Answered

Spectrum Internet Provider

• 24 February 2019
  • 19 replies

Badge +1
Did anyone in the Sonos universe ever have an issue with Sonos dropping the music service providers?
icon

Best answer by erumsas1962 8 March 2019, 03:45

After a week. No issues with losing any streaming service.

It was the DNS settings on my iPhone
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Yes, there are many threads about this. It's often attributed to incorrect DNS settings on the router, or incorrect / incomplete location information in the Sonos settings.
Badge +1
Ah. So their is a solution. Yet the Tech seemed to think this was a one off issue.
I"m taking the assumption that when you say "dropping the music providers" you mean that someone like Apple Music stops appearing in your Sonos app as an option.

Sonos is an open platform, they've written an API for pretty much anyone to implement, and then once that's done, Sonos does a QA pass and adds it to their controller. So it's up to the individual third party company to say "yes, we'll stream to Sonos" or not. For instance, MLB has chosen not to allow streaming of their baseball games to Sonos. It's not that Sonos decided to do anything, it's MLB that cut off the stream.
Badge +1
You are correct it is all the streaming services that do stream to Sonos. IMO this is coming down to a router issue - I will get the make and model from my ISP.

I am disappointed at the complete lack of competence in Sonos support. Told to purchase unnecessary equipment and wasting my time.

Had I not invested the money in the system I would have looked at other solutions
You are correct it is all the streaming services that do stream to Sonos. IMO this is coming down to a router issue - I will get the make and model from my ISP.

I am disappointed at the complete lack of competence in Sonos support. Told to purchase unnecessary equipment and wasting my time.

Had I not invested the money in the system I would have looked at other solutions

Would you elaborate on what does "[...] with Sonos dropping the music service providers" actually mean?
In other words, what's your problem actually?
Badge +1
Spotify and Tidel can’t connect through Sonos. I get an error message that states those two music service providers are not a available.

To resolve I unplug the router (Ashkey Wave 2). Than those reappear and I am working again.

Until the next time it drops
Badge +1
Router is Askey Wave 2.
Spotify and Tidel can’t connect through Sonos. I get an error message that states those two music service providers are not a available.

To resolve I unplug the router (Ashkey Wave 2). Than those reappear and I am working again.

Until the next time it drops

And why is this Sonos' fault? You ought to get in contact with your ISP about the matter.
Badge +1
And tell my isp what? I can’t connect to ..... what? Sonos? However I have no issues with any wireless connected device. And I do in fact connect to Sonos ( some of the time) so the ball is throw back to Sonos
And tell my isp what? I can’t connect to ..... what? Sonos? However I have no issues with any wireless connected device. And I do in fact connect to Sonos ( some of the time) so the ball is throw back to Sonos
That there might be some inefficiencies in regard to his content delivery network, perhaps? How is Sonos supposed to deal with that?
Badge +1
No idea what “ inefficiencies in regard to his content delivery network” means or understand the intent.

Thanks
Badge +1
I am not that technically inclined so speaking in those terms - has me at a loss.
I am not that technically inclined so speaking in those terms - has me at a loss.
Just ask your ISP's tech support for assistance.
It should be as simple as saying to them "I have a device that's trying to reach this service, and can't", and the ISP should be able to resolve it from there. It's not a Sonos issue.
Badge +1
I respectfully disagree. I contacted the ISP changed the radio channel from 11 to 1 and suggested I power cycle both the modem and router weekly (it has been 16 days since the last cycle). Firmware is updated

No the ISP will not help because:

All other connected devices work fine. No issues

The problem is not consistent. Up till now I can connect with my music services (Tidel and Spotify) than suddenly nothing. Have to unplug and plug in the router. Than all is well till next time

Only happens to Sonos. No other devices experience any connect issue when Sonos does

In conclusion ISP sent me back to Sonos.
Then at this point, submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Badge +1
Thanks
Badge +1
After a week. No issues with losing any streaming service.

It was the DNS settings on my iPhone
Interesting. Thanks for posting back.