Question

Spotify connect problems after lots of troubleshooting

• 6 February 2021
  • 1 reply

• Contributor II
  • 4 replies

I have a sonos S1 system which comprises 5 older connect amps connected to ceiling speakers, one newer Sonos amplifier and one Sonos One. I also have multiple amazon echos and I have 2 Sky Q boxes. All are on the same enterprise level network and all the Sonos equipment is on wired Cat6, not wireless.

In the Spotify app, when I select devices, I cannot see any of the Sonos speakers or amps. I see all off the echo devices no problem and I see the 2 sky boxes. My Spotify account is linked in the Sonos S1 app and I can play Spotify no problem through the Sonos S1 app (albeit with the usual limited functionality). If I start Spotify through the Sonos app and then launch Spotify app from within the Sonos app, the Spotify app does not see that I'm using Sonos as a device and the device menu does not detect the Sonos system, despite the fact that the music is streaming though the sonos speakers. Under Airplay, I can use the 2 airplay compatible devices but none of the others.

I have unlinked everything, uninstalled Sonos and Spotify apps, restarted the iPhone, restarted all the sonos equipment, logged out of accounts and logged back in again to no avail. I've checked all the necessary network settings link mDNS, IGMP snooping, STP etc and restarted the entire network. 

These issues also occur on an older android tablet that I also occasionally use. 

This is going on for a few weeks. Previously it had worked ok with the same identical setup. Yesterday I made a chance discovery when I asked one of my echo dots to play music in a particular room. ('Alexa, play XXX in XXX"). The music played through the sonos speakers in that particular room as expected and when I then opened the Spotify app, that particular room's Sonos speakers appeared in the device list! I did it for a few other rooms an the same thing happened. 

It appears that the Spotify app cannot find the Sonos speakers on the network, but Alexa can and that somehow allows the Sonos app to see them. 

It's a real pain not being able to use the Spotify app to control the sonos speakers. 

Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @ro76, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community regarding this.

Sounds like you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already - what I would suggest at this point is to simplify the network. To start with, mind powering off each SkyQ box at the wall? 

SkyQ boxes act as wireless extenders, and can sometimes develop issues passing through specific types of network traffic - if you power off each SkyQ box, are you then able to see each room within the Spotify app?