Spotify plays music on different volume

• 22 January 2015
  • 29 replies

It is annoying that when I play my Spotify Premium account on Sonos, some tracks are way louder than others.  Having some invites, I was continiously adjusting the volume with the controller on ipad.  Is there a setting where you can use a "gaincontrol" so that every song plays at the same volume?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Gert,

Are the Sonos units grouped? If yes, you will need to make sure all the Sonos units are set to the same volume.
You you click on the main volume bar you will see a drop down menu that will allow you setup the wanted volume for each devices.

Let us know how it goes.
Mostly I use the playbar ungrouped. I know about ajusting the individual volume controls. If the music is playing to loud I lower the volume. But after a while another song is so silently, I must rise the volume.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Mostly I use the playbar ungrouped. I know about ajusting the individual volume controls. If the music is playing to loud I lower the volume. But after a while another song is so silently, I must rise the volume.
Are the songs playing from the source? (some from music service and others from local music library) I would like to have a deeper look into your system, can you submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number? Here is a FAQ showing you how to submit a system diagnostic
No, I am playing songs from a spotify playlist.  If I play songs from my library (NAS) there is no problem with volume difference between songs.  I use MP3Gain to adjust the level.  If I listen to this playlist directly on Spotify on my phone with in-ear headphone, I also have this problem.
If I have the time this evening, I am trying to reproduce the problem and notify witch song are very loud and witch songs are hardly hearable.
Userlevel 1
We have the same problem where i work. We have two sonos play:3. We are playing song with spotify. Some songs are really loud and some are quiet. We have a picky next door collegue so we have adjust the volume all the time... Just got the system installed today.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
There's not going to be much that Sonos can do if the problem is with the volume levels of the files on Spotify's end. The only possibility might be if Spotify can include normalization data in the metadata that Sonos could somehow use to help with normalizing the volume. But if you notice it in the Spotify app on your phone as well, then they likely don't have that data.
Userlevel 1
Spotify has an option for volume normalisation in the desktop client (the spotify client that is, not the sonos client).
Userlevel 1
So, what is needed in Sonos is a Volume Normalization option.
Userlevel 1
Hi Gert,

Are the Sonos units grouped? If yes, you will need to make sure all the Sonos units are set to the same volume.
You you click on the main volume bar you will see a drop down menu that will allow you setup the wanted volume for each devices.

Let us know how it goes.

This response is not answering the question
It seems that Sonos or Spotify have been working on this issue, because the problem is less irritating (or am I getting used of this) There are still some songs where I have to turn the volume + or -.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Gert,

Please submit a diagnosctic code if you want the Sonos rep to look at it for you.
I too have the exact same problem.

When I use the Sonos embedded app for Spotify the volume leveling between songs is simply terrible. I mean it goes from a level that I like when i first start the system, to way too loud that I can her the person next to me, to I can't hardly hear the music playback at all.

I have to say that I don't really expect this kind of integration from either company - SONOS or Spotify. I pay for the Spotify service and I bought the SONOS equipment for its ease of use.

This position is simply not consisent wtih the SONOS marketing mantra. There is no hiding from this issue, just listen to the playback. The output is not level whatsoever.

I woudl like to see this issue addressed immedicately.
I am having the same issue with Spotify and am thinking of trying another service. Does the same issue exist with Google Music?
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I am having the same issue with Spotify and am thinking of trying another service. Does the same issue exist with Google Music?

Not in my experience. But there's no substitute for trying it out - maybe there's a free trial on (?) but if not it's only one month's subs cost you're risking - if not satisfied, jus cancel.
Badge
Leaving my reply here, facing same issues (playing music on different volume levels through the Spotify integration in Sonos)
My diagnostic has been logged: 5366496.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Leaving my reply here, facing same issues (playing music on different volume levels through the Spotify integration in Sonos)
My diagnostic has been logged: 5366496.

Hi Reetveter, I have reviewed your diagnostic and all your speakers are on different volumes. Also, the bass on all speakers is different.
The best would be to run Trueplay on all your speakers are try again. Let us know how it goes.
User Nasso stated it best. I have paraphrased him below for ease of understanding:

When streaming only Spotify tracks on Sonos, some songs are loud, some songs are quiet. Example: I have a Spotify playlist playing, then the next track begins at much higher volume. I have not changed the volume on the control - the track recording is louder.

Spotify have built a feature to deal with this problem in the desktop client, so they clearly recognize it is a problem. The Spotify option "set the same volume level for all tracks" does not seem to be available when playing through Sonos.

My question for Sonos, please, is: when will you release a feature like Spotify's which will "set the same volume level for all tracks".
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
[/quote]My question for Sonos, please, is: when will you release a feature like Spotify's which will "set the same volume level for all tracks".[/quote]

Hi, we'll pass on the suggestion for you. Let us know if you have any other questions we can help with.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I wound up here because I was having the same problem with a Chromecast Audio, and was hoping an established brand like SONOS would have the answer I was looking for. But it looks like this community is in the same boat. Will keep an eye on the thread with hopes of resolution, for work and home.

In the meantime, the best solution seems to be playing back audio on spotify desktop client with the "Normalize Volume" option on, then using another piece of software to pipe that audio to your SONOS speakers. More setup but the desired results. With spotify connect, can still control the music on your desktop from your phone.
Userlevel 2
Please get behind this Sonos idea feature by commenting and liking - if all feedback is consolidated onto one thread then this is more likely to get implemented - https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/volume-normalization-for-online-music-services-5611734/index1.html#post15969641
Badge
My question for Sonos, please, is: when will you release a feature like Spotify's which will "set the same volume level for all tracks".[/quote]

Hi, we'll pass on the suggestion for you. Let us know if you have any other questions we can help with.[/quote]

Hi Max,

Has this progressed any further? Not having Volume Normalization is a significant bit of missing functionality for Sonos that many have been asking for quite a while now.

Thanks

I am experiencing it with Google Music. I actually found this thread looking for a solution. Did not know it was an issue with Spotify too.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm also experiencing this with Spotify. It's definitely not a SONOS issue but does effect the listening experience.

It generally appears to be older songs that are quieter than others for me, for example the Discovery playlist in Spotify which can have a very diverse offering of music will often have a bunch of songs that are a lot quieter than others.

When I streamed directly from my iPod to a Bluetooth speaker and with the Volume Normalization enabled all of the songs played at a level volume.

It would be great if SONOS could look into this 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
Same probably here and I have to admit, I became a little frustrated reading this thread. Max P, the problem that people are describing is not Spotify music playing louder in one zone compared to another. That seems to be what you are focusing on or suggesting. The problem is that when you play a playlist from Spotify on any Sonos zone or even a single Sonos zone, the volume of the tracks or songs can vary greatly. One song will be quiet, and so you turn up the volume in the zone you are listening to, and then the next song is very loud and then you have to turn down the volume to compensate, then another song will be very soft again. It is track to track inconsistency with the volume, not zone to zone.

I listen to spotify on other devices and absolutely do not have this problem. It only happens on Sonos.