Answered

spotify song skips and drops

Hi there,

Been seeking a resolution to this problem for a while. Moved my system to completely wired and removed some components to see if they were the source of interference. No luck so hoping support has a better idea of what is going on. 

Lost connection to Spotify error. Song skips and general intermittent problems with music streaming. Local music works fine and home theater works fine.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 June 2021, 13:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @LightCam45 

In the Sonos app (for each system), please go to Settings » System » System Updates » Update Automatically to make sure you don’t miss any updates. More details are on our Update your Sonos speakers help page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stefan.Sorin 

Just to be clear, the reset should be done after the update of firmware, not before.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gwelchh 

The only known playback issue on Spotify at the moment is where adding a track with Play Next will make that track skip. 

Having said that, I do see evidence of your speaker getting deauthorisation errors when refreshing it’s connection to your WiFi - this is usually caused by your router combining 2.4 & 5GHz bands, and mistakenly steering the speaker to 5GHz, which it will not connect to. This can delay reconnection and break playback continuity. The fix is to separate the bands so they have different network names (SSIDs). I usually add “-5” to the end of the name for 5Ghz. Then teach your 5GHz capable WiFi devices the new name/password, but not Sonos. SonosNet (wiring one Sonos unit to Ethernet) bypasses this issue, which is why the issue then goes away.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @LightCam45 

I can promise you that both Sonos and Spotify are taking this very seriously, and we are both working to resolve this as quickly as we can. However, I can also promise you that I will not receive a single update as to the progress made, until the moment I am told it has been fixed. If I was to receive an update that wasn’t an actual fix, I would not be allowed to share it. Only when an issue has been resolved, and the related update released, can we share the fact with customers.

What I can’t promise you is that you are being affected by this particular issue, though if you see the same symptoms then it’s likely.

Hi @LightCam45 

I can promise you that both Sonos and Spotify are taking this very seriously, and we are both working to resolve this as quickly as we can. However, I can also promise you that I will not receive a single update as to the progress made, until the moment I am told it has been fixed. If I was to receive an update that wasn’t an actual fix, I would not be allowed to share it. Only when an issue has been resolved, and the related update released, can we share the fact with customers.

What I can’t promise you is that you are being affected by this particular issue, though if you see the same symptoms then it’s likely.

Thank you for the reply, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn’t a fix out from Sonos that I was unware of. We have a few offices that use Sonos products so trying to keep ontop of updates as best as I can.

Hi @OzSonos 

This issue has been resolved. Please update your Sonossystem to ensure you receive the fix.

Hi Corry, I am having this exact issue. I spent hours on the phone to customer support yesterday with their solution being to use Apple Music instead of Spotify as it kept dropping the Wi-fi. 
Is there an actual fix for this yet? My Sonos is up to date. 
Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Lora 

Although the known issue with Spotify playback has been resolved, it does look like you are having similar issues (though I don’t think, in your case, that it’s an issue with Spotify servers).

However, playing to 3 speakers should not use up your WiFi bandwidth to the point where other devices start dropping off your network. Although you’ve already rebooted your router, I would like to make sure that when you did so, you left it unpowered for at least 30 seconds - if not, please try this again.

If that doesn’t help, are you able to connect any one speaker to the router with an ethernet cable? This will change the way they all connect and may fix the issue. Please wait a minute after connecting the cable, then test playback.

I’m unfamiliar with your router, but if you can find an option to enable IGMP Snooping/Filtering in the Network settings, please turn it on. Browse to http://192.168.1.254 to see your router settings.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Lora 

Although the known issue with Spotify playback has been resolved, it does look like you are having similar issues (though I don’t think, in your case, that it’s an issue with Spotify servers).

However, playing to 3 speakers should not use up your WiFi bandwidth to the point where other devices start dropping off your network. Although you’ve already rebooted your router, I would like to make sure that when you did so, you left it unpowered for at least 30 seconds - if not, please try this again.

If that doesn’t help, are you able to connect any one speaker to the router with an ethernet cable? This will change the way they all connect and may fix the issue. Please wait a minute after connecting the cable, then test playback.

I’m unfamiliar with your router, but if you can find an option to enable IGMP Snooping/Filtering in the Network settings, please turn it on. Browse to http://192.168.1.254 to see your router settings.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for such a quick response. 
I tried leaving the router unpowered for 30 seconds then playing music again and after two songs it’s dropped again: 2067910978

I’ll try connecting via cable but we did this yesterday and the problem is that my router is in a cupboard under the stairs so the speakers cannot live in there permanently. 

To ensure it isn't my router I've done a full reinstall of my network. Reset my router to factory firmware, new firmware reinstall, factory settings confirmed no extras active such as QOS. It just had problems straight away.

The Spotify app might also have similar issues but we don't use it enough to reliably report.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Lora 

Your diagnostic was sent at a time when the app was not connecting to your system, so it is somewhat lacking in useful information. Please try again (after reproducing the issue).

Please also test other sources, so we can discount Spotify as the problem.

I recommend you sacrifice a speaker for a day or two, and leave it connected to the router. If, after a couple of days, you are convinced doing this has helped, then I recommend you look into getting a Boost to connect there instead of the speaker (the Boost does the same as a wired speaker, but costs much less as it has no playback ability).

Please also disband the group of speakers and recreate it, but selecting a different speaker first. The first speaker selected will be in charge of the group and will have more to do, so it’s usually best if the speaker in charge is the one closest to the router.

Finally, when the music stops, do any of the speakers flash white?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stefan.Sorin 

That was another Spotify error. There is nothing further I can do you help you with this. It’s a Spotify issue and we are working with them to resolve it.

By all means, let me know if you have any playback errors that are not related to Spotify in any way.

@Corry P 

I am now playing music with one speaker connected to the router and it hasn't dropped yet so I’m assuming it’s a wifi issue?

@Corry P switched it back to Wi-fi and if has dropped again after two songs. 
I’ll look into a boost but I’m reluctant to buy another product to do something these speakers should be capable of. 
I haven’t had this problem with them until I moved house this week and suddenly they don’t work on Wi-fi. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Lora 

It does sound like it might be, though I see no WiFi disconnects - mind you, in each diagnostic the speakers aren’t reporting that they’ve been on for very long so there may be no time for me to see it happen.

I recommend that you don’t reboot any speakers, as when you do, the logs are erased. Please also keep an eye out for flashing white lights - this shouldn’t happen spontaneously and indicates a reboot.

For WiFi connections (with no Sonos devices wired to ethernet), Sonos prefers the following router WiFi settings:

• 2.4 GHz (best to separate 2.4 & 5 GHz so their network names (SSIDs) are different - I usually add “-5” to the end of the 5GHz SSID)
  • 802.11 b/g mode
  • 20 MHz channel width
  • Smart Setup (or similar) disabled
  • A stable channel number (no auto mode). 1, 6 or 11 are recommended as they don’t overlap

The router should also be at least 1m from any device that receives or transmits on the 2.4GHz band (any WiFi device, but also hubs, cordless phone bases, baby monitors and more).

If we can sort out the WiFi, you won’t need a Boost (or a wired speaker).

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Lora 

I wrote my last before seeing your last.

When you moved, did you change router? If so, it’s likely configuration of the router. If not, it’s probably placement - under the stairs doesn’t sound ideal as there’s lots of extra mass around stair cases (wood, stone, concrete, brick) - or interference.

Hi @Lora 

I wrote my last before seeing your last.

When you moved, did you change router? If so, it’s likely configuration of the router. If not, it’s probably placement - under the stairs doesn’t sound ideal as there’s lots of extra mass around stair cases (wood, stone, concrete, brick) - or interference.

Hi, 

yes it’s a new router, unfortunately it was all wired in when I moved in and it’s a new build area so choice of only one provider at the moment. 

When it dropped just now the speaker light did flash for a second before going back to solid white and the app told me the connection to spotify had been lost. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stefan.Sorin 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Looking at your diagnostics, it seems that your system is being affected by a Sonos/Spotify issue that we are currently investigating.

Can you please try playing Spotify on Sonos from your Spotify app, rather than from the Sonos app? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Lora 

A quick flash is OK - when it flashes for about 30 seconds it’s rebooting.

It sounds like adjusting router settings or reducing nearby interference will help. Or a Boost, but I’d consider that a last resort.

Hi Corry,

Have tried that, am not certain the problem does not replicate but it certainly is much less often. So perhaps that resolves it. Unfortunately it then depends on the spotify device (ipad or phone or desktop) remaining active.

I’ve honestly been having this problem for the better part of a year.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stefan.Sorin 

A year?

This issue, which you’re definitely experiencing, has only existed since May this year, so I now have to assume you’ve got compounded issues.

Unfortunately, it will currently be difficult to troubleshoot the older issue using Spotify. Given that both your devices are wired to ethernet, we can of course rule out WiFi issues and the environment.

I notice you have an Asus router. We are aware of an issue whereby some Asus routers need to undergo a factory reset after they have updated their firmware, and that this firmware update may easily happen without you being aware. Therefore, it may be best to try a factory reset of the Asus router.

Hi Corry,

This might be separate issues or problems then. I moved my system off wifi to try and resolve the past problems. They decreased, but never ceased. I will double check my firmware and update my router again, but I have this set to manual so i doubt this is a problem.

Badge

Any update on this one?

I can also tell you that this could be partly due to a routing issue with Sonos servers.  

Sonos servers do not like people behind a VPN.

It can cause this issue issue also.  So if your router is acting as a VPN server, route Sonos devices to WAN.

Sonos team: if you can fix this, would be great.  Believe it is region or VPN blocking

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stefan.Sorin 

If you used to have your system operating on WiFi, then the Airtime Fairness and Quality of Service options in your Asus router’s settings may have been an issue. Your Sonos system prefers both to be off.

Many Asus router owners have needed to factory-reset their routers recently, and not just for Sonos operation, so it’s my main concern for your system. Excepting the Spotify issue, of course.

Hi Corry,

Yes i recently reset my router and reinstalled the firmware, QOS and other ‘extras’ are always disabled.

I will do this again to see if it has an effect.

Correct. And it just occurred again.