Question

Spotify not playing "connection to spotify lost"

• 18 February 2017
  • 58 replies

Userlevel 1
Can't play Spotify through any devices to Sonos. No issue playing any other music services (Tunein, Google Play, etc...). Playing Spotify either through the Sonos Controller or the Spotify app results in silence.

Diagnostic: 7113630

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

I have the same issue since yesterday as well. It says unable to play selected items. No problem with spotify on my phone or computer. Just wont play on Sonos. Other things will play but not spotify
My Sonos Play:1 will only play one song from my Spotify account and then will give me the same message "Cannot play song xxx - The connection to Spotify was lost". I've tried following other steps that have been posted (restarting the system, disconnecting then reconnecting the Spotify service, etc).

In the meantime I've had to rely on my local music library to play music.

I've submitted my diagnostic information through my Mac controller app. The id is: 7119967
Apparently you can do something with your router's DNS settings to fix this but I'm not sure of the steps to take...
Same problem here. Spotify will occasionally play a track but after that fails with a "Connection to Spotify was lost" message. I also can't play music from Amazon Prime, Google Play and even Tunein Radio is intermittent. My diagnostics ID is 7122495
Same Spotify connect issues here. All other services are working fine. What gives? I've already done all the reset reboot things.
Badge
Welcome to the community, all!
I'll go over your questions one by one.

Can't play Spotify through any devices to Sonos. No issue playing any other music services (Tunein, Google Play, etc...). Playing Spotify either through the Sonos Controller or the Spotify app results in silence.

Hi jagregory,

Your issue is related to the DNS in your router. Sonos requests the DNS protocol within the router to provide the information regarding the link to Spotify, yet either doesn't get an answer, or gets as answer to look at the location: 0.0.0.0 (which is a non-existing location on the internet).

As pjeremy pointed out, this can be fixed by changing the router's DNS settings, however, some routers don't provide this option (specifically most routers that are provided by the internet provider itself). You can check with your internet provider whether it's possible to change the DNS, There are great free DNS servers to use, one I can personally recommend is OpenDNS.
Their information is:
DNS Server 1 - 208.67.222.222
DNS Server 2 - 208.67.220.220

If it's not possible to change the DNS in the router, then the only thing you can do is reboot the router, and if that doesn't fix it, ask your Internet Provider to reset the DNS service they provide for your connection.

My Sonos Play:1 will only play one song from my Spotify account and then will give me the same message "Cannot play song xxx - The connection to Spotify was lost". I've tried following other steps that have been posted (restarting the system, disconnecting then reconnecting the Spotify service, etc).

I've submitted my diagnostic information through my Mac controller app. The id is: 7119967

Hey pjeremy,

Your issue actually isn't related to DNS in your case, but rather related to wireless issues. There's currently a 280+ms delay between the speaker and the router. Unfortunately this is too much to maintain a connection and Spotify will either drop or will not play at all, because the connection took too long to respond. The packets that are being sent between the router and the Sonos Play:1 that you have have an error rate of about 30-50%. This probably means there's something between the router and the speaker that's causing this, like an actual device or wireless signals.

If there's physically nothing between the router/Play:1, you could try changing the wireless channel on your router to circumvent the wireless interference to get a cleaner signal. Your router is currently is on channel 11 and there are a lot of other wireless devices on channel 11. My advice would be to try channel 6, this seems like a cleaner signal.

Same problem here. Spotify will occasionally play a track but after that fails with a "Connection to Spotify was lost" message. I also can't play music from Amazon Prime, Google Play and even Tunein Radio is intermittent. My diagnostics ID is 7122495

Hey jacurrie,

In your case it's the same answer as to pjeremy, there's wireless interference between the Bridge and your Players. In your case you can change the wireless channel of Sonos in the Sonos app under Settings > Advanced Settings > Sonosnet Channel

Same Spotify connect issues here. All other services are working fine. What gives? I've already done all the reset reboot things.

Hi jthomas79,

Could you submit a diagnostic and post the number? That way we can see whether you are experiencing the same issue as the others, or that there's a different cause to your problem.
I have the same problem as jagregory.
Diagnostic 7128398.
Thanks! I look forward to testing the solution shortly.
I have the same issue as Jthomas 79 -- here is the diagnostic #7136049. To clarify Here is more detail below:
1- I am one of the early customers of Sonos – around 4 or 5 years
2- Nothing has changed in the system – no speaker additions, no change in routers, no change period
3- The system is connected to internet and I can stream through use of various radio channels – no issues with internet connection
4- I can use Spotify on my cell phone (NOT CONNECTED TO SONONS) with no issues – my account is active and I can stream w/no problems independent of Sonos
5- From a few days ago, I can no longer stream music from Spotify using Sonos – when a music is selected it shows that is playing and then you get a msg “xxx-1 song – the connection to Spotify was lost” the system moves to play the next song and gets the same msg “xxx-2 song – the connection to Spotify was lost”
6- I have:
a. Rebooted Sonos multiple times
b. I have updated with the most recent software
c. I have deleted Spotify from my services and re-installed
d. I have also reauthorized Spotify and it indicates authorization successful
It looks like I have this issue since yesterday, similar description to mohasseb. My diagnostic number is #7136738.
I am having trouble connecting to spotify as well. The problem started a week or so ago after having been fully functional for about 2 years.

Welcome to the community, all!
I'll go over your questions one by one.

Hi jagregory,

Your issue is related to the DNS in your router. Sonos requests the DNS protocol within the router to provide the information regarding the link to Spotify, yet either doesn't get an answer, or gets as answer to look at the location: 0.0.0.0 (which is a non-existing location on the internet).

As pjeremy pointed out, this can be fixed by changing the router's DNS settings, however, some routers don't provide this option (specifically most routers that are provided by the internet provider itself). You can check with your internet provider whether it's possible to change the DNS, There are great free DNS servers to use, one I can personally recommend is OpenDNS.
Their information is:
DNS Server 1 - 208.67.222.222
DNS Server 2 - 208.67.220.220

If it's not possible to change the DNS in the router, then the only thing you can do is reboot the router, and if that doesn't fix it, ask your Internet Provider to reset the DNS service they provide for your connection.

Hey pjeremy,

Your issue actually isn't related to DNS in your case, but rather related to wireless issues. There's currently a 280+ms delay between the speaker and the router. Unfortunately this is too much to maintain a connection and Spotify will either drop or will not play at all, because the connection took too long to respond. The packets that are being sent between the router and the Sonos Play:1 that you have have an error rate of about 30-50%. This probably means there's something between the router and the speaker that's causing this, like an actual device or wireless signals.

If there's physically nothing between the router/Play:1, you could try changing the wireless channel on your router to circumvent the wireless interference to get a cleaner signal. Your router is currently is on channel 11 and there are a lot of other wireless devices on channel 11. My advice would be to try channel 6, this seems like a cleaner signal.

Hey jacurrie,

In your case it's the same answer as to pjeremy, there's wireless interference between the Bridge and your Players. In your case you can change the wireless channel of Sonos in the Sonos app under Settings > Advanced Settings > Sonosnet Channel

Hi jthomas79,

Could you submit a diagnostic and post the number? That way we can see whether you are experiencing the same issue as the others, or that there's a different cause to your problem.
Nick P

My diagnostics confirmation number is: 7137619.

My current DNS settings from my time warner supplied router are
IPv4 DNS 209.18.47.62

I don't believe it allows me to change those
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Nick P

My diagnostics confirmation number is: 7137619.

My current DNS settings from my time warner supplied router are
IPv4 DNS 209.18.47.62

I don't believe it allows me to change those

Hi jthomas79,

Please reboot your PLAYBAR by removing it from power for ten seconds or so. Once back online test out Spotify and send in a new diagnostic report if any issues remain.
I am having the same issue the others are experiencing with Spotify. I reset the controller, deleted then re-added Spotify, then in reading this community have rebooted my router. Still having the same issue. Spotify plays on my iphone and iPad no problem connected via wifi. Is this a Sonos problem or a Spotify problem? And why did it just start. It was working fine on Friday and as of Saturday it started with the error. I submitted diagnostic 7140580.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the same issue the others are experiencing with Spotify. I reset the controller, deleted then re-added Spotify, then in reading this community have rebooted my router. Still having the same issue. Spotify plays on my iphone and iPad no problem connected via wifi. Is this a Sonos problem or a Spotify problem? And why did it just start. It was working fine on Friday and as of Saturday it started with the error. I submitted diagnostic 7140580.

Hi Bkluck,

Please reboot all of your Sonos units by unplugging them for ten seconds or so. After they're back online, test out Spotify and let me know how it goes.
Hi Jeff S, the reboot seems to have done the trick 🙂
As I did not get an answer I am posting this again.

I am having trouble connecting to spotify as well. The problem started a week or so ago after having been fully functional for about 2 years.

I have a similar issue with Amazon Prime music.The only solution is to power off then on again my playbar. Only had it a week and had to do this twice already. Not impressed!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
As I did not get an answer I am posting this again.

Hi vselleby,

Please check for updates on your Sonos system. I've added a patch which may help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a similar issue with Amazon Prime music.The only solution is to power off then on again my playbar. Only had it a week and had to do this twice already. Not impressed!

Hi buzben,

There's currently an outage affecting Amazon Music on Sonos but if you continue to have issues after the outage is resolved, please send in a diagnostic report and reply with the number, I'll check it out.
@ Jeff S - good to know. Many thanks.
haven't bee able to play spotify. "connection with spotify was lost" message pops up. haven't checked into DNS settings. submitted diagnostics. # 7152176
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
haven't bee able to play spotify. "connection with spotify was lost" message pops up. haven't checked into DNS settings. submitted diagnostics. # 7152176

Hi izzoteric,

Please reboot your BRIDGE and PLAYBAR by removing them from power for ten seconds. Once they're back online, test out Spotify again and let me know how it goes.
thanks, that seemed to have done the trick 😉