Answered

Spotify "connect to a device" doesn't list Sonos speakers

• 17 October 2020
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

When I run the Spotify application on my Windows 10 laptop it (almost) never finds my Sonos speakers. When I start the Spotify app on my Android or Apple phone it immediately shows all available devices. When I start the Sonos app on my laptop it also finds the Sonos speakers within a second. All my devices are on the same wifi network and same vlan. The problem seems to be in the Spotify Windows client. Or is it something in the Sonos system?

icon

Best answer by Roel Janssens 4 November 2020, 16:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Roel Janssens, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

If you can submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number from your Windows 10 laptop and your mobile device to compare the reports to further check and see what's going on.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know. We’ll wait for your reply.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

laptop 664641934

phone 1239523113

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Roel Janssens, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostics. Let me check it for you.

After reviewing the reports, I see that your Sonos speakers, Android phone, and Windows PC are connected to the same network. No issue found within your system telling us that you're having a playback problem with Spotify.

You mentioned that when you open the Spotify from your Android or Apple device, it showed all available devices but not from your Windows 10 laptop.

I'd like to ask a few questions and will give some suggestions on what you can follow.

1. Is the Spotify app on your laptop updated?
2. Have you tried to logout and re-login to the Spotify account?
3. Have you tried rebooting your network and all Sonos devices to refresh the connections?

If you're still having the same issue, you may reach out to Spotify for further assistance or you can check out the following links from the Spotify website.

Reference:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Device-won-t-show-up-in-Devices/td-p/267236

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/i-cant-get-spotify-to-play-on-my-speaker/

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
  1. Yes, all my apps are always up to date.
  2. Yes, I already tried that
  3. Yes, I’ve also done that

I have the feeling the problem is indeed in the Spotify Windows app and that it isn’t a Sonos problem. I tried playing with the Windows Firewall to see if that helped but it didn’t.

I’ll take a look at the URL’s you sent!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Roel Janssens, thank you for your response and for performing the troubleshooting steps. We really appreciate it and keep us posted.

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic if you still have further questions or concerns. 

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sadly enough it still doesn’t work, I wish Spotify was as helpful as you ...

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Roel Janssens, thank you for updating us. I'm sorry to hear that the Spotify app installed on your laptop still not finding your Sonos devices. 

Let me suggest the following basic troubleshooting to isolate the issue.
1. Try uninstalling and re-installing the Spotify app from your Windows 10 laptop.
2. Hardwire your laptop directly to your router. Does it make any difference?
3. If available, try accessing your Spotify account to other computer devices.

If the suggested steps still don't work, you may contact our Sonos Customer Care to remotely connect to your devices and find out what's going on. 

If you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have found a workaround!

The Sonos speakers are always visible on my mobile but not always on my laptop. When I first grab my mobile i must pick one random song and play it on one of the Sonos speakers.
After this I start Spotify on my laptop and the green bar at the bottom immediately shows what it’s currently playing on that previous Sonos speaker which I had chosen on my mobile.
Now I can browse through Spotify on my laptop and play it onto the Sonos speaker because now Spotify sees the speaker.

I’m still curious why this happens though. Why does my mobile have to ‘wake up’ the Sonos speaker so my laptop can use it?

Solution for me was to makre sure my spotify app device is on same wifi as sonos devices
If you have two or more wifi networks within the same router, let´s say a 2.4GHz and another 5GHz wifi then I got the problem with the spotify app. If all are on the same (in 2.4GHz in my case) all is good. Permanently.

Im experiencing the exact same issue despite being on the same network. The workaround is a horrible user experience:

1. Open Spotify to play music on desktop > nothing availible in “connect to device”
  2. Find phone, find Spotify app, click ‘listen on phone’ (since its playing on desktop)
  3. In Spotify app: Start playing on Sonos-speaker 
  4. (OPTIONAL) When spotify-app doesnt discover speakers, i have to go the Sonos app and start playing from there, then back to Spotify app
  5. Go back to desktop and take over music playing, and then the Sonos speaker is availible from “connect to device”

NOTE: While my phone show all speakers, my desktop now show only the single speaker that ive “activated” in this process.

Screenshot is after the process, i still have a bunch more speakers availible in the sonos app and in spotify mobile

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @BobbyBobby

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern.

To help you out with this, allow me to ask a few questions to isolate the issue.

• Are you using the latest app versions of Sonos and Spotify apps?
  • In the Sonos app, do you see all your speaker rooms?
  • Have you tried using other devices?
  • Is your mobile device connected to the same WiFi network as your Sonos speakers?

It might also be helpful if you can submit diagnostic reports, from your desktop and your mobile device, just in case something stands out there. Please reply with the confirmation numbers in your response. 

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, I'll be glad to assist you.

My problem fits the headline perfectly. I use Spotify with a win 10 Desktop a iPad and an android 10 mobile and a win 10 laptop.

But mainly I want to use my mobile, I find that more comfortable. The desktop uses a lot of electricity. 

I used to have this problem on and off lately. Sometimes I could find the Sonos on my mobile Spotify app or the iPad, but not my desktop. But lately Sonos doesn’t show up in „devices“ in Spotify on any of the devices i use. All the other device the mobile the iPad the Desktop the laptop even the google home everything shows up in the Spotify app. Only Sonos doesn‘t want to join us.

i can use the Sonos App to stream Spotify from my mobile and from the desktop and stream local files as well. But it regularly skips Spotify titles. Says it can’t connect to Spotify, but plays the next track from Spotify without any problems. And sometimes it simply stops midtrack and jumps to the next.

i have checked for updates on all devices. I switch the channels for Sonos and WiFi from 6 / 11 and vice versa. I reconnected the account. I even reinstalled the apps. I restarted the speakers. I did a reset and  I changed from wired to wireless and back. 

i don’t know what else to do.

Oh and I could AirPlay Spotify from my iPad.

my diagnostics: 1963558234

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Moepod,

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for your detailed description of your concern. We appreciate all your effort in trying to resolve the issue. At this point, I would recommend contacting our phone support for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. It would be great if you can provide our team with your full network setup including the make and model to check for hardware compatibility. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.  

unplug your sonos speakers for 1min then plug them back in and switch on.

works for me every time.Good luck