Answered

Spinning ball when finding Recently Played stations

• 15 February 2021
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi there,

I wonder why my Sonos app has difficulty finding the Recently Played stations on my Sonos app for iOS. It shows the spinning ball for a very long time mostly without finding anything. However, sometimes the list shows up immediately (but rarely though). 

What can I do? 

Any help is appreciated. 

kind regards Peter 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 March 2021, 15:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Jeff2 thanks for notifying :thumbsup: You’re right. I noticed it yesterday and it was a relief… 

Unfortunately, while fixing this old issue the developers created a new one (unbelievable :rolling_eyes:  ) . After the update, the streaming service IDAGIO crashes on my iOS device every time I try to connect the service to the Sonos system - in my case the Sonos Connect device. So now it’s impossible to use the IDAGIO app. It’s REALLY annoying :frowning2:

This time, it will be interesting to see how long it takes for the developers to acknowledge the new issue. Last time it took about 6 months.

Yesterday’s update seems to have fixed the problem for me!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Impossible to get in touch with technical support ☹️ and this annoying problem continue. Please Sonos,  get moving or roll back to the previous version. It worked perfect back then. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Happening again this morning. Ridiculous.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’m also having the spinning wheel in the middle of the app as the Recently Played fails to load. Closing the app and opening again allows it to work for several minutes before the problem occurs again.

This problem has been going on for several months, lasting through several iOS updates, a Sonos firmware update, and several Sonos app updates.

My system is hardwired.

I talked on the phone with multiple Sonos customer support agents. They used the diagnostic report to confirm my network and system were functioning.

Because I don’t have another iOS device to replicate the problem, they blamed it on my phone and closed the ticket. I attempted to tell them there were posts here and on Reddit with the same issue.

The issue continues for me.

Obviously their products are not as good as they once were.

I came here to see if others were experiencing this issue- as I have experienced it for at least a couple of months and it is particularly annoying. This bug with the Sonos App (or something within the Sonos ecosystem) surely could be resolved as it worked without issue previously? The “spinning wheel” is intermittent for me but has become a regular appearance of late.

My details are similar to those of “Jeff2” -- hardwired/Gigabit Internet/several iOS updates/Sonos app udpates/etc.

I haven’t spoken with Sonos customer support agents as, quite frankly, it appears from the related reports they don’t have anything to add and prefer to pin the blame on non-Sonos pieces of the puzzle.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks @Corry P

To me, it feels like a bug but I know what you mean 👍🏼

The only device that my Sonos app is communicating with is my Sonos Connect. Furthermore, I’ve noticed that the Recently Played station shows up the first time I open the app, but when I return later, the spinning wheel occurs without finding any stations at all. 

Let’s see what the technical support finds out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Obviously, this is a bug. Furthermore, very sad that the customers are left behind with comments like “millions of people are not experiencing this problem”. My WiFi is super fast and handles everything perfect- except the Sonos Recent Played function which has worked perfectly before. 

Anyway, I will contact the technical support but I already know the answer. 

Perhaps we’re disagreeing about what a “bug” is. When we do release a software update that has a bug (an incorrectly written piece of code) - it has happened - we immediately get a massive influx of contacts from our customers reporting the issue, on all channels. As this particular issue is affecting only a small number of users, it’s likely that it’s not a bug as such, but an issue with the app communicating either with your speakers or particular music services. I agree that to you it appears as buggy behaviour. 

If it’s a networking issue, it may well only manifest on your Sonos system - how many of your WiFi devices stay in constant communication with each other, as well as the internet? This is handled by different routines and protocols on your router than providing an internet connection, and can be subject to different issues and settings.

Hopefully, technical support will find the source of the problem for you.

Edit: we are aware of this issue occuring to a small number of people and are actively investigating the cause.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Obviously, this is a bug. Furthermore, very sad that the customers are left behind with comments like “millions of people are not experiencing this problem”. My WiFi is super fast and handles everything perfect- except the Sonos Recent Played function which has worked perfectly before. 

Anyway, I will contact the technical support but I already know the answer. 

I’m also having the spinning wheel in the middle of the app as the Recently Played fails to load. Closing the app and opening again allows it to work for several minutes before the problem occurs again.

This problem has been going on for several months, lasting through several iOS updates, a Sonos firmware update, and several Sonos app updates.

My system is hardwired.

I talked on the phone with multiple Sonos customer support agents. They used the diagnostic report to confirm my network and system were functioning.

Because I don’t have another iOS device to replicate the problem, they blamed it on my phone and closed the ticket. I attempted to tell them there were posts here and on Reddit with the same issue.

The issue continues for me.

Obviously their products are not as good as they once were.

I’ll contact support as well.

Actually that didn’t fix it, I removed my entire system and only have the Arc hardwired, still spinning wheel. My only option was to log off to turnoff the recently played. Honestly at the point we should just have the option to remove it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Actually your response did help me, since it made me dig into my Sons app. I went to Settings, System, Network, Manage Network, and clicked Update Network. So it was not a bug, but I also didn’t know that this configuration change was available in the software. I appreciate the response, but it might be worth putting this information in FAQs when people search for the issue.

This entry in the app is only actually about a week old - it used to be called Wireless Setup. I will try to find any pages on our website that still refer to Wireless Setup and get them updated - thank you for pointing this out. 

I’m not convinced this has helped you, however - only one of your Sonos devices is currently online. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Actually your response did help me, since it made me dig into my Sons app. I went to Settings, System, Network, Manage Network, and clicked Update Network. So it was not a bug, but I also didn’t know that this configuration change was available in the software. I appreciate the response, but it might be worth putting this information in FAQs when people search for the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Ok I’ll contact support but I’ll be perfectly frank this response is very condescending. I have a very fast internet and good internet connection and to be honest I’ve noticed the spinning wheel for awhile but finally thought I would look at these forums, I would imagine other customers  may be experiencing the issue but haven’t posted here.

Maybe I’ll post to Reddit and see if others are experiencing as well.

I certainly didn’t mean to sound condescending. I was just saying it the way I see it. I did mention that it has nothing to do with your internet connection but your local network performance (done by the same device, but completely different). However, if you have a Deezer music account, it would be worth removing it to see if that improves things - Deezer have been upgrading their entire back-end which is making some features unreliable, currently.

Ok I’ll contact support but I’ll be perfectly frank this response is very condescending. I have a very fast internet and good internet connection and to be honest I’ve noticed the spinning wheel for awhile but finally thought I would look at these forums, I would imagine other customers  may be experiencing the issue but haven’t posted here.

Maybe I’ll post to Reddit and see if others are experiencing as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is anyone who is experiencing this issue using the Deezer music service? Does the issue go away if you remove your Deezeraccount? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The App is pulling the information from the speakers. If millions of people are not experiencing this issue, it’s unlikely to be a bug. I would assume that local network (not internet) performance is more likely to be the culprit. As mentioned, our technical support team have tools at their disposal to give you advice specific to your system. I recommend that anyone suffering from this problem should contact them.

I have the same issue, iPhone 12 Pro and the newest iPad Pro on WiFi 6, I agree this looks like a software bug. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@GuitarSuperstar 

Let me add, that if I swipe out the Sonos app and fire it up again, the stations usually appear as they are supposed to. Obviously, a bug in the app.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @GuitarSuperstar 

Many thanks for your answer. I’m using a one year old iPhone 11 with iOS 14.4 and a remaining storage of 18 GB. The problem also appears after rebooting. There are no problems with other apps at all. The spinning ball appears three out of four times when search for Recently played stations.

Userlevel 7

Could it be a problem with your phone? Do you have an older iPhone? Do you have problems with other apps? Do you have sufficient storage on your phone? Does the problem improve after rebooting your phone?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Corry P unfortunately, the spinning ball problem continue as the Recently played stations still doesn’t show up. 

I suggest that it’s about time to solve this annoying problem 😑

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Corry P 

Thanks for your reply. I’ve monitored the problem fit a while now and it seems like the Recently played stations show up faster now. 

I will contact you again if it returns. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Hartig 

Are you still having this problem? I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Xander P 

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, I’ve rebooted the router and my Sonos Connect several times without any improvement.

As I can see on the right panel of this discussion, I’m not the only one having this problem so it seems to be a general issue with Sonos on iOS.

Hopefully, your development team can solve this annoying problem.