Question

Spotify playlists - tracks not showing in 'date added order'

• 19 October 2015
  • 16 replies

I'm a Beta tester.
My tracks within Sonos playlists no longer show in or can be sorted in 'date added' order.
Having spoken to SONOS support this morning it was suggested that although this was previously a feature, it is no longer possible due to changes in the Spotify API that has been made available to SONOS. It was suggested that I instigate this request for it to be added back in.
Can you give me an indication of timescales.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I'm a Beta tester.
My tracks within Sonos playlists no longer show in or can be sorted in 'date added' order.
Having spoken to SONOS support this morning it was suggested that although this was previously a feature, it is no longer possible due to changes in the Spotify API that has been made available to SONOS. It was suggested that I instigate this request for it to be added back in.
Can you give me an indication of timescales.

Hi User483972, were you able to resolve the issue? Also, do you have a ticket number?
Hi,
I’m also a beta tester. I have never been able to sort my playlist in Sonos integrated Spotify player after latest added. How did you manage that? It’s my biggest problem besides the fact that Sonos won’t support Spotify connect.
Sonos Support, any update on this?
I have the same issue, raised it as a beta user months ago and received no response. It's really frustrating. I use Spotify almost exclusively across all my devices and only my Sonos system doesn't sort by recently added - which I'm pretty certain us the default sort order.

Is this going to be fixed?
There is definitely no sort order parameter available in the Spotify API: https://developer.spotify.com/web-api/get-users-saved-albums/

But there is an "added_at" property in the response. So any sorting which does take place is client-specific, i.e. the Spotify desktop app implements its own sorting and UI to manage it.

There is also a comment from a Spotify developer on their Github repo for the API spec, from June 2015, saying sortable responses for playlist/albums is a good idea: https://github.com/spotify/web-api/issues/75

Probably Sonos just need to implement their own ordering functionality in the app 😞
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi all, afraid we can't comment on future developments, but are using the Spotify API as mentioned by Paul.
Badge +1
Doesn't seem like Sonos cares a hoot. The most important feature of a Playlist still hasn't been resolved.
I held my breath, waited but died.
Yep, with you all on this one. Would be a really useful feature and it's disappointing Sonons don't seem all that bothered about implementing it. I've actually just reverted to using my old speakers with a good old Bluetooth connection so I can play my most recently added tracks first directly from Spotify.
Ridiculous that this isn't a feature on the Sonos app. Obviously people would prefer to listen to the most recently added songs on a playlist first. Until this is fixed (along with other commonsense features like having a song and playlist play when you first click it, rather than having to first add it to a queue) I wont be purchasing any more Sonos, will be dissuading my friends from purchasing Sonos products, and leaving Reviews on Amazon to reflect these facts. I suggest other users do the same and make their voices heard, otherwise Sonos won't do anything...
Badge +1
I was just thinking thats a little extreme Farasonos! However I suppose if one only uses Sonos for music, this playlist issue is understandable
Heyyy Sonos, this situation is ridiculous....you got the starred playlist from Spotify ordered by added date ascending....so it's not complicate to order this same playlist in the inverse order directly in your app...I think a student in his first year of computer science can do it !!!!!!!
SONOS: Are you listening? Please improve your products before Apple takes over your market share..
This is ridiculous indeed, it's just about changing the sort order from ascending to descending. If I knew this in advance, it would have NEVER EVER bought a Sonos system.
This is ridiculous indeed, it's just about changing the sort order from ascending to descending. If I knew this in advance, it would have NEVER EVER bought a Sonos system.

You do know you can now play Spotify to Sonos directly from the Spotify app? This bypasses any deficiencies mentioned in this thread, which is well over a year old and predates the new functionality.
Hi jgatie, thanks for your reply. I know, but as I have the soundbar connected to my tv and multiple Play:1 speakers throughout the house, I have to use the Sonos app every time to change groups. When I'm watching TV, I don't need movie sounds in my bathroom. So basically I'm always using the Sonos app, also because my girlfriend is used to that app ;)

And yes, I could move some of my music from my favorites to new folders so I don't have to scroll down through hundreds of songs to get to the one I added today, but it comes down to one tiny simple edit from Sonos, changing the sort order.
It has been said before that the sorting of playlists in Spotify, along with other playlist functions, are a function unavailable in the web based Spotify API that the Sonos app is required to use. Asking for it here is fine, but asking for this function at Spotify will probably do more good, since it's their API.