Answered

Streaming skips, delayed starts, random speakers dropping out

• 2 February 2019
  • 10 replies

I've got an older Play 3, a Gen 2 Play 5, and nine Play 1 speakers scattered throughout the house. I've been having issues with songs starting to play on a few speakers but not all in a group, then about 10 seconds later the 'dead' speakers start playing just fine and all is well. I had an old cheap wireless access point and I figured that was the bottleneck so I upgraded to a Netgear Nighthawk (operating in wireless access point mode). I had to delete and re-add all the speakers to the system, which was fine (albeit time consuming), but everything seemed to be okay for a while. Then the skipping and delayed starts happened again. I read some more online and ended up buying a Sonos Connect. I have no idea if the speakers connected to it, but it was configured as required and is currently in the middle of then house with a direct connection to the router via the access point. I read it creates a separate wireless network specifically for the speakers but I can't discover it so I suppose it is masked from being seen. The speakers still have a weird delayed start in some rooms. I don't have many wireless devices in the house (three maybe, four connected at a time).

What's the deal?
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 5 February 2019, 18:11

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your quick response. I submitted a diagnostics last night. the confirmation no is: 1105605030. Please take a look.

Thanks

Thanks for sending in the report. I see that there is wireless interference causing communication errors between your Bridge and speakers. Please make sure your Bridge is not too close to any other electronics, such as your router. It's usually best to keep a couple feet in between them. It may also help to change the wireless channel your Sonos system is using.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I’m having the same issue and it never occurred prior to about a month ago. Now the speakers go in and out and stop connecting to Spotify regularly. I haven’t made any changes to my WiFi setup during this time, but there have been several system updates. Diagnostics: 1372485791 please help with this issue. It’s on a ton of pages here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
GCowan, Why did you spend the extra money for a Sonos Connect rather than getting a Boost that is better for your use and a lot cheaper?

You should not have needed to reset anything, just go to the controller and add it to your existing system.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1006?language=en_US

You can see if your speakers are connected via SonosNet and your new Ethernet connected Connect by looking at your controller's About screen and seeing if all are showing WM:0 mode.
I have been experiencing similar issues lately for about 3 months. I have 2 play 5s, 2 sonos 1s and a sonos connect to Bose home theater. Skipping songs, rooms disappear on the list and random delayed start are now common problems which i never experience before for the past 5 years. Most frustrating of all is, grouping the rooms now almost chaotic. And my sonos connect can not be played alone except i group with any other room. the quality of the sonos software is going down recently. Better sonos fix these before all the loyal fans start to switch to other ones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have been experiencing similar issues lately for about 3 months. I have 2 play 5s, 2 sonos 1s and a sonos connect to Bose home theater. Skipping songs, rooms disappear on the list and random delayed start are now common problems which i never experience before for the past 5 years. Most frustrating of all is, grouping the rooms now almost chaotic. And my sonos connect can not be played alone except i group with any other room. the quality of the sonos software is going down recently. Better sonos fix these before all the loyal fans start to switch to other ones.

Hi SonosAllDay,

The issues you've described sound like local networking or wireless interference issues. Please submit a diagnostic report after this happens, and reply here with the confirmation number, I'll take a look for you.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your quick response. I submitted a diagnostics last night. the confirmation no is: 1105605030. Please take a look.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff,

Thanks

Thanks for sending in the report. I see that there is wireless interference causing communication errors between your Bridge and speakers. Please make sure your Bridge is not too close to any other electronics, such as your router. It's usually best to keep a couple feet in between them. It may also help to change the wireless channel your Sonos system is using.
Thank you Jeff. I will try the suggestions tonight. Appreciate your very quick responses.
Hi Jeff, i tried your suggestions (moved the bridge few foot away and changed the channel) now i see the devices but still the connect skips the songs and pauses for a while and comes back. I can send another diagnostics tonight. Please let me know

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff, i tried your suggestions (moved the bridge few foot away and changed the channel) now i see the devices but still the connect skips the songs and pauses for a while and comes back. I can send another diagnostics tonight. Please let me know

Thanks

You can try the other available wireless channels, or some of the tips in this guide. If that doesn't help, send along a new report and reply here with the number.
GCowan, Why did you spend the extra money for a Sonos Connect rather than getting a Boost that is better for your use and a lot cheaper?

You should not have needed to reset anything, just go to the controller and add it to your existing system.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1006?language=en_US

You can see if your speakers are connected via SonosNet and your new Ethernet connected Connect by looking at your controller's About screen and seeing if all are showing WM:0 mode.

My apologies, I did get a Boost, not a Connect. All speakers are on WM:0. I just submitted diagnostics report # 1966979724 so we'll see what happens. Everything has been going well but just now the Play 3 and Play 5 went silent then came back about 30 seconds later.