Question

Spotify issues

• 4 December 2016
  • 9 replies

Badge
Hi my play 5 worked great with Spotify but recently I continually get unable to play connection to Spotify lost.

All other streaming services work and I have tried both wireless and cable connection. I have also reset the play 5 and controller however the problem still persists

Diagnostics submitted ref 6821196

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi my play 5 worked great with Spotify but recently I continually get unable to play connection to Spotify lost.

All other streaming services work and I have tried both wireless and cable connection. I have also reset the play 5 and controller however the problem still persists

Diagnostics submitted ref 6821196

Hi Chincha,

It looks like there's a DNS issue causing connection failures between your Sonos system and Spotify. Normally your Sonos system uses the DNS server from your ISP, do you have an alternate DNS server set up? If not it may help to reboot your router and each Sonos unit to update the network information.
Badge
Hi Jeff I have an alternate DNS setup however that can't be the issue as other online services work.

Interestingly I have updated the play today and it works better now only occasionally dropping out. I have noticed that there is lag however when trying to play a track.

New diagnostics done under reference 6844512

Thanks for your help
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff I have an alternate DNS setup however that can't be the issue as other online services work.

Interestingly I have updated the play today and it works better now only occasionally dropping out. I have noticed that there is lag however when trying to play a track.

New diagnostics done under reference 6844512

Thanks for your help

The Sonos system connects to Spotify through a different server. We've seen that some DNS redirect services introduce extra latency which can cause the Sonos system's connection to timeout. Are you able to test out Spotify without using the alternate DNS?
Badge
Yeah can do will report back once done
Badge
Hi so I've put in google dns and also my ISP dns and streaming seems better however the app still states unable to connect and occasionally the Sonos app restarts and/or skips the current song and goes to the next. This can be after a few seconds to a few mins of playing a song and seems random. Have submitted another diagnostics under reference 6855046
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It may also help to adjust the wireless channel on your router. There's another network nearby with a strong signal on the same channel as your router. Your Sonos speaker is losing connection from time to time with your network. Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 1 or 11 and see how it goes.
Badge
Thanks Jeff will try that also. Is there any way for me to look at the diagnostics or logs from the device myself?? Seems pretty useless that the info can be sent to Sonos but not obviously available to users
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Jeff will try that also. Is there any way for me to look at the diagnostics or logs from the device myself?? Seems pretty useless that the info can be sent to Sonos but not obviously available to users

You can view diagnostic reports from your system. To do so, type in the IP of a Sonos unit on your system with some extra characters at the end. Try this: http://IP_Address:1400/support/review

You can find your speaker's IP by looking at the "About my Sonos system" menu.
Badge
Wow thanks Jeff didn't know you could do that will trouble shoot myself from now on. Appreciate the support