Question

Sub and surround Play:1's cuts out every other 20 seconds.

• 11 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi there,
I recently bought a Beam to go along with my dual Play:1- and Sub-setup. After configuring the surround system I have experienced frequent cut outs from both Play:1's as well as the Sub. I tried to change the Sonos-net channel as well as the broadcast channel of my router, however I experienced little to no difference. Furthermore, I tried to seperate the entire system and re-connect everything, but again, little to no improvement.

Does anyone have an idea on how to resolve my issue?

Kind regards,
Niels

Edit: I don't know if changing the Sonos-net channel even fixes anything, as the setup usually plays wirelessly.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Niels E

Most issues like yours are network related. You have several choices in addition to changing the channels as you have done:

10 steps to resolve a network issue (in most cases)
  1. Remove any baby monitors, cordless phones, security cameras and/or base stations at least 6 feet from your router.
  2. Unplug All Sonos
  3. Unplug All other wired and wireless products to your router
  4. Check router admin page for updates
  5. Reboot your router
  6. Reboot your iOS or Android device
  7. Plug in Sonos 1 x 1 start with Beam and surround speakers you will bond to it; including the Sub
  8. Plug in other Sonos 1x1
  9. Plug in other wired and wireless products 1x1
  10. Test your Sonos
Option 2
  1. Follow the Home Theater setup steps given here.
Option 3
  1. Follow perform the 10 steps and Option 2
Option 4
  1. Submit a diagnostic
  2. Post the reference ID in this forum
  3. Call Sonos Tech Support or go thru Twitter or Facebook (the latter two may yield a faster response)
Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!
When set up as a 5.1 system, the Beam is communicating with the surrounds and the SUB on a 5Ghz network, not a 2.4Ghz network.

I honestly don't know if changing the SonosNet network channel affects the 5Ghz signal, but when looking at step 1, in the 10 steps part of the post above, be aware that you're dealing particularly with the 5Ghz network.

At the point that the speakers are set up as a different "room", then it switches back to the 2.4Ghz network connection, and the SonosNet channel definitely has an effect, assuming you have at least one device wired to your router with an ethernet cable.
Hi Niels E

Most issues like yours are network related. You have several choices in addition to changing the channels as you have done:

10 steps to resolve a network issue (in most cases)
  1. Remove any baby monitors, cordless phones, security cameras and/or base stations at least 6 feet from your router.
  2. Unplug All Sonos
  3. Unplug All other wired and wireless products to your router
  4. Check router admin page for updates
  5. Reboot your router
  6. Reboot your iOS or Android device
  7. Plug in Sonos 1 x 1 start with Beam and surround speakers you will bond to it; including the Sub
  8. Plug in other Sonos 1x1
  9. Plug in other wired and wireless products 1x1
  10. Test your Sonos
Option 2
  1. Follow the Home Theater setup steps given here.
Option 3
  1. Follow perform the 10 steps and Option 2
Option 4
  1. Submit a diagnostic
  2. Post the reference ID in this forum
  3. Call Sonos Tech Support or go thru Twitter or Facebook (the latter two may yield a faster response)
Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!

Thanks for replying.
I have tried a few of the steps listed above and even disabled the 5GHz channel on my router; unfortunately nothing has helped thus far.

I just submitted a diagnostic report with the ID no. 281342386