-1234.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out to us.

I would like to apologize for the experience you have gone through with our chat support team. I understand you situation since you have reaching out because you have noticed a non-natural behavior of the Sonos product, you expect that the support team you’re reaching out should have done the best they can to help.

Allow me to recommend the following steps since upon checking your Sonos account profile, you have reach out to our chat support team twice and the last session was an out of warranty replacement recommendation. Since you are still in the process of considering if you want to take advantage of the Out of warranty replacement, let me share to you some steps that might determine if the Sonos Sub is deemed to be replaced. 

1. First is to try and remove the Sonos Sub from being bonded to your Sonos main Product. Here is the guide on how to remove Sub on the Sonos app.
  2. Next is to reset your Sonos Sub. Here is the guide on how to Factory Reset your Sonos Sub. Doing a complete Factory Reset on you Sonos Sub, deletes any data stored on it including but not limited to the Sonos account it is registered, Network WiFi name, and the Sonos device it is bonded to.
  3. Once your Sonos Sub goes to a flashing green light status, Add the Sonos sub back on the Sonos app and here’s how to.
  4. Once the Sonos sub has been added back, test using the same video if it still generates the same sound  on the same moment in the past.

If after all the steps above have been done and still the issue re-occurs, it is infact deemed to be replaced. Otherwise, you’ll have a complete functioning no rattling Sonos Sub.

Please let me know how it goes and do not hesitate to reach out if you still have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,

I have a rattle in my sub. I have gone through the procedure to reset the sub as instructed above but still have the rattle 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @IceCreamRush.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out.

Since you have mentioned that open following all the troubleshooting steps provided and seems to be a re-occuring problem, I would recommend reaching out to our  customer service phone support for some more in-depth troubleshooting steps or a possible replacement. They are open Mondays through Fridays from 10:00 AM to 10:00PM EST. 

Please let me know if you still need further assistance.

Thanks,

Hi @John-1234. Did the reset work for you? If not have you managed to get intouch with anyone yet? I’ve been waiting for someone to respond to my chat session for 3 hours now!

Mine has the infamous rattle as well. It seems to have happened after TruePlay setup. I’ve unpaired it, reset it, etc. In researching online it seems to be a known problem. I received the system as a gift, and it’s past the 100 day mark, so I guess we’re out of luck.

It’s unfortunate because the rest of the system is so awesome. The defective subs seem to be ruining the experience for many people.

I got in touch with Sonos help in chat. They eventually asked me to take a video, so I pulled the sub out from the side of the TV cabinet, turned it around and did the test again. No rattle this time! It turns out that the position I had it in was reflecting sound back into the sub and causing the rattle. It’s totally fine now I’ve got it in some space. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @IceCreamRush.

Thanks for reaching out to us.

I’m glad everything works now. Congratulations and enjoy your sonos.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Thankfully, I came across this post prior to me making arrangements with the retailer I acquired the Sub Gen 2 from. 

After moving the sub away from the corner whilst still playing audio with the frequencies causing the rattle, to my brief disappointment, it did not resolve this issue.

I did however discover moments later that my 2 year old had put a small plastic ball down the duct, which fell out when turning up side down!

The problem is now fixed! I therefore suggest owners with this issue try this also, which admittedly is a long shot, but it worked for me. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Ctommo88.

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thanks for sharing what was done to help fix the issue on your end so other members of the community can consider your solution and try it out if it would also help with their issue. I’m glad that everything is now working on your end and I do hope you continue to love and enjoy your Sonos.

Please do not hesitate to reach out and share if you have any other tips and tricks up your sleeves. Here in the community, everybody can lend out a hand.

Thanks,