Answered

Spotify always skips when first starting up

Badge

Since switching from Google Play to Spotify, every time I begin playing music on Spotify, the music cuts out, skips, and speaker groups fade in and out. This usually resolves itself in the first minute of playing the first song - but I never (that I can remember) had the issue with Google Play.  I also had some issues with speakers cutting out periodically, which I seem to have largely fixed by hardwiring my Sonos Sub to my wireless router. 

Any ideas on how to fix the Spotify skipping? It makes me not want to play music.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 April 2020, 21:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Badge

Hi @Jean C. You were so helpful in my last situation, that hopefully you can help with this new situation: https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/speakers-not-connecting-right-away-6843599

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Glad to hear it, @JasonAndrew!

Happy listening to you. 

Badge

@Jean C. I mounted a little shelf high in the corner above my computer with my wired Play One, and things have been working a lot better. I’ll keep you posted if any issues return. Thanks for your guidance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JasonAndrew,

That’s a pretty sweet set-up you have there.

Definitely getting your Sonos One up and away from the Sub and other audio gear will help it be able to broadcast a clean signal and communicate reliably with the rest of your Sonos system.

If you can find a way to get it more securely situated, I think you’re on your way to playback stability. 

Keep us posted on your set-up! 

Badge

I had the speaker sitting on top of a subwoofer by my TV and audio gear. I then moved it to a shelf above (see photo), but the problems kept happening. The speaker groups were cutting out so frequency that I resorted to replugging in my Dining Room speaker int the satellite Orbi and it’s been a lot more stable since then. So maybe the speakers randomly cutting out has to do with interference from the signal being broadcast from the Play One in my Living Room.  I can try putting the Play one up higher. See in the second photo the placement of all the living room speakers. 

Here’s a diagnostic with both the living room 2 Play One plugged into direction to the main router and the Dining room Play1 plugged into the satellite Orbi: 88806296. It’s been pretty stable.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @JasonAndrew,

Thanks for the update and fresh diagnostic reports.

I’m sorry for the delay in responding, it’s been a bit crazy.

All players grouped to “Living Room 2” with that as the only wired unit looks like the ideal configuration here. 

Everything there looks beautiful until I see this massive latency spike in the network that I assume corresponds with your audio issues. 

Can you provide more detail or even a picture of where your Sonos One is situated?

What is is sitting on or near? are there any Cordless phones, radio devices, humidifiers/dehumidifiers or anything within a few feet of this player that might suddenly kick on and cause issues?  

Badge

@Jean C. I unplugged all of my speakers, then began plugging them back in starting with Living room 2, and then Living Room, and then Dining Room, and then Garage, and then Master Bedroom. They all came back, but after about 40 minutes the speakers are cutting out again - very frequently. 

Here is diagnostic: 586842959

Badge

Hi @Jean C. My Garage Play 3 is probably about less than 10 feet from my Living room Play 3 by line of sight. However, even right now, I’m seeing the living room play 3s cut out numerous times (every 30 seconds or so), and the sub, and one of my dining room speakers as well. They kind of rotate through which one is cutting out. Usually, my Living Room 2 doesn’t cut out - as it’s the one plugged in.  These diagnostics are with the Dining Room plugged into too. 

Here’s one diagnostic: 121507138

Here’s another about 5 minutes later: 1462801596

I’ve just unplugged the Dining Room Play 1 and it played for awhile then all the speakers except for Living Room 2, and then the other living room and dining room speakers been coming on intermittently and then going on and off going. 

Here’s diagnostic since unplugged Dining Room: 908782623

Don I need to unplug all the speakers and plug them back in after unplugged the dining room speaker hooked up to Satellite Orbi?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @JasonAndrew,

How far away is the Garage Play:3 from the Sonos One wired to the primary mesh node? 

How far away is the Garage Play:3 next closest Sonos speaker in your system? 

Can you test this with the Ethernet cable detached on the Dining Room Play 1? 

I’d like to see if streamlining the network connection changes anything in the routing on your system.

I hadn’t previously been taking “Garage” into account but it may have a harder time if it’s further away from the rest of your players.  

Badge

Hi @Jean C. . the speakers came back online after enabling wifi. However, some do cut out from time to time. For example, I’ve lost the speaker in the garage a couple of times in the last hour where it would cut out for a few seconds and then come back. Latest diagnostic is here: 1185619373

I did two diagnostics one after another because I forgot to get the number - so this is the second one. Hopefully, diagnostics show data past the prior diagnostic.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @JasonAndrew,

Yes, your Sonos player will automatically detect the Ethernet connection and, as you very accurately describe, communicate via mesh to your other Sonos products. 

Essentially, your Sonos is running a shadow-mesh in your network that will allow it to bypass other potential sources of interference. 

Badge

Thanks for the insight @Jean C. I thought that the disable wifi setting was to tell the speaker to get the internet signal from the ethernet cable vs. my wifi. So, to clarify, I don’t have to do anything to tell Sonos to get the signal from the ethernet cable? If I have an ethernet cable plugged into any speaker, the system will automatically default to that signal and then use the Sonos mesh network to talk to the other speakers vs. my personal wifi network?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @JasonAndrew,

It’s very important that you keep WiFi enabled on all of your Sonos products, even the ones that are plugged into Ethernet. 

That WiFi interface allows the speakers to communicate with each other and allows for the one that’s wired to broadcast to your system. 

Please wire any speakers that you have disabled the WiFi on and re-enable it and then plug everything back in.

Unfortunately the diagnostic report that you submitted just prior came back as “corrupted” so I am unable to offer guidance on the playback issue that was occurring just prior. 

Once you have your system back up please update us with a new report so I can continue to assist you.   

Badge

@Jean C. Okay - so I noticed that my new Sonos one has wifi enabled even though it was plugged in via ethernet. So I disabled wifi, but when I did the rest of my speakers disappeared. I thought the Sonos One would create a mesh network for the rest of the speakers. I tried “Find a missing Product” on my Play 3, and it wanted to set it up as a brand new speaker. So, now the new Play 3 shows up but as “not confiigured” and all the rest of my speakers are still missing. Here’s the new diagnostic since I disabled the wifi: 765291383

Badge

@Jean C. Sadly, it’s acting up again. It’s not skipping songs, but the speakers are going in and out. For example, i have Living 2 and Living Room 1 grouped, and it will play for awhile, and then the Living Room 1 Play 3s will go out, and then will all go out except for the subwoofer, and then they will all come back for a minute, and then randomly go off again. I tried unplugging all of them, including unplugged the ethernet from the dining room, and then powering them all back on starting with Living Room 2 which has the ethernet. Here’s a diagnostic: 55461845

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @JasonAndrew,

I’m glad that the situation is improving for you. I don’t usually like to recommend keeping players wired to satellites unless absolutely necessary but it shouldn’t really hurt anything. 

If you find that you are having issues, the first thing I would then do is to un-wire the speaker wired to the secondary node to see if it resolves any issues.

The “Room Name” designation within the Sonos app is completely arbitrary. When you have multiple un-bonded speakers in the same physical location it’s generally a good idea to give them each a different name within Sonos so that you know which is which. You could name one of them “Living Room and the other set “Lounge” or even “George” if you wanted to. 

Keeping the room names from overlapping gets really important if you decide to add voice control to the system. Voice services aren’t very good at telling the difference between “Living Room 1” and “Living Room 2”     

Badge

Thanks @Jean C. I got the speaker and plugged it in - so far so good. I left the other speaker in the kitchen plugged in too via the Orbi satellite router. I figure having two speakers plugged in to ethernet would be good, if that will cause conflicts, let me know.

I did consider the Boost, but it’s $99, and the speaker is $125, so why not get the same functionality as boost but also get extra sound? I didn’t realize that you can only have two speakers (or 2 + a sub) in a room, so now I have two living room rooms that I have to group together. I’d prefer to have the three in one room, but that’s fine.

Thanks for the help. I’ll let you know if it continues to solve the problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @JasonAndrew,

You could absolutely plug a single, non-stereo speaker or Sonos product into your network.

If your router is in a location where you do not want or need a speaker, we make the Sonos Boost to do that job instead.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Your using the Play:1 as the bridge device hooked to router.   That doesn’t mean you always have to be using it - it will transmit with the other devices even when its not in use.   it’s not going to be a part of your stereo pair so don’t worry with the part on which of 2 should be wired.

Badge

Thanks for clarifying everything @Jean C.  Instead of running a 20-foot wire to my Play 3 across space where the cord can be seen, another idea I had is to get a Play 1 that I would plug into my main router. If I put that speaker into my Living Room group with my two Play 3s,  (not in a stereo pair), and then I always added it first in the group, do you think that would work? Or do I need to plug into a stereo pair?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @JasonAndrew

Thank you for the additional information and the fresh diagnostic report. 

Running a line directly from your Primary Orbi router to your Sonos speakers would be ideal and the Play:3s will work just as well as the Play: 1s in this capacity. As mentioned about, it’s best for the wired unit to be the left channel of the stereo pair rather than the right. 

When you are using your Sonos system with the rooms grouped together the room that starts the music playback is the “Group Coordinator” 

For example: 

If you un-group all of your rooms in the Sonos app and start playback to your “Living Room” zone and then touch the group button on the rooms list and add “Dining Room” to the playback group, “Living Room” would become the “group coordinator” for this playback grouping. 

Having the room with the strongest network connection start playback for the other speakers may help keep playback stable.

You may also want to reboot your Sonos players by unplugging them all briefly from power, this also tends to clear up some playback issues. Make sure that  you do not forget about the one in the garage.   

Badge

Hello Jean. 

As for the Dining Room vs. Living Room, I’ve had this set up for many years, and I know the Play 1s in the dining room are labeled Dining Room in Sonos. I’ve only played DIning Room before 100s of times, so I’m confident of that fact. I’m not sure why the diagnostics would show that I was hard wired into dining room in the last set up. 

I did just connect the ethernet to the Sattelite Orb to Dining room. I was working with this set up for a while, but has now begun to skip again periodically. Here is diagnostic number on this set up. 301938794.

Also, can you explain “Group coordinator”? What does that mean? If I’m grouping Living Room and Dining Room - how would I tell Sonos to have it make Dining room the group coordinator?  

It sounds like you are saying I need to run a hard line from my main router - but does it really matter whether it goes to my Living Room Play 3s or my Dining Room play 1s?  Living Room Play 3s would be a lot easier logistically.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @JasonAndrew

You can test the veracity of this claim by playing music only to the “Dining Room” and seeing which speakers actually start playing. 

You can of course physically rearrange the speakers themselves or you can edit their “room names” in the settings menu of your Sonos app. 

Settings > System > “Dining Room”> Name > select form list or enter custom name.

The L/R stereo channel designation can be changed within the Sonos app by un-pairing then recreating the stereo pair.

Wiring to a satellite mesh node is not recommended in most cases as it introduces another opportunity for data loss. I’m hoping that we can iron out the playback wrinkles after getting so good test data from the wired configuration. Sometimes making sure that the “group coordinator” is the room with the strongest network connection can do enough resolve the issue.     

Badge

Hi Jean. 

That’s odd that diagnostics would say I’ve got the Dining Room speakers plugged in, because I do have it plugged into the Living Room (right) speaker. Does it work if I plug the Dining room speaker into the Orbi Satellite Router or do I need to plug into the main router?  Also, I assume I can just change which is the right or left speaker in Sonos vs. physically moving the speaker. I’m not using it for Surround Sound, so it really doesn’t matter to me which is left or right.   As for paying for a Sonos Boost, I’d really prefer not to. Already, I’m going to have to replace my Play 5 because Sonos is making it obsolete if I want to remain on up-to-date software. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @JasonAndrew,

Thank you for reaching back out with the updated diagnostic report. 

It looks like you actually have one of your Dining Room speakers plugged in rather than your Living Room speaker. 

In which case you you would want to test playback on Dining Room alone and then add Living Room to it.

Having the room that’s wired also be the “group coordinator” or the room that leads the playback can positively effect the playback quality.

I still don’t like the idea of Spotify skipping at all here though so I’d like to further recommend that you wire the designated “left” speaker of either the dining room or the living room into the router and then lead playback with that room. The left speaker of a L/R stereo pair tends to be in charge of directly playback for the “room” so it’s best to have that one be the wired contact for your Sonos system rather than the “Right” channel. 

If the skipping issue resolves or improves noticeably in this wired configuration, you may want to invest in a Sonos Boost to take over that job from one of your speakers as @Airgetlam  suggests.