Speakers won’t re register to Sonos account after factory reset

• 29 September 2018
  • 38 replies

Hi, any help gratefully received. I recently factory reset my 2 Sonos Ones due to problems with the Alexa functionality. Have just set them back up again, but the app is now telling me that it can’t find any speakers registered to my Sonos account.

When I attempt to register them, after a long while of trying to link it displays a message saying “Setup problem”, asking me to check my internet connection (which is fine) and that my speakers are plugged in (which they are). It also says to check the system settings on my controller device (iPhone) to check the time and date settings are correct (which they are - just the automatic iPhone time and date).

Have checked my Sonos account on the Sonos website and it’s showing that the 2 speakers are both registered to my account (albeit showing the date of registration as the date I originally registered prior to the factory reset).

Can anyone explain to me why my speakers aren’t registering now, and how I can go about fixing the problem?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Does the speaker setup work if you try it whilst the speaker is cabled to your router over Ethernet?
Oh and don’t forget to choose the Boost Mode setup if you do try that ...and please see the below link of how to switch back to the standard WiFi mode before disconnecting your speaker cable from the router:

Switching a Sonos Household between Standard & BOOST mode & vice versa
I have exactly the same issue. Trying to set a Play1 up on a new network. Have tried both wireless and boost setup and factory reset. The product is showing up in the account, and everything works fine in terms of setting the Sonos play 1 up. However, once setup, and the controller looks as though it’s going to its normal home screen for choosing music etc, it defaults to the “Register your speakers” (we can’t find any speakers registered to your sonos account) screen.

Clicking on register your speakers results in exactly the scenario outlined above - a lot Ng250up time (a number of minutes) trying to do something, then displays exactly th same message as above. This happens on loop and there doesn’t appear to be an way to get past this stage.

Any help much appreciated as I have a useless product at the moment. I’m a long-time sonos user and always been happy but this is getting massively frustrating
r0bbailey,

I would contact Sonos Support via Twitter where they provide 24/7 support and they can perhaps take a look at at what is happening ... see below:

Contact Sonos Support via Twitter.
Ken_Griffiths

Thanks for the response. Have tried connecting one of the speakers via Ethernet and afraid it still doesn’t work. Also can’t change to boost setup mode as can’t get any further I to the app without registering the speakers (which I can’t do). All very frustrating.

What if I don’t have Twitter? Is the email support function as good?

Thanks
I understand the 24/7 support is via Twitter and Facebook ... the email option will obviously work, but I’m not sure that is covered 24/7, so you may have to wait till the weekend is over to get a response in that instance.
Denboj/r0bbailey,

If you do get this issue fixed, can someone here please kindly let me know what the problem was, just for future reference please ... thank you ?
Having this same problem now - working through Twitter support - not very good thus far....will keep you posted. Having the exact same problem as Denboj and r0bbailey....
OK, so Sonos support was of no real help - just relaying their standard flow chart troubleshooting tree. THey were bringing up the 'not a good signal, plug into the router, asking for the model of router, etc.etc'

The problem with this type of thoughtless troubleshooting is that it completely ignores the 10 or so sonos speakers I've setup with no issues.

In any event, the problem I was having was due to a duplicate IP address on the network. There was a computer on the network that was hard coded for an ip address that was within the DHCP scope. It took a while to find it. However, once I changed the hard coded computer to an ip address outside of the DHCP range, everything worked as expected. I was able to register the speaker and create the stereo pair like normal.

HTH!
I had the exact same problem, with the ethernet cable I resolved it, Thanks
I also have this problem. The app says that no speakers are registered to my account but when I check this site it shows the speaker under my account -> products so I think there is a mismatch somewhere.
I also have this problem. The app says that no speakers are registered to my account but when I check this site it shows the speaker under my account -> products so I think there is a mismatch somewhere.In the app, go to Settings, Account Settings. Is the email address the one you are expecting?
I also have this problem. The app says that no speakers are registered to my account but when I check this site it shows the speaker under my account -> products so I think there is a mismatch somewhere.In the app, go to Settings, Account Settings. Is the email address the one you are expecting?

yes and the account id is the same as well.
antti-takalahti,

What happens if you reset your Sonos controller app in 'Advanced Settings' and then choose the option to 'connect your controller back to the existing Sonos system'?.. just make sure you do not create a new system with the controller, stick with the existing one.
I think I have some sort of network issue. This was a huge help: https://bsteiner.info/articles/hidden-sonos-interface and I am able to ping this laptop but not any external service. I just wish I knew how to solve that but I guess it's not a sonos issue per se.
The old advice to power everything off and on again is often remarkably effective. Power down the router and everything on your network. Then power up one device at a time, letting each come up fully before doing the next, starting with the router.
Have same problem, spent over an hour on phone with sonos tech support and did not get a solution. He did suggest going into router and check settings. We turned off 'Enable AIRTIME FAIRNESS ' apparently this can cause problems with sonos. Also, once in router settings, you can get ip address of you speaker and try to ping it. I cannot ping speaker, there is something in the router/internet settings that is blocking the registration. What makes this most confusing is the speaker was working last week...and nothing changed???
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
An easy way to sidestep many of the issues with flaky routers is to wire one or more Sonos components and move the Sonos devices to their own wireless network.
Have same problem, spent over an hour on phone with sonos tech support and did not get a solution. He did suggest going into router and check settings. We turned off 'Enable AIRTIME FAIRNESS ' apparently this can cause problems with sonos. Also, once in router settings, you can get ip address of you speaker and try to ping it. I cannot ping speaker, there is something in the router/internet settings that is blocking the registration. What makes this most confusing is the speaker was working last week...and nothing changed???I agree with Stanley_4, but I would have expected the Support Staff to have already tried that with you, if they were on the phone to you for more than an hour, however wiring a speaker is the best place to start. I would check both the router and controlling devices Network: DNS/Gateway/DHCP settings etc. too.

If using any WiFi extenders/adapters or powerline adapters, then I would turn those off whilst trying to get the speakers up and running on their own SonosNet wireless signal. Be sure to set the SonosNet channel at least 5 channels away from your main routers WiFi channel.
I had the exact same problem, with the ethernet cable I resolved it, Thanks

What process did you take to resolve this using the Ethernet cable?

I had the exact same problem, with the ethernet cable I resolved it, ThanksWhat process did you take to resolve this using the Ethernet cable?

Are you experiencing issues setting up your device after a factory reset then, or do you have another issue?

In most cases the cabling of a speaker to the main routers Ethernet port, post reset, will resolve almost all issues during install.

It’s not clear though if you are setting up a new Sonos Household, or adding to an existing one ...or what the exact issue is in your particular case.

More than happy to try to help you, if you can share some further detail?
I moved to a new house with a new router. I went from modem/router combo to separate modem and router. Initially when I plugged all the speakers in, they would play but I couldn’t play it using the Sonos app on my iPhone X. They only worked using my streaming service (Tidal). Since I cannot edit room settings or separate studio pairs. I then tried to reset the router. I tried to reboot. I did a hard reset. I’ve connected a speaker using an ethernet cord but once the speaker connects, it says I have no speakers registered. Almost everything I’ve done asks me to login and that’s where my issue is. I can not login. It tells me that I have a network error. I’ve checked to ensure that I’m on the same network. Still nothing.

isaiah-n

Ok I would try this...(I’m assuming you have not factory reset any of your Sonos devices)...

Power off all devices, that is all speakers, router and modem and your mobile controller. Give it 30 seconds then power on the devices in this order (see list 1-4), but allow each and every device to settle, before moving onto the next.. If you have any wifi extenders, or repeaters, switch those off too. Also take note of my note below.
  1. modem
  2. router
  3. wired Sonos speaker
  4. mobile device... ensure the mobile is connected to the routers primary WiFi signal and not a guest WiFi network.
Note: leave any wifi extenders, or repeaters, switched off for now and all your wireless Sonos speakers. I would strongly consider using another speaker to cable to the router, rather than the one you are currently using and if possible check the Ethernet cable is working correctly ... you should see lights on the Ethernet port at both ends.

When all 4 steps above are complete, open the Sonos controller App and you should see the one and only powered-on wired speaker appear in the App. If it doesn’t appear then try another Sonos device in its place until you get it to appear. Consider using another cable too in case the original one is faulty and try a different router Ethernet port.

The initial aim is to get the one wired speaker appearing in the Sonos App.

When the above step/aim is achieved, now carry on and do this...
  • Power on each wireless speaker starting with the nearest one to the router and the next nearest and so on.. give each one chance to settle before moving onto the next device.
Each and every Sonos speaker should now reappear in your Sonos App.. if they don’t, then power them 'off' and 'on' again a second time. If they still fail to appear, then set the speaker aside and leave it powered off, for now at least.

Hopefully all, or a majority, of your speakers will reappear in your Sonos App. You may sometimes have to close and reopen the App to refresh the screen, but that’s usually not necessary.

Any wireless only speaker that fails to connect to your Sonos App after trying all these things, can now be factory reset. This is a 'last resort' step and you should not reset all your devices, maybe one, or two, only at this point.

You should now be all up and running with your system.

To now switch all your devices over to your WiFi.. goto 'Advanced Settings/Sonos Settings/Wireless Setup' in the Sonos App and enter your routers main WiFi credentials for the 2.4ghz band. Note: the credentials are case sensitive.

After 30 seconds, or so, you can then un-cable the speaker from your router and move it to where you want to. All Sonos devices should now be up and running on your WiFi signal.

You can now turn back on any WiFi repeaters, or extenders, if you have those, but if they are using the same WiFi SSID and password as your main router, then I recommend you ensure they are running on the same wifi channel(s) as your main router WiFi.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I’ve tried to cover things for you step by step.

Hope the above works for you and gets you back up and running.
All the speakers have been factory reset at this point. This was done prior to our exchange.
isaih_n,

Thats a real pity.
  1. So do you have any devices at all now setup in a new Sonos Household?
  2. Can you tell me what version of iOS, or Android, is running on the Sonos mobile controller device that you are using for the setup process?