Answered

Spotify, PLAY:1 and One SL issues

• 22 April 2022
  • 3 replies

I have some PLAY:1s and last year added a One SL to my system; I use the S2 controller. My problem is that Spotify will not play anything on the older speakers unless I start it on the One SL (which plays fine) then pair to an older speaker. I also have to keep them paired otherwise spotify stops playing. It's very annoying and I wondered if anyone else had an issue.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 29 April 2022, 10:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Angie_j_s 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

This is strange behaviour, and not what you should expect from your Sonos system. 

How are you instigating playback? From the Sonos app, voice control, or the Spotify app? Please also provide details of your home network - your router details and any devices that extend the WiFi range.

Please also recreate the issues and then submit a support diagnostic, replying here with the number given.

Thanks.

Thanks for your response. I have tried using the Sonos app and the Spotify app. It tells me that ‘connection to Spotify was lost’ it doesn’t give a number (using the Sonos app). Spotify app it just tries to connect and fails unless I connect to the SL speaker, then it connects straight away. I’ve tried using voice control via Alexa and Google but same results. I’ve submitted diagnostics - 1312229387.

What router details do you need?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Angie_j_s 

Thanks for the diagnostics - they show the kitchen speakers in particular having a hard time connecting to Spotify. There are no transmission issues, however, so it seems likely that you need to, at the very least, reboot your router. Please turn it off for at least 30 seconds before turning back on again. I do see a second access point that only Living Room 1 is connecting to - is this a mesh node, or an extender? Please reboot it too, but after the main router has come back on.

You should reboot your router several times a year as a matter of course.

If these steps do not help, please try wiring any one Sonos speaker to the router with an ethernet cable. The entire system will then change the way it connects, using the wired speaker as a Sonos-only access point. If this means you have to move a speaker to where you don’t want to have one, please do so temporarily to test. If it’s an improvement, you may want to get a Boost, but I’d recommend getting in touch with our technical support team first to try other options before spending money.

Please keep the wired speaker at least 1m away from the router.

If you don’t need to move a speaker significantly (or at all) to wire it, and there is an improvement, please keep the speaker ethernet-wired permanently. You should also then remove the WiFi credentials from your Sonos system.

I also spotted an error that nearly always occurs because an outdated version of the Spotify app is in use - please check the Spotify app on your phone for updates.

I hope this helps.