Question

Speakers stuttering

• 31 August 2019
  • 17 replies

Speakers began stuttering after adding pair of 1s to a 3 and updating player on my Android. All are connected wirelessly. Have rebooted enrite system from router to all peripherals. Just sent diagnostics #994954177.

17 replies

Note that the forum moderators generally don't work on weekends (generally, they do show up from time to time...)

If you want a quicker response than at the earliest next Monday (for the EU folks, Tuesday here in the states), you may want to contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
Over the past week, I have had song/speaker drop out/stuttering at the start of every track.

Across Play 1, Play One, Play 3, Beam, Amp, etc...via Sonos hub
Spotify is music service
sjlandry, unplug all of your Sonos devices from power. Then reboot your router. When the router comes back up, plug the Sonos devices back in, and give them a minute to come back up, then test.
sjlandry, unplug all of your Sonos devices from power. Then reboot your router. When the router comes back up, plug the Sonos devices back in, and give them a minute to come back up, then test.
Thanks Bruce. I was able to try this for about half of my devices and the bridge. Issue returned after a single song.

My diagnostics submission is 962011937

Will try a total system power/network cycle this weekend.
I think you’ll have a better experience when you do the full system. Doing half doesn’t accomplish the network refresh necessary, and leaves the potential for duplicate IPs on the devices you didn’t reboot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Bridge devices are developing a reputation for failing power supplies after all these years and that could be part of your issue.

You said "all are connected wirelessly" so if your Bridge isn't hooked to Ethernet ignore the first bit.

Hook a second Sonos to your Ethernet and give it a couple minutes to settle in. Remove power from the Bridge. Give your setup a good test to see if the issues are gone. If so just leave another device wired or pick up a Sonos Boost, the replacement for the old Bridge.

If the Bridge is also wireless just remove power from it and see if the system works better without it.
Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

I unplugged the power for all my speakers and Bridge. I let them sit for about 10 minutes, and then rebooted my router.

I next plugged in the Bridge, which is wired with ethernet to the router.
I then walked around the house plugging each speaker in, one at a time.
I let them settle in for about 10 minutes and then attempted to play music.
I encountered the same issue, where music stutters and jumps from speaker to speaker for about 15-20 seconds until it settles in, before having the same issue at the start of the next song.

It seems that my options are to change/replace my bridge, or potentially just switch to my home wifi (is that an option?).

Tempted to post a video of the phenomenon, as it is so darn trippy.
I removed the bridge. Wired a Play 3 to my network and continue to have the same issues.

I also attempted changing the wireless network from Channel 6 to Channel 11.

So confusing and frustrating :(

Finding the issues tend to either be right at the start of the song OR at about 12 seconds.

Anything else I should try?
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
When you “walked around the house plugging each speaker in, one at a time”:

did you allow each each speaker to fully restart and be allocated its IP address, before then plugging in the next one and waiting again for it to fully restart?

If not, please do it that way. Maybe try with the Play:3 as the first device and without the Bridge, and connected to the router rather than anywhere else on the network.

Also, rather than restarting the whole network test it out first with just one or two speakers connected first - those closest to the router.

Are you using any Wi-fi repeaters/range extenders?
I unplugged all my Sonos devices.
Let them sit for a few hours.
Reboot my router.

Attempted to start over with my Bridge but no speakers could be found.
I repeated the power off and router reboot.

Wired a Play One with Ethernet and was able to have the app add the speaker (all speakers and system appeared empty via the mobile and desktop apps).

I have attempted to add a speakers and no speakers are found by the Play One.

Tempted to switch to WiFi instead of Sonos Net, but frustration is mounting. Going from flawless, to not even being able to setup a system from scratch is beyond disappointing.

Has anyone encountered an issue with their whole system disappearing and then not being able to add via a wired networked speaker?

Can a Play One work as a bridge if wired?
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
You said

“ I repeated the power off and router reboot.

Wired a Play One with Ethernet and was able to have the app add the speaker (all speakers and system appeared empty via the mobile and desktop apps). ”

With just that single One connected by cable, could you see it on the app? Whatever room you’ve taken it from, you should see it by that name in the app. (Without the other speakers powered up yet, the other “rooms” will be greyed out as they are not yet on the system.)

Have you done a factory reset of this or any speaker? Don’t reset if you haven’t yet, or you’ll lose any possible Diagnostics data.
Thanks nik9669a. My bridge was reset through all my attempts to get things back only.

This morning, I was able to start adding speakers by resetting them and adding them to the system.
Everything worked wonderfully for 4 Play 1s, 1, Play One, 2 Play 3s, and 1 Beam (all on the first floor). Once I added a Play 1 and Play One upstairs the same stuttering issue returned.

So far about 8+ hours of trouble shooting and I am back to where I started :(

New Diagnostic Submitted: 450236978

Trying to figure out if a speaker is causing these issues (as I was able to add 8 speakers with no issue), some network collision, or something else...?!?
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
It has already been said above that the Bridge power supply is becoming suspect, and that’s why I suggested you try connecting a speaker to the router instead. Have you tried that?

How strong is the link from first floor to upstairs? Maybe you need to boost the signal in that area?
I removed the bridge. Did the power cycle, network cycle, and things seem to be in better shape.
Still having some stuttering around the 12-15 sec mark of each new track.

Additionally having significant performance issues with both the Android and PC controller apps.

Will keep testing and providing updates. Thank for the support!
Since you’ve removed the BRIDGE, the entire system would have changed substantially. It might be worth submitting a new diagnostic, within 10 minutes of experiencing that stuttering, and posting the number here.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Did the problems appear again when you added the upstairs speakers? If so that implied poor comms between speakers on the different levels in the house.

You can get report for your system. In a web browser, type in

the ip address of one of the speakers:1400/support/review eg 192.145.0.75:1400/support/review (btw that's a random set of numbers, nothing to do with any ip addresses I know)

Open (click on) the Matrix Report and take a look. You want to see lots of green and yellow boxes: orange and red are bad!

You could also try with the upstairs speakers removed and see whether you still get the stuttering. If so, a Boost (the Bridge replacement) might help to get the speakers playing nicely.
2039452013 Fresh Diagnostic