Answered

Spotify streaming from Sonos, jumps, skips tracks.

• 3 February 2017
  • 78 replies

Had Sonos with spotify for years - no problems (same setup as now and same internet distributer and same modem+router). The last few weeks I have had a ton of problems with skipping tracks mid-song and jumping over tracks. I have a 100/50 mb connection and a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router and perfect wifi everywhere in the house. I use a sonos connect that distribute the signal to my two sonos 3 speakers and when connected also my sonos 1. Moreover i have connected my NAD amplifier and my B&W speakers in the living room as a last sonos unit. I had read endless threads on the "skip/jump" subject the last few weeks and tried, what I believe is almost every possible solution presented in the forums (I even made my broadband distributer reset everything a reconfigure the modem the supply)... but still I have that problem. The only thing that is "new" is a chromecast 2 I bought, but I have double checked that "guest mode" is disable, as I understand this might cause problems. I have sent a diagnostics report (7066739) and I am SO DONE with this now. I have bought hifi for thousand of euros and i almost solely use spotify to listens to music (rarely old vinyls) and now it doesn't work anymore and I am exhausted... I hope you can help me out. Best regards from Uffe in Denmark.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 3 October 2017, 23:57

Hi everyone, lots of activity, sorry we've been a bit quiet.

We've taken a look at some of the diagnostics you've reported and there's a pretty wide spread of issues that are showing up. Most cases are due to some network latency or wireless noise causing dropouts. We'd be happy to investigate closer with you all, especially if you're still having trouble.

I'd recommend you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system the next time this happens, then give us a call on our support line and give the number to the technician so that they can investigate live with you.

Since this thread is so broad, it's turning into a bit of a holding ground for any problem playing music for Spotify, and we want to make sure that everyone can get unique attention, as most likely your particular problem is unique. In the case that there's a known issue you're running into, the support line over the phone will be able to help get you flagged for anything you might need.

I'm going to close this thread to new replies. We'll talk to you soon if you're still having trouble, and again, my apologies for the silence.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

78 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Had Sonos with spotify for years - no problems (same setup as now and same internet distributer and same modem+router). The last few weeks I have had a ton of problems with skipping tracks mid-song and jumping over tracks. I have a 100/50 mb connection and a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router and perfect wifi everywhere in the house. I use a sonos connect that distribute the signal to my two sonos 3 speakers and when connected also my sonos 1. Moreover i have connected my NAD amplifier and my B&W speakers in the living room as a last sonos unit. I had read endless threads on the "skip/jump" subject the last few weeks and tried, what I believe is almost every possible solution presented in the forums (I even made my broadband distributer reset everything a reconfigure the modem the supply)... but still I have that problem. The only thing that is "new" is a chromecast 2 I bought, but I have double checked that "guest mode" is disable, as I understand this might cause problems. I have sent a diagnostics report (7066739) and I am SO DONE with this now. I have bought hifi for thousand of euros and i almost solely use spotify to listens to music (rarely old vinyls) and now it doesn't work anymore and I am exhausted... I hope you can help me out. Best regards from Uffe in Denmark.

Hi uffenygaard,

I've added a patch to your system that will apply when you run updates through your Sonos app. Please do so then test out Spotify and let me know how it goes.
Dear Jeff S, Thank you so much for your kind help. I have updated the SONOS app, and have put on a longer playlist from Spotify, and will report back here (including a new diagnostic report) if I encounter any problems. Grateful regards. Uffe.
Hello Jeff. I am having the same problem. Can you send me the patch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello Jeff. I am having the same problem. Can you send me the patch.

Hi reidcreedon,

We have a patch which applies to issues with a specific router and error code. Please submit a diagnostic report from your system and reply with your router's model number and the diagnostic confirmation number.
I am also having this problem. Skipping all the time.

I have submitted my diagnostics #7394631. Appreciate any help.
Hi Jeff,

I am having the same problem. Skipping with no rhyme or reason..

I have submitted my diagnostics #7396610. Thanks for your help.
Hi rhylton and nicnewcomb , we've added the patch. Can you update your systems and test Spotify again?
Hi Manny, I tried to update but it says my system is already up to date. Do I need to download this patch separately?

Thanks,
Robert
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi Manny, I tried to update but it says my system is already up to date. Do I need to download this patch separately?

You shouldn't have to. Try resetting the controller, reconnect to your existing system and see if it requires an update. This can normally be found in Help>>Reset Controller

Let us know if this gets the update going.
Still no updates after resetting the controller. Anything else I can try?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Still no updates after resetting the controller. Anything else I can try?

Try checking again. We missed something on your household when flagging it for the update. It should be available for you now.
Thanks. It updated this time and I have been listening off and on for the last couple of hours. It is much better but still has skipped a few times. Anything else you can check on? I will send my diagnostics just in case...
Diagnostics is 7402341. FYI
The Kitchen is struggling to stay connected to your wifi network. We're seeing a weak signal from it to both of the access points. At the same time, it is the "Group Coordinator" so all of the other players that have been grouped to it will also cut out. You've got a good sized Sonos system and would most likely benefit by wiring one of your players to your main router, or adding a BOOST to your household. You can test if things stabilize by temporarily hardwiring one of your PLAY:1s to the main router and then playing the same music selections in Spotify that were previously dropping out.
Thanks. I hooked one of the play:5s to the router in my office, and after playing a few songs it skipped again (in my office - no group and not involving the kitchen). Here are the updated diagnostics: 7403013

Any ideas?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks rhylton. Now that the PLAY:5 is wired in, please remove the wireless credentials from Sonos so that the player is not trying to read both WiFi and the wired SonosNet connection.

To do this on a Windows controller please go to Manage > Settings > Wireless Setup > Reset (usually located at the bottom).

After doing this, please do a reboot of the router by unplugging it for at least 30 seconds and then plugging it back in.

Let us know if that helps.
Thanks. I implemented that this morning and have been listening for a couple of hours now. Mostly good but still some skipping. It just skipped about 30 seconds ago if you want to have a look: 7405803
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
That wired PLAY:5 does have quite a lot of wireless noise fluctuations showing on it. If it's at all possible to wire in a different player in another part of the house instead, that would be best. Otherwise, we need to minimize the interference on it by moving other electromagnetic devices away or by finding a better channel to run the system on.
Hi, same problem here. Spotify plays only a few seconds of a song then skips to the next song. Then the same thing over and over with each subsequent song. Been happening for a few weeks now. It's unlistenable.
Similar problem, except only plays one second before skipping to next song, then skips again and again and again...can't listen to anything on spotify
Same problem here. I can't hear spotify anymore. THW Tracks are skipping all 2 seconds. Diagnose ID: 7544156. Thanks for helping.
I am getting the same issues as above, songs skipping, not playing only when playing Spotify (have tested with OOTB radio station and streamed fine with current setup. Diagnostics is 7551093.
Hello - having the same issue. Spotify playlist skips to next song after a minute. Please let me know if I am eligible for the patch solution. Diagnostics 7563185. Thank you!
Same issue here, spotify will not play a whole song. Diagnostic 7567798. Had speakers for 2 years, this is a recent issue
Spotify is unplayble on our sonos 5, it skips songs and palys 1 sec then skips again, there is no issues when streaming on phone or computer, but if we connect to sonos it stops working.

Diagnostic nr 7578022 sent just now.