Answered

Split system issues

• 29 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
  • Prominent Collaborator I
  • 105 replies

I have run a split system for a long time.  This is still noted as a supported configuration on sonos.com here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4845?language=en_US

I just returned from vacation, and while away I used my sonos S2 app on a different wifi network (with some of my s2 devices).

When I returned home, the S2 app connected just fine to my S2 devices.

HOWEVER… My S1 app wouldn’t connect to any of my S1 devices.  So, I reset it.  The usual process is that it asks me to press “mute+volume up” to identify which system I want to connect to.  However, it doesn’t do that… After resetting, it just ‘finds’ my S2 system without asking me to press any buttons.  Of course, the S1 app isn’t compatible with my S2 system so it just complains and tells me to use the S2 app.  I tried the desktop app and had the same problem -- it finds the S2 system not the s1 system.

How do I reconnect to my S1 system??  I have submitted a diagnostic, but it was from my S1 app while connected to the S1 system… I have no way to actually submit a diagnostic from the s1 system itself.  Diagnostic is 1857504022.

icon

Best answer by timc995 1 May 2022, 23:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I would first try a reboot of the router and/or the S1 players and give it another try - if discovery of the S1 HH still fails, try cabling one of the S1 players to the router and try the system discovery again with a reset S1 App/connecting to the existing system.

Hope you can get it sorted. 👍

While I don’t think Sonos particularly suggests it, anecdotal evidence is, if you’re setting up a ‘new’ S1 system in the presence of an already existing S2 system, it’s probably wise to unplug all S2 devices until you’ve set up the ‘new’ S1 system, then plug them back in. Less ‘confusion’ that way.

FWIW, factory resetting your S1 devices probably hindered more than helped. In general, you should absolutely avoid doing any factory resets unless instructed by Sonos. 

I’d also connect that first S1 device you’re setting up directly to the router with an Ethernet cable as a temporary thing, once it’s all set back up, and all the speakers are back working, you can likely remove that cable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m not sure the OP did factory reset their S1 stuff, hopefully they just reset the app.

in any case the fix is easy: power down all S2 devices, get S1 working again, then power them back up.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

It turned out to be a problem with my router.  I started having a lot of weird wifi issues - where some devices had disappeared from my network.  I had two SSIDs running from the router… one for 2.4GHz and the other for 5.0GHz.  They had different names.  It turned out that the ‘advertised’ 5.0GHz SSID was actually the 2.4GHz band, and I had no 5.0GHz band at all.

I replaced the router and all is well now.